Group Buy Sony OLEDs A80J/A90J 55"/65" (Bangalore 2021)

Just 1 question guys, is anyone else underwhelmed with their OLED performance? I had the MI 4X 65 inch TV and i thought it was lacking some oomph but after getting the LG G1, i think I'm having a much harder time getting the 1 size fits all picture performance. The picture is kinda dim compared to the MI TV when it comes to normal SD/HD content viewed on a PC. I think i just blew 2.2L on something that's a little ho hum.

Honestly, not a single person who saw the LG G1 thought it's performance was better than the MiTV

Disclaimer: viewing angles are obviously better and so are blacks and response time but really, it's not more enticing than the MiTV 4X and in some instances, worse.

Plus, the headache of burn in.

I guess it's only for people with Blu Ray players.

The only time i think it's worth it's price is when i play the LG demos tailor made for the TV (and then again, perhaps not)

Last edited:
Guys I feel this EVO panel thing is a tad bit overhyped, those of you who have managed to take a peek at a G1 in real life or seen YouTube reviews of it will have noticed that it is barely any brighter than the C series.

Sony A90J gets really bright for an OLED not because of EVO but due to the heat sink attached to it n the fact that XR processor knows precisely which scenes it has to push brighter highlights .

Just 1 question guys, is anyone else underwhelmed with their OLED performance? I had the MI 4X 65 inch TV and i thought it was lacking some oomph but after getting the LG G1, i think I'm having a much harder time getting the 1 size fits all picture performance. The picture is kinda dim compared to the MI TV when it comes to normal SD/HD content viewed on a PC. I think i just blew 2.2L on something that's a little ho hum.

Honestly, not a single person who saw the LG G1 thought it's performance was better than the MiTV

Disclaimer: viewing angles are obviously better and so are blacks and response time but really, it's not more enticing than the MiTV 4X and in some instances, worse.

The only time i think it's worth it's price is when i play the LG demos tailor made for the TV (and then again, perhaps not)
After having owned TVs from all the major brands, I've come to the conclusion that nobody does picture quite like Sony. Even my 9 year old W800 comes eerily close to black performance as my G1

I don't understand this obsession with brightness levels when I have my cx TVs level set at 80 % and even lower . And that's for a normally lit room.
I was watching the squid game on Netflix yesterday and at a bitrate of 15 mbps , the detail and sharpness was amazing.
All hd, full hd and 4k inputs are not the same.
Haven't compared the sony pq to the cx but to say that the cx is underwhelming, is a exaggeration.

The squid game got Netflix into trouble it seems due to an unusually high internet traffic! Some news is going on rounds. Gotta check that out.

True, if you can afford for an oled and just watch prime or Netflix it's absolutely not worth it. You need to have proper setup to experience it's true potential. And most of the movies are not available in streaming service.
And contents what matters the most and sadly there's limited content in 4k Bluray. Also all those 24fps movies in 120hz panel with motion blur and judder and stutter, it's really subjective and hence you have to see if you can live with it as some ppl get headaches watching these.
Also I'm not sure why high brightness matters, I watch movies in a closed room with no source of lights, and most of the time I reduce the brightness, so I have this question does brightness and nits matter if you watch in dark room? Also who watches movies in bright well lit rooms?

The picture is kinda dim compared to the MI TV when it comes to normal SD/HD content viewed on a PC.
As you are some one in to audio as well let me share an example. Take Denon,marantz. They perform the best when you play a Dolby or DTS file. But when you play a 2.0 file and upstream they sound bad most cases. Similarly the main purpose of Oled is for 4k. Even high quality 1080p contents looks good. I some times check the source if it’s really 1080p cause upscaling is that good. Similarly if you want to play some poor contents and except exceptional performance in an LG Oled it’s asking for to much. It’s like you spend 10-15L in setting up a dedicated HT room with atmos, DTS-X and auro 3D capabilities but watching YouTube and complaining audio performance is not worth spending 15L. If majority viewing is poor contents, cable then definitely Oled is not the right choice

Last edited:
OTT / Streaming / YT videos is definitely the future... I would think. And as of today .. they cannot match the quality of Bluray discs.. both in terms of video and audio bitrates. We dont get so many BD discs as well in India... And is obviously costly too.

So... guess we need to be content with whatever source quality of the OTT is and then the upscaling capabilities of the TV (or the AVR)...

True, if you can afford for an oled and just watch prime or Netflix it's absolutely not worth it. You need to have proper setup to experience it's true potential. And most of the movies are not available in streaming service.
And contents what matters the most and sadly there's limited content in 4k Bluray. Also all those 24fps movies in 120hz panel with motion blur and judder and stutter, it's really subjective and hence you have to see if you can live with it as some ppl get headaches watching these.
Also I'm not sure why high brightness matters, I watch movies in a closed room with no source of lights, and most of the time I reduce the brightness, so I have this question does brightness and nits matter if you watch in dark room? Also who watches movies in bright well lit rooms?
So let me understand correctly, are OLEDs are only meant for watching movies in low light? If that's the case, i should've done my research before taking the plunge. :( (also, my room is dimly lit and even there, the brightness looks ho hum and not of a TV costing >2)

@Love4sound - i get where you're coming from. under the right conditions, the performance of the panel may be superlative. But in the real world, it's hardly so... And in this regard, LCD panels (including the MiTV) do seem to do better. And if the MiTV with a 4k panel can match up and in certain instances look better with regular content, it's kinda underwhelming that a 5x costing OLED panel does not. I don't want to tailor my viewing habits according to the capabilities of the TV. And the thing is, i play a lot of YT on my system and every single time I've upgraded any component(amplifier/speaker), its sounded better. And I'm yet to hear a lesser system that can playback YT better than mine :)

Last edited:
G1 was available for 2.2L after factoring in cashback of 14k last I checked 2 weeks back(prices ex-showroom Delhi). Now, the cashback is 20K i believe.
Do you have the G1? if so what was your last price after cash back.

Well i got a LG B6 Oled since 4.5 years now & yes you re correct in few instances. Oled are best enjoyed for Movies in a light controlled environment. For black scenes in a movie the pixels shut off & you only get reflections of the ambient light on the tv screen( hence best viewed in dark room), hope you are understanding what i am saying. I haven't had burn in in my lg oled till now but i agree with you nursing's the tv is abit irritating. Well each tv tech has their pros & cons.

So let me understand correctly, are OLEDs are only meant for watching movies in low light? If that's the case, i should've done my research before taking the plunge. :( (also, my room is dimly lit and even there, the brightness looks ho hum and not of a TV costing >2)

@Love4sound - i get where you're coming from. under the right conditions, the performance of the panel may be superlative. But in the real world, it's hardly so... And in this regard, LCD panels (including the MiTV) do seem to do better. And if the MiTV with a 4k panel can match up and in certain instances look better with regular content, it's kinda underwhelming that a 5x costing OLED panel does not. I don't want to tailor my viewing habits according to the capabilities of the TV. And the thing is, i play a lot of YT on my system and every single time I've upgraded any component(amplifier/speaker), its sounded better. And I'm yet to hear a lesser system that can playback YT better than mine :)
So you are saying you will watch movies available in YouTube and the 2.0 recoding will match the atmos, DTS x performance? YT good for stereo sessions. Guess you didn’t quite get my point. At first when I moved from a top Sony tv to c9 I also had similar experience. We get used to the previous tv which will be reference. Take some time and get your settings correct. Good 1080P 4k SDR and HDR contents should be awesome. If you are expecting it to play poor content exceptionally well then you got a wrong tv indeed. I don’t know what your real world usage is. But in general Oled are meant to be used for HT set ups to play good quality contents. Having it in a completely dark room is even better. I was also complaining that my Sony tv was better. Your reference is MI tv but in my case it was a top Sony 3D led tv

Do you have the G1? if so what was your last price after cash back.
Yes. Got it a couple of weeks back and was for 2.2 with cashback (which was 14K and only available on certain credit cards including HDFC, and if taken on 6 months EMI)
Well i got a LG B6 Oled since 4.5 years now & yes you re correct in few instances. Oled are best enjoyed for Movies in a light controlled environment. For black scenes in a movie the pixels shut off & you only get reflections of the ambient light on the tv screen( hence best viewed in dark room), hope you are understanding what i am saying. I haven't had burn in in my lg oled till now but i agree with you nursing's the tv is abit irritating. Well each tv tech has their pros & cons.
That's what I've been playing with. Different settings. Switching lights off. Drawing the curtains. It's a bit of a faff. Thinking of getting wifi bulbs for all my lights so that i can dim them at one go without having to manually turn them off.

So you are saying you will watch movies available in YouTube and the 2.0 recoding will match the atmos, DTS x performance?
Guess you didn't quite get my point either :) - YT from a TV directly connected to my crown xls1502 through my Boston Acoustics A26 < YT from a TV connected to my Marantz PM6006 (which has an internal DAC) through my BA A26 < YT from a TV connected to my Cambridge Audio CXA81 (which has a better internal DAC) through my BA A26 < YT from a TV connected to the Chord Mojo connected to my Cambridge Audio CXA81 through my BA A26 < with all else remaining the same, now simply change the speakers to Wharfedale Evo 4.2 < Quad S5 < adding a subwoofers to the aforementioned combos i.e. a REL T9i < dual REL T9is.

Ergo, the better gear i got, the better YT sounded.
YT good for stereo sessions. Guess you didn’t quite get my point. At first when I moved from a top Sony tv to c9 I also had similar experience. We get used to the previous tv which will be reference. Take some time and get your settings correct. Good 1080P 4k SDR and HDR contents should be awesome.
Hunting for such content is a faff. Seems OLEDs are limited by a number of use case scenarios, at least in my experience so far.
If you are expecting it to play poor content exceptionally well then you got a wrong tv indeed. I don’t know what your real world usage is. But in general Oled are meant to be used for HT set ups to play good quality contents. Having it in a completely dark room is even better. I was also complaining that my Sony tv was better. Your reference is MI tv but in my case it was a top Sony 3D led tv
I have two references currently -
a Sony W800 which was a top of the line TV in 2012 and the OLED picture performance for regular content is not much better.

Last edited:
Hunting for such content is a faff. It seems OLED has very specific use case scenario.
Well apparently it depends on what device you are using and if you are ok with watching pirated stuff. You easily get such contents and even if you watch 3 movies weekly,a year won’t be enough to finish all the available contents. FYI I am talking about blu ray contents which also included 4khdr and atmos. Netflix also most movies and shows are released in dolby vision. Most of the SDR contents are also good.

Well apparently it depends on what device you are using and if you are ok with watching pirated stuff. You easily get such contents and even if you watch 3 movies weekly,a year won’t be enough to finish all the available contents.
Do you use your TV only to watch movies?
FYI I am talking about blu ray contents which also included 4khdr and atmos. Netflix also most movies and shows are released in dolby vision. Most of the SDR contents are also good.
Didn't quite get your pirated stuff point. Could you elaborate? If you're saying that it's easier to get better content if you download from Torrent, you're probably right.

Do you use your TV only to watch movies?

Didn't quite get your pirated stuff point. Could you elaborate? If you're saying that it's easier to get better content if you download from Torrent, you're probably right.
Yeah c9 only for movies and tv shows in a dark room which is also a dedicated HT.The last time I had a cable connection was on 2016. So Oled makes perfect sense for me. Yes torrents. Some here don’t prefer torrents on moral grounds

Yes. Got it a couple of weeks back and was for 2.2 with cashback (which was 14K and only available on certain credit cards including HDFC, and if taken on 6 months EMI)

That's what I've been playing with. Different settings. Switching lights off. Drawing the curtains. It's a bit of a faff. Thinking of getting wifi bulbs for all my lights so that i can dim them at one go without having to manually turn them off.

Guess you didn't quite get my point either :) - YT from a TV directly connected to my crown xls1502 through my Boston Acoustics A26 < YT from a TV connected to my Marantz PM6006 (which has an internal DAC) through my BA A26 < YT from a TV connected to my Cambridge Audio CXA81 (which has a better internal DAC) through my BA A26 < YT from a TV connected to the Chord Mojo connected to my Cambridge Audio CXA81 through my BA A26 < with all else remaining the same, now simply change the speakers to Wharfedale Evo 4.2 < Quad S5 < adding a subwoofers to the aforementioned combos i.e. a REL T9i < dual REL T9is.

Ergo, the better gear i got, the better YT sounded.

Hunting for such content is a faff. Seems OLEDs are limited by a number of use case scenarios, at least in my experience so far.

I have two references currently -
a Sony W800 which was a top of the line TV in 2012 and the OLED picture performance for regular content is not much better.

From where did you get G1 65"?
Can you please explain how does0% EMI help?

I mean if I take 0% EMI the interest will be deducted from the TV final cost. Later when the emi starts the interest will be added and then you pay the actual TV amount in full.

I have two doubts-
1. There is an 18% Gst on the interest- won't it increase the TV price?
2. If I pre-close the EMI in say 2-3 months, what will be the charges? do I have to pay full interest which was deducted from the actual TV cost during purchase?

Is 0% EMI helpful reduce the cost of TV if you pre-close the loan? or it's better to pay the upfront amount if you have money?

What is the
The A80J is cheaper then the G1 at least by the dealers i got the offers from.

I agree Samsung should have launched the Qn95a here too like they did in Europe, guess they will learn this mistake by bad sales from the Qn90a over here.
What is the price that was quoted to you for the 65" A80J ? It will help me bargain if you share the info.

What is the

What is the price that was quoted to you for the 65" A80J ? It will help me bargain if you share the info.
i was quoted 2.65L +15k cash back from the Sony center, i am sure this can be lowered as people from other states have got lower pricing then this.

I know I'm going OT, but after reading through the thread, particularly comments from @DB1989 @Love4sound @insane79, I'm wondering if my endeavour to replace our decade-old Panasonic Plasma with an LG C1/Sony A80 is really worth the consideration. We usually watch FHD content from YT, and occasionally, movies on streaming services like Netflix and my humble collection of DVDs and BDs. Would I be better off putting my money on a QLED or LED AV panel?

Plasma, even the most recent ones can only do 1080P, at best. OLEDs can easily do 4K natively.
Yes, in a bright room, they suck. Specially with that mirror glass on them.
But put them in a dark room with good content and OLED will deliver the goodies.

Motion handling is better on plasma, I concede

Cheers,
Raghu

Back