Has anyone painted a Speaker enclosure

Flash

Well I was planning on painting my speaker enclosure black from the present Walnut color
They are vintage Pioneer CS 303 Bookshelf Speakers

Any tips and what and how I should go about this ?

Ideally get a car painter to spray paint it.

Never ever Spray Paint a speaker...

2yrs back, we were not aware and spray painted it...
And within 2 dayz of install @ customer site... the speakers blew up and
due to backfire, the amp as well went for a toss...

Post that horrible experience we always paint speakers, whenever and wherever required through brush paint.. and after that till date we haven't faced any issues...

Though a cheaper option for Wooden Blocks (On Bookshelf speakers) is to use a cheap Rs.30per mtr Wall Paper... that will give your speaker a better look, and will save you from the headache of painting and not to mention is cost effective...

Post that horrible experience we always paint speakers, whenever and wherever required through brush paint.. and after that till date we haven't faced any issues...

That's a shocking revelation.
But I am eager to know how spray painting (specifically) can cause such a mishap whereas brush painting comes out safe? What is the logic behind this?

Though a cheaper option for Wooden Blocks (On Bookshelf speakers) is to use a cheap Rs.30per mtr Wall Paper... that will give your speaker a better look, and will save you from the headache of painting and not to mention is cost effective...

Funny!
Difficult to believe that spray painting could blow up the speaker. There has to be some other reason for it.

I had never thought about Wallpaper . hmmmmmm

More info please. Don't see why this should happend because of painting.

Good to know you have done this already. I was planning to use wall paper on a pair of Dali Ikon 1's (Light Oak color) that I bought recently - to match the otherwise teakwood decor in my bedroom. WAF is afterall such an important thing:eek:hyeah:. Will listen to it enough before I do anything.

Last edited:

Any specific brand recommendation for wallpapers that can be used on speaker boxes?

Well I was planning on painting my speaker enclosure black from the present Walnut color

Recently I did a speaker cabinet. I got it spray painted by a Stell Almirah maker. I did thorough polishing after & before applying primer. I think if you do it with Black color,it would look nice.
The finish depends on the amount of polishing you do before painting... the more you do the better it is.

100_7082.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

For PianoFinish
http://www.lungster.com/l/speakers/pianofinish.shtml

Last edited:
The reason behind damage using spray paint was that during the spray paint, the paint somehow reached the driver part, though we covered the face, which somewhat jammed the drivers movement.

So once we installed and played the same, the driver tried it hard to punch the sound, but as the paint dried up, the complete burden came on the coil and it burnt...

--------------------------

Then we tried with Brush Paint, and there were no issues.

The other easy way we found was using the basic textured / velvet / wooden finish wallpapers.. They are cheap and saves a lot of headache...

-------------------------

If this sounds funny, then please try it, and experience the damage...

Aren't you supposed to take the drivers out before painting? I have seen lots of pics of speaker painting with drivers out.
If the need is for smooth and glossy finish, then only way to get it is spray painting. Roller/Brush paint will not give that. If using masking the drivers, its better to use good quality masking tape + heavy plastic to cover all of it. Usually, painting needs couple of light coats, so better do proper masking. Also, make sure all the edges of speaker are sealed off before spraying.

Looking at the stand mounted monitors that TJ Antony demo'ed yesterday at the Bangalore Hif meet, all I can say is the paint job was "outstanding"! The stands were also pianted and looked equally good.

If one was to remove the drivers and tweeters, paint the cab and re-install them, what are the chances that the re-install will not be correct? Is the driver installation just a simple screw-it-all-in or is there more to it?

I assume the drivers need to be removed even for wallpapering.

The paint job on t.Antony's MTM and speaker stands are great. I guess he can guide you better.

Sonicbliss

Painting with the drivers still fixed in the box is a risky affair, I guess this approach can be used only if the speakers are glued to the baffle or there is a sealant used as a gasket between the driver and enclosure surface.

The painting process of my MTM's and stands is explained in this post.

If one was to remove the drivers and tweeters, paint the cab and re-install them, what are the
chances that the re-install will not be correct? Is the driver installation just a simple screw-it-all-in or is there more to it?

I assume the drivers need to be removed even for wallpapering.

I'd suggest removing the drivers for any work on the cabinet, esp
if you get some workman to do the job (and not DIY it), lest there
is any accidental damage to the cone or surround.

The reinstall should be fine, if you follow the usual precautions.
After removing the screws, take a picture of all connections, or note the wire colours - the drivers
terminals will have +/- marks. Also, label each wire with some adhesive tape so you will not reconnect wrongly.
Also, once the drivers are removed, use plastic sheet and paper to cover the insides and the hole, so
the paint and dust will not get in.

Usually, the drivers will be just fixed with screws, but as Anthony said,
there will be a sealant or gasket. You can either get speaker gasket
tape, or cut one yourself out of a sheet of closed cell foam (from local
upholstery shops or even the packing material from a LCD TV or monitor)
and use rubber adhesive.

Only possibility of damage is if your cabinet is made
with MDF, which does not take kindly to removing and refitting
the screws - the threads may get stripped.
If you run into that, you may have to glue a matchstick
into the stripped hole with fevicol and let it dry, before fitting the
driver back.

Last edited:
Here Goes some Pictures of the Speakers they are Pioneer CS 303 bookshelves.
I have put up one pic with it next to my Wharfdale 9.6

I think I am going to go in for the Wallpaper way, it seems to be the easiest way out. Considering that I like the matt black front look. will probably go in for the same look for the sides and Back.
ok who am i kidding...... i'm a lazy fart ...... 2 cheers for wallpaper :yahoo:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here goes another one

one more

Sorry to dig up an old thread but did you go ahead with the wallpaper idea? I'm debating between paint and wallpaper. If wallpaper can give good results without the headache of painting, I'll be willing to explore that option.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back