Has anyone painted a Speaker enclosure

Sorry to dig up an old thread but did you go ahead with the wallpaper idea? I'm debating between paint and wallpaper. If wallpaper can give good results without the headache of painting, I'll be willing to explore that option.

I kinda left left it as it.:D I had too many other builds going on I completely forgot about this
However. I feel the best/easiest option is Veneer 0.8mm

Can you elaborate on how the veneer is applied? Will the existing paint have to be removed first?

My speakers have beveled edges. How will the veneer handle that?

Thanks!

Can you elaborate on how the veneer is applied? Will the existing paint have to be removed first?

My speakers have beveled edges. How will the veneer handle that?

Thanks!

can you put up some pics here of your Speakers. to see the existing finish / Cabinet contours etc ?

http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/17484-syren.html

Hope the contours are visible where the edges meet.

Yes got it.

Option 1.
Wood Veneer. as thin as possible., you will be able to work around the contours a little tricky though.

Option 2.
If you have the time and would like to make the effort. Go in for a paint job. However you will have to remove the drivers etc because going in for the paint job. However it is well worth the effort.

Option 3.

The easiest option for your application Vinyl. you will be able to get it in any colour you want. wood grain etc etc.
Easy to work around the contours since it is flexible and can be sourced from almost anywhere.
Slap a coat of clear gloss over it if you want a gloss look or leave it as it is.

Take a long sheet and starting working from back to front as a single sheet and the box will look like a seemless finish with no edges where the vinyl meet etc.

Thanks a ton for the useful info. Any idea where I can source vinyl? The only vinyl I've heard of spins on a table. :lol: Is it similar to wallpaper in terms of application? Sorry for all the noob questions.

EDIT: Is it the same as vinyl flooring that Google throws up when I search for "vinyl sheets"?

I'm leaning towards painting. Removal of the drivers is supposedly pretty straightforward. Trouble is in finding the right place to get the painting done. I have read good things about Sai Colorium but not sure if they will be willing to paint a speaker cabinet. Have already sent them a query.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for the useful info. Any idea where I can source vinyl? The only vinyl I've heard of spins on a table. :lol: Is it similar to wallpaper in terms of application? Sorry for all the noob questions.

EDIT: Is it the same as vinyl flooring that Google throws up when I search for "vinyl sheets"?

I'm leaning towards painting. Removal of the drivers is supposedly pretty straightforward. Trouble is in finding the right place to get the painting done. I have read good things about Sai Colorium but not sure if they will be willing to paint a speaker cabinet. Have already sent them a query.

Haa ha ha ... I guessed as much you would say that. using vinyl records would be a very costly proposition but would be one of a kind artistic impression.:licklips:

yes the same Vinyl flooring. if u do a google image search. you will see the sort of textures available.
Since it is flexible. it can be easily worked around contoured edges.

Painting would be a lot better if you are looking for a flat black or Piano finish.

Actually any car paint guy would be able to do with for you. so take out the drivers / crossover / stuffing/ binding posts etc.
Put it in your car and take it to a car paint booth. explain what you want and they would do it for it.
Thankfully in India like everywhere else in the world Money talks. So they will take it on.
Look at gigo's Center build thread in the DIY section . he got a matt black paint job done on his cab. It looks pretty good.

Bluu,

There is a CAR graphics/stickers shop, bang opposite to cosmos mall. You can check with him.

Gijo's speaker finish looks great! I'd love to have something similar in a slightly darker shade.

Let me check at the car painting places.

Kittu - Thanks for the tip. There is also a car detailing place on Varthur Road. I'm going to browse TBHP as well.

Thanks for the help Flash!

Home town is having a good collection of spray paint cans (imported) w/ texture/crackle/gloss finish.

I was JUST searching for those on Google! Thanks so much for the tip. I was reading a wikihow article on spray painting and they strongly suggest that it be done outdoors. That is the only worry I have.

Do you by chance know the cost (approx will do) per can?

I was JUST searching for those on Google! Thanks so much for the tip. I was reading a wikihow article on spray painting and they strongly suggest that it be done outdoors. That is the only worry I have.

I saw some for about 200 bucks per can with tools and trade on commercial street. these were also imported. I am not sure if indian companies are making these or not.

You can do it outdoors, but there is an issue, if there is wind (even a little bit), your spray is going to go haywire as you are supposed to spray from some distance (6-8 inches IIRC), a bit of wind and it wont reach the wood, but just fly away. you will come closer to spray properly and then you will see running paint as too much will come to a small spot on wood. So either it should not be windy or you need wind protection. Oh yeah, I am talking from personal experience.:)

Also make sure there are no imperfections in the wood or putty layer. In my build, it was smooth as glass, but there were some visible imperfections. After painting, its still smooth, but the visible imperfections still stay. messed up the looks of the speakers. Will need to repaint it some day. Paint does not cover imperfections of any kind, irrespective of how many coats you give.

I believe normal colors costs ~200 and special effects costs 400-500

None of the painting work should be done outdoors coz' of the dust particles that can settle after the painting before it dries. It should be done in a closed and cleaned room w/ mask to prevent suffocation. For further precaution, fill the room with 1/2" - 1" of water (provided the flooring is proper).

Use hooks to hang the material before painting.

Main issue is the finish of the base. If it is an MDF, use water sealant before applying putty sealant and apply putty (use metal putty used for automotive painting), dont apply much. Use some reliable leveling material to check the evenness of the surface. Do wet sanding for leveling.

Use 4-5 layers of PU coat with buffing to get a sparkling shine.

One cheapest version : Use 2 coats of normal spray paint (should be done properly) on top of the prepared surface. Apply 4 or 5 layers ( 3 minimum) of clear coat polish and do a final m/c buff, you will get a clear glass finish.
For more sparkle, use the metallic powder (not freely available everywhere) along with the polish, it will sparkle like jewellery (metallic paint finish will look dull compared to this) :)

Last edited:
THIS may help you. I bought from car bike section 120ml can for 145Rs but minimum order is Rs 300.

Yes IT MUST BE DONE OUTDOORS, NOT INSIDE HOUSE UNLESS WELL VENTILATED OTHERWISE RISK OF SUFFOCATION AND OTHER THINGS IN VICINITY GET TINT OF COLOR SPRAYED.

Last edited:
THIS may help you. I bought from car bike section 120ml can for 145Rs but minimum order is Rs 300.

Yes IT MUST BE DONE OUTDOORS, NOT INSIDE HOUSE UNLESS WELL VENTILATED OTHERWISE RISK OF SUFFOCATION AND OTHER THINGS IN VICINITY GET TINT OF COLOR SPRAYED.

Its 120gm not ml, more cans may be required.

Try eBay.co.in, 120+shipping for 300ml.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back