Has Anyone tried SPOTIFY here

sam9s

Hi Friends,

With the intro of services like UnblockUS or Unlocator, where in you can access services like Netflix in India, did any one try Spotify ...???, with the same

Even if you are not using DNS services, HOLA extension for chrome, I think allows you to access Spotify.

I am surprised that no one mentioned. I tried it today, just like that, and I was blown out of the quality of the streaming, and the services as well. Specially the quality and clarity of the songs streamed, not just western, loads of Indian music was also available, some pretty rare as well, like I searched songs of a movie called "Aap ke deewane"(1980) and I was surprises by the quality of the streaming, the 256kbps MP3 I have of the same movie was not even close to what spotify was offering/streaming

I then tried loads of other stations and playlists and had a gala of a an hour, I spent with Spotify on PC

Then my interest turned to my phone, to download, spotify, well it isnt available on Google store in India. Anyway I found a workaround. Will share if anyone is interested.

But still I would request people who already have been using unlocator or unblockus to try spotify, on their high end gear ..... And see the quality. I am sure most of you will be impressed.

BTW, spotify also has a windows app, that also worked amazingly.

Just thought to share it with my fellow members here.

2a6l73q.jpg

Yep, have tried Spotify. Definitely a very good service - my heart leans towards Pandora however because I find that its music suggestion service seems to understand my tastes better!

^^ mmm ok off to pandora now to try it as well, If spotify is working, Pandora will as well. Will update my experience.

^^ mmm ok off to pandora now to try it as well, If spotify is working, Pandora will as well. Will update my experience.
Pandora is a great way to find new music in my experience, however, in terms of number of albums/artists etc., Spotify is ahead (sadly, I'd really like Pandora to succeed)

@Sam

I tried out and heard the Spotify player with the chrome plugin to unlock the country code. Its just simple and nice streaming player too good to ignore and great playlists capability. I am hearing Ilayaraja/AR Rahman songs and the bit rates are good. Right now I am hearing it on my HTPC with the Yamaha receiver + Zaph speakers as my music-pc is resting with the ODAC away to be assembled with the B1 in a separate cabinet. Will give a detailed observation in another couple of weeks time when I get hear this on my dedicated music-pc + ODAC and Marantz amplifier.

Thanks for pointing out about this streamer and I am enjoying it :clapping:

I really enjoyed Spotify when I tried it once. It isn't available on Google Play Store since the service isn't officially launched in India, yet. Back when I tried it, the app was available to download from their website, but it seems they have removed the link.

To continue with the app on the smart phone, you had to purchase a subscription. This is where it got frustrating as they didn't accept payments from anywhere else other than those countries were the service was launched. Even using a proxy didn't help as an Indian CC, PayPal, etc would not work.

However I am pleasantly surprised to see that the service is now made free on Android smart phones and doesn't need subscription anymore. Except that it will be in some shuffle mode, where you don't have complete control on the playlist.

Last edited:
Why do you want to purchase, with HOLA chrome extension it works perfectly and the free subscription is good enough, you just need to bear some ads after ever 3,4 songs thats it.

However I prefer to listen from windows app, with Unlocator/UnblockUS working in the background (since I already use it to have Netflix)

But still I would request people who already have been using unlocator or unblockus to try spotify, on their high end gear ..... And see the quality. I am sure most of you will be impressed.

Ok I got mixed up with the idea of using a vpn and my local network. So using this remote proxy service will still make my headless pc accessible on my local wireless to my Android remote? I have never tried these services, but if its gong to work I am going stream spottily from MPD this weekend. :eek:hyeah:

MPD plays MP3s from 128kbps and up to awesome effect! It must be doing something really special with dithering or whatever to make them sound so good.

So I need to login to this VPN thingie and open a premium account? Will they accept Indian credit cards?

~G0bble

Just tried Spotify after downloading the Hola extension. The music quality is so so. I think the premium service is better but as dips0502 said paying for it seems tough.

Why do you want to purchase, with HOLA chrome extension it works perfectly and the free subscription is good enough, you just need to bear some ads after ever 3,4 songs thats it.

Previously, to continue with the app on the smart phone you had to purchase a subscription. Like I said, I am glad that it isn't the case anymore.

Just tried Spotify after downloading the Hola extension. The music quality is so so. I think the premium service is better but as dips0502 said paying for it seems tough.

What!! you must have listened on a seriously crappy damaged speaker ....lol ...kidding,:D:D:D:D I thought spotify has the BEST streaming quality so far of all the audio streaming services I have given a try (including PAndora)

Ok I got mixed up with the idea of using a vpn and my local network. So using this remote proxy service will still make my headless pc accessible on my local wireless to my Android remote? I have never tried these services, but if its gong to work I am going stream spottily from MPD this weekend. :eek:hyeah:

MPD plays MP3s from 128kbps and up to awesome effect! It must be doing something really special with dithering or whatever to make them sound so good.

So I need to login to this VPN thingie and open a premium account? Will they accept Indian credit cards?

~G0bble

No VPN needed DNS services like Unblock US or UNlocater workes perfectly, how ever they are paid, so HOLA, chrome extension is the best solution. ALso no need to get a premium account free ones works good, only an ad after every 3,4 songs.

The only advantage with Unlocator or Unblock US is taht I can use Spotify Windows App, and ignore browser all together. Add to that there is an Android Remote to controll the spotify app on windows so I can do what ever I need to do on my phone itself to control spotify on PC.

Unless I am using my Android itself to listen to music via Spotify.

Uh oh .. its DRM encoded music so only the ampp can decode it, I can't stream it from a headless linux box.

Will last.fm work using the dns locator service?

Edit: No wait! I see a lot of raspy spotify hacks with arch linux ... If they accept paypal I'll give it a shot after I sample their free service. If I can get it to work, 320kbps will sound great!

Heres an option but it does not use MPD :( : http://www.mopidy.com

~G0bble

Last edited:
I guess they don't have a Linux app for Spotify. Last.fm is one of those features you would need a subscription for.

UPDATE friends ...

I am actually seriously falling in love with spotify ....... so may features, plugins and apps. Usually I am using spotify on my laptop connected to either my bluetooth logitech boombox , for some music on the go while relaxing in the front lawn, or while I am bathing ... :D...or to my Polks via E10 USB DAC

I needed something to remote the same on my laptop, while I am not near my laptop ......Spotimote, for Android came in to rescue. its an official Spotify remote for Android and very very nicely created. So now its pretty easy for me to control my Spotify running on my laptop from my phone.

Then there is this small Equalizer plugin for spotify that I installed that gives me 10 bands nicely and very accurately embedded inside the app itself.

Finally installed an app called tunewiki, that searches for lyrics on the go and starts to display and auto scroll in sync with the song(and it really works!!).

Check out a snap with all the features.

rl97ux.jpg

23wwq5h.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Sam for the insights :clapping:

Even I have fallen in love and installed in my music-pc and loading this along with the Foobar. But the problem I am facing is that the ODAC which I am using will be dedicated to only one player at a time. So to play on Spotify I need to first close the Foobar as well as Spotify and then reopen the Spotify to regain control of the DAC. I have read on the net as well that it might be a limitation. Otherwise its superb and I enjoying my oldies, favorites as well as clicking and organizing playlists of listeners as well as following there collections. The streaming quality is very good and I am thinking its on par with 320kbps bit rate. I have to try to the Android app to control the same. ;)

I am enjoying Spotify on my Macbook and IPhone for the last two years.. no plugin like Hola or anything reqd.
I got its application from my from my friend in US & I used his Apple ID to install on my iPhone and it works like charm.Playing on my DENON AVR thru airplay.No doubt it is the best streaming service among all arround..
Even on my windows laptop also it works without any plugin because this appliaction was downloaded in US only & installed here..:)

Sam and others, a note of caution. Unlocator seriously screws up some services. For example when I ran Unlocator, Google Play refused to work on my laptop. It came back the minute I removed UnLocator. I am not sure what other services it screws.

Cheers

mmmmm yes google play does not open, but I never not used google play much on laptop so missed this goof up now that you mentioned I tried and yes it did not work. I havent noticed any other service not working (atleast popular ones)

people please do report if you face any other issues with unlocator ..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back