HD Networked Media Tank (NMT)

have not yet gotten hdd. external internal? what brand? suggestions? no idea abt it yet! help!

Do you have a PC? If so then just get an 8 GB USB pen drive at around Rs. 1200 or so and use it. You can transfer movies from the PC to the USB whenever you want to watch a movie. I'm doing the same. If you don't have a PC and/or need to store movies/content on an external HDD then Western Digital and Seagate both are good. I have been using both for years with no issues and Seagate even comes with 5 years warranty and their customer service/support is great.

Do you have a PC? If so then just get an 8 GB USB pen drive at around Rs. 1200 or so and use it. You can transfer movies from the PC to the USB whenever you want to watch a movie. I'm doing the same. If you don't have a PC and/or need to store movies/content on an external HDD then Western Digital and Seagate both are good. I have been using both for years with no issues and Seagate even comes with 5 years warranty and their customer service/support is great.

8GB flashdrive for 800 only.

Quite a few 1080p MKV movies are above 8GB. So minimum 16 GB (approx rs. 1600) is recommended. Go for 32-64GB if you need to accommodate the raw BD rips. But these options are not VFM.

As of date 1TB external WD HDD @5.5k is fabulous.

Dear spirovius, reju and moser,

thanks a lot for the helpful posts, take abt av brotherhood :) just asked a friend who made a trip to ritchie street to get me a WD Caviar Green 3.5" Model: WD10EACS Size: 1TB. 5200 rs cool huh :) made a decision to go for internal hdd because some features like bit torrent p2p function only with internal hard drive
"It also serves as a NAS and a BitTorrent peer-to-peer downloader*** to eliminate the need to switch on a PC or other device for this purpose"

popcorn hour website , the three stars meaning internal hdd.

and a thumb drive / pendrive i already have, but will not work for me. The basic purpose of popcorn hour is to replace htpc, i hate pc's... the very process of powering them up browsing, copying, and pasting ...whew...im a lazy doc ...wont do. :):) also my popcorn will be exclusively dealing in 720p and 1080p HD movies big files they are...i want it to be a sort of a movie / music library. Plan to directly download to pch using p2p and play. NO PC please :) thanks a lot all you guys. just explaining my point of view

Like already explained make sure its properly ventilated. Needs good airflow. HDDs get hot but would have a fan inside the PC. You get special HDD fans that can be screwed on top of the HDD. If space permits and connectivity options are there in the Popcorn Hour it might be a good idea to get it. They work great inside PCs and keep the HDDs at 35-38 degrees.

HDD-Fan.jpg

Dear spirovius, reju and moser,

thanks a lot for the helpful posts, take abt av brotherhood :) just asked a friend who made a trip to ritchie street to get me a WD Caviar Green 3.5" Model: WD10EACS Size: 1TB. 5200 rs cool huh :) made a decision to go for internal hdd because some features like bit torrent p2p function only with internal hard drive
"It also serves as a NAS and a BitTorrent peer-to-peer downloader*** to eliminate the need to switch on a PC or other device for this purpose"

popcorn hour website , the three stars meaning internal hdd.

and a thumb drive / pendrive i already have, but will not work for me. The basic purpose of popcorn hour is to replace htpc, i hate pc's... the very process of powering them up browsing, copying, and pasting ...whew...im a lazy doc ...wont do. :):) also my popcorn will be exclusively dealing in 720p and 1080p HD movies big files they are...i want it to be a sort of a movie / music library. Plan to directly download to pch using p2p and play. NO PC please :) thanks a lot all you guys. just explaining my point of view

Like already explained make sure its properly ventilated. Needs good airflow. HDDs get hot but would have a fan inside the PC. You get special HDD fans that can be screwed on top of the HDD. If space permits and connectivity options are there in the Popcorn Hour it might be a good idea to get it. They work great inside PCs and keep the HDDs at 35-38 degrees.

This is good option, but unfortunately no space. What I have done in my Elektron is 2.5" HDD + Magic Idea notebook cooler, (powered externally via USB hub) inside the casing..

magic.jpg

It blows the hot air out through the ventilation on the right side on NMT.:)

Let me know if you are able to source this fan. For my Elektron due to space constraints and no free power connectors available, I have used the Magic Idea Notebook Cooler as shown below.

2d8p1ty.jpg

2l9ozz5.jpg

biuxhx.jpg

brilliant pics reju. I was curious to see the inside of the elektron, quite similar to the popcorn.:) same chipset, but PCB is different i think.

ok, a few words about my new popcorn hour A110 + THE wn 100...have been extensivey tinkering around with it and at the end of the day reaised, though the main product page and specifications at their website list a whole lot of abcdxyzee, a few lines are missing... here goes...

1) the heat as an issue (in the popcorn 100) has been effectivey addressed, the chipset in 110 has a brand new heatsink with the lid having some sort of a squarish material stuck to its underside where it covers the heatsink of the chipset / processor. I tried sticking my hand on the heatsink within seconds of stopping extended operation (2hrs) and was surprised to find, that , though the unit gets quite bearaby warm during operation , the heat dissipated away instantaneousy on stopping the unit.

2)pop corn hour links to your internet either via ethernet wire or via the wifi usb dongle wn 100....a few other supported dongles are also available (some even in india), wn 100 being from the same company that produces popcorn hour.

3)you can access the internal hard drive of your PCH A 110 from your computer put or pull fies from it.

4)just using the remote of PCH A 110 (which is connected via wifi or ethernet to isp), u can access ur comp (which for illustration purposes is in another room and is connected via wifi to the same router) and play videos,music, etc

5) HD videos dont stream that well (some senior members must be thinking u dumbo u must already be knowing that) well, i didnt, and in the intention of heping others ike me :p im posting this.

6)All other medial files streamed from comp to PCH a 110 excellenty well and played without a hitch. The speed of transfer being marginally better with the PCH connected via ethernetcable to router rather than wifi dongle connected. ( i didnt try the vice versa ....ie...comp cabe connected to modem/router with the PCH connectedvia wifi dongle) the net connection in question being BSNL 512 kbps unimited conn with their standard modem / router with four ethernet ports and wifi routing capabiity. future i plan to cable both PCH and comp to modem / ISP and try playing HD content.

7)PCH connects to the net on its own and updates firmware, self installs applications (after u ask it to do so ),plays youtube and other such media site content, podcasts, internet radio, p2p tv list is endess.....but one thing that i thought of while installing internal hard drive is ..." on PCH itself (without needing comp)i will be able to browse and add torrents for downoad" ....it is not so . The clients supported by PCH are primitive and need you to open your comp and add torrents (on firefox, ie not supported), which are then taken care of (downloaded) by the PCH using its internal HDD.

8) question : if u need your comp to browse and add torrents, why not u use an external HDD itself attached to comp usb to do the job? then u can ferry the hdd to the PCH for play. This would also save PCH the heat and the operation time (standard 1080p MOVIE RIP takes 2 to 4 days even on a 512 kbps bsnl connection)

Other than these minor issues ( issues at least to me, who was looking at PCH replacing my laptop completey) PCH is a nice gentle beast, handling with ease hell a lot of formats, athough a certan lag time is apparent after u chose the play option and the actual play starts.

anyother men sailing the same boat ? additional info, critiques aways wecome ;):cool:

Pop corn hour is now officially available in India through KEI (thats us) anybody needing any advise or help on Popcorn hour, Denon, Audioquest, Dune or Normus, please feel free to contact us.

Pop corn hour is now officially available in India through KEI (thats us) anybody needing any advise or help on Popcorn hour, Denon, Audioquest, Dune or Normus, please feel free to contact us.

Can you post Mumbai adress?

Contact details, website link, etc.?

Mumabai Address: KEI (Kripa Electronics India Pvt Ltd.)- A-101 Kailash Complex. Hiranandani Vikhroli link road. Vikhroli West.

You can contact Marc from KEI at 9930467532

Contact details, website link, etc.?

I think this is branch of KIL India & official dealor of Denon,Hitachi & have many Branches in India.If you check avMax,you can get the Branch near you
Hyderabad-64561912, 9989111500

Mumabai Address: KEI (Kripa Electronics India Pvt Ltd.)- A-101 Kailash Complex. Hiranandani Vikhroli link road. Vikhroli West.

You can contact Marc from KEI at 9930467532

Thanks,just checked in mag.Last time when I was in Hiranandani,I cld not get location.Where is it?next to Pizza HUt or Hospital?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back