Group Buy Sony OLEDs A80J/A90J 55"/65" (Bangalore 2021)

I know I'm going OT, but after reading through the thread, particularly comments from @DB1989 @Love4sound @insane79, I'm wondering if my endeavour to replace our decade-old Panasonic Plasma with an LG C1/Sony A80 is really worth the consideration. We usually watch FHD content from YT, and occasionally, movies on streaming services like Netflix and my humble collection of DVDs and BDs. Would I be better off putting my money on a QLED or LED AV panel?
You have a collection of blue ray discs. Then OLED would gladly give you a great PQ on these feed.

From where did you get G1 65"?
From Delhi. Jeevanjee refrigerators was the outlet i think (i couldn't be bothered about checking cuz my MiTV decided to conk off the day i got my PS5 after going through some 8 flash sales and i needed the TV delivered and installed on the very same day, which they did). They are authorised dealers of LG.
Can you please explain how does0% EMI help?
It doesn't. I wanted to make an outright purchase but the 14K cashback was available only on 6 months EMI.
I mean if I take 0% EMI the interest will be deducted from the TV final cost. Later when the emi starts the interest will be added and then you pay the actual TV amount in full.
So it's 0% EMI and the amount blocked on your card is after deducting the 14K cashback.
In my case, since the TV was for 2.34L, the amount that was blocked on my card was 2.2 after 14K cashback.
I have two doubts-
1. There is an 18% Gst on the interest- won't it increase the TV price?
No idea
2. If I pre-close the EMI in say 2-3 months, what will be the charges? do I have to pay full interest which was deducted from the actual TV cost during purchase?
No idea
Is 0% EMI helpful reduce the cost of TV if you pre-close the loan? or it's better to pay the upfront amount if you have money?
Can't because the 14K cashback is only available if you take 6 months emi, albeit at 0%

I know I'm going OT, but after reading through the thread, particularly comments from @DB1989 @Love4sound @insane79, I'm wondering if my endeavour to replace our decade-old Panasonic Plasma with an LG C1/Sony A80 is really worth the consideration. We usually watch FHD content from YT, and occasionally, movies on streaming services like Netflix and my humble collection of DVDs and BDs. Would I be better off putting my money on a QLED or LED AV panel?
My two cents are, checkout a few LCDs (FALD, QLED, nanocell, what have you) if you're not planning to view content in a pitch black room. I'm actually planning to turn my third bedroom into a gaming room and move my OLED there cuz the only major advantage that i see it have are response times. I'm planning to get a Sony LCD (X90J) or a samsung the frame or a hisense u6j for my living room cuz the OLED just doesn't cut it(except response times which are perfect for gaming), especially when i have guests and if i don't want them tripping over stuff in a pitch black room.

In fact, i remember viewing both the G1 and an LG Nanocell of the same size and thinking that dayummm, the LG Nanocell looks better :p. But of course, reviews informed me that the G1 was supposedly the Scheisse so i went for it

Last edited:
My two cents are, checkout a few LCDs (FALD, QLED, nanocell, what have you) if you're not planning to view content in a pitch black room. I'm actually planning to turn my third bedroom into a gaming room and move my OLED there cuz the only major advantage that i see it have are response times. I'm planning to get a Sony LCD (X90J) or a samsung the frame or a hisense u6j for my living room cuz the OLED just doesn't cut it(except response times which are perfect for gaming), especially when i have guests and if i don't want them tripping over stuff in a pitch black room.

In fact, i remember viewing both the G1 and an LG Nanocell of the same size and thinking that dayummm, the LG Nanocell looks better :p. But of course, reviews informed me that the G1 was supposedly the Scheisse so i went for it
Danke for the useful insights. I certainly will do my practical research before I take the plunge.

This is what I was asking / discussing in my thread below.

Thread 'Is 4K worth it in 2021' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/is-4k-worth-it-in-2021.86255/

My only limitation with the plasma is the 42" size.

As a LG CX n QN90A owner I just put forth my opinion as what I personally observed or my takeaway was with these two sets , folks n owners of these sets are free to agree or disagree with my assessment.

These sets are not bad , not by a long shot but they don't come cheap ( I spend a combined Rs 300 K on 55", CX+QN90A) n I didn't feel like my monies worth or bang for the buck as they say.

Now I might have spend only an hour with Sony A80J n X90J but it is more than enough time for me to notice that Sony does a better job of processing images.

Every 4k TV worth it's salt does well to show high bitrate native 4k content well but the real test is how they process/ upscale lower res/ bitrate content... Here Sony excels.

Prospective buyers don't get swayed by me or others, please use your own eyes n visit a showroom n do rigorous testing . I got carried away n made the mistake of buying a QN90A set without demoing it n needless to say I regret it ....

As a LG CX n QN90A owner I just put forth my opinion as what I personally observed or my takeaway was with these two sets , folks n owners of these sets are free to agree or disagree with my assessment.

These sets are not bad , not by a long shot but they don't come cheap ( I spend a combined Rs 300 K on 55", CX+QN90A) n I didn't feel like my monies worth or bang for the buck as they say.

Now I might have spend only an hour with Sony A80J n X90J but it is more than enough time for me to notice that Sony does a better job of processing images.

Every 4k TV worth it's salt does well to show high bitrate native 4k content well but the real test is how they process/ upscale lower res/ bitrate content... Here Sony excels.

Prospective buyers don't get swayed by me or others, please use your own eyes n visit a showroom n do rigorous testing . I got carried away n made the mistake of buying a QN90A set without demoing it n needless to say I regret it ....
Here I must add that atleast with CX I was given an extended demo at home by LG or atleast the LG dealer before making the payment. Fortunately the Sony dealer is allowing me to demo Sony X90J at home for a day although he is unwilling to lend me the A80J but never mind...

In my experience unless you are sure about a set or getting an excellent deal it is always better to buy from your local dealer. So much more flexibility , you like then u pay if not return.

i was quoted 2.65L +15k cash back from the Sony center, i am sure this can be lowered as people from other states have got lower pricing then this.
One FM from Delhi in a different post mentioned the Sony A80J price and G1 price offered by VS there was the same - 2.2L.
So, you are right that this could be lowered. With FMs driving hard bargains in different cities, G1 and A80J should hit 2L a fortnight from now to Diwali. Or, such is my hope :D

It's kind of nice how a group buy thread led to a lovely exchange of views on use-case and tech. :)
Thanks should be mentioned to @Jayaesh1 @DB1989 @insane79 and @Love4sound !

Trust me, this convo will really set the cat among those looking to buy this season. And it has enough material to help someone make up their minds.

To add my two bits:
1. It really made me want to experience Sony's XR, even if in a showroom, and compare how it fares against the LG flagships. I had left aside Sony from my choices because of how expensive they are. But, it looks like this year, they are ready to match LG prices. So, definitely going to take a look at them, thanks mostly to @Jayaesh1 bhai :D
2. Second, since you all discussed content in such detail, wanted to know from you guys who have good audio set-ups - do Netflix, Prime, Hotstar, etc really deliver good audio for their content? I ask this cos, in my tiny desktop set-up I really struggle with their lack of compression, and end up pirating some content, which then seems to play so much better in my comp.
Regards

PS: Let's please continue this conversation on use-case and tech, if other FMs don't mind jumping in! It is so informative, and it is also the kind of topic that should be spoken about more often, IMO -- what we use vis-a-vis what we use it for.

You can go for LG Oled entry level model A1

Samsung top Qled also expensive. So if you are ok with midrange TV’s and don’t require the best HDR performance a 55 inch Sony,lg or Samsung tv that costs around 70-80k is good enough. One thing you can do is demo few tv’s and decide. Showroom settings will be poor and will be mostly in vivid mode. So just make sure you demo it in the right picture presets.

Last edited:
This is what I was asking / discussing in my thread below.

Thread 'Is 4K worth it in 2021' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/is-4k-worth-it-in-2021.86255/

My only limitation with the plasma is the 42" size.
I would rather make a thread "is 8k worth it in 2021"

In all seriousness just got for 4k now as in few years it will be 8k as standard.
In Japan it's slowing becoming the standard & even the Tokyo games was broadcasted in 8k, still few years away for us but u never know.

Cheers.

Samsung top Qled also expensive. So if you are ok with midrange TV’s and don’t require the best HDR performance a 55 inch Sony,lg or Samsung tv that costs around 70-80k is good enough. One thing you can do is demo few tv’s and decide. Showroom settings will be poor and will be mostly in vivid mode. So just make sure you demo it in the right picture presets.
I think the Samsung's Qleds are the best lcd/leds to buy really, baring their shit customer service i read about.

I think the Samsung's Qleds are the best lcd/leds to buy really, baring their shit customer service i read about.
Yeah true. Even Sony led tvs are equally good in a well lit room. For people who are not picky anything from the big three will do to be honest. I have watched few movies in my bro q60r when I visit him and for cable and good contents the picture quality was more then enough to enjoy.

I have watched few movies in my bro q60r when I visit him and for cable and good contents the picture quality was more then enough to enjoy.
Is he still using the same Qled that was giving him issues? so he must be use to the DSE the unit gives by now..

Is he still using the same Qled that was giving him issues? so he must be use to the DSE the unit gives by now..
They didn’t fix the yellow bleeding issue and also the Hdmi board issue. He said I am done with this hobby and will be just using the tv like non-enthusiasts who don’t care about perfection. They replaced the board twice and at last they replaced it with the first board without resetting his profile. Funny part was downstairs also has the same tv and when he asked why the same tv below does not have the yellow bleeding at bottom they responded even though same tv your display specifications is that it should have yellow bleeding lol

Last edited:
They didn’t fix the yellow bleeding issue and also the Hdmi board issue. He said I am done with this hobby and will be just using the tv like non-enthusiasts who don’t care about perfection. They replaced the board twice and at last they replayed it with the first board without resetting his profile. Funny part was downstairs also has the same tv and when he asked why the same tv below does not have the yellow bleeding at bottom they responded even though same tv your display specifications is that it should have yellow bleeding lol
from what i saw in the pics, it looks like light bleeding from edge lit lcds. This is one of the reason's i will buy an Oled again as there is too much drama with buying lcd/led panels.

Last edited:
from what i saw in the pics, it looks like light bleeding from edge lit lcds. This is one of the reason's i will buy an Oled again as there is too much drama with buy lcd/led panels.
Yeah in picture it’s faint but in person the yellow line in the bottom is very clear. But overall his screen is fine from DSE as I have watched all type of contents including sports. And also the yellow bleeding is visible only in light colours like white etc at the bottom of the screen and since most movies have black bars it can be ignored. Now major issue is arc for which they have denied issue with their tv and blaming the AVR which is not the case. Used it at my place for 3 days and not a single handshake issue was observed with my c9. Since replacing the Hdmi board also didn’t fix the issue I suspect it’s a manufacturing defect with all their q60r which they don’t want to acknowledge. Typical Samsung.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back