HD Networked Media Tank (NMT)

pl pass on the details of price and from where in chennai u bought this unit with contact details ... Also pl share ur review on this product for HD contains and confirm the optical audio out for the unit.
Thanks in advance

Which product are you referring to?

Today I calleup one dealer in Cochin. He was quoting 22.5K for model 6500 and 24K for 7000 and offered a discount of 15%. It doesnt come with a harddisk, so the HDD will cost extra.

I am impressed with the reviews of Electron EHP-606. Anybody knows how to procure it in bangalore..?

hi!!

I have been contemplating about multimedia players/HTPC since sometime now. More or less I had shorlisted Tvix. I had taken a demo of the same was impressed with its SQ,PQ and built.

Although, today in one of the posts I read someone compared it to PS3. Hence, i searched a bit for the same.

You can store videos,pictures and music on the in built HDD. The size of HDD can be expanded. However, it does not say clearly to how much/.I read in a forum that a it was tested at 1TB and it worked out fine. Still, I need to check the same. Also, if it doesn't then there is always and option of using an external HDD connected directly to PS3. You can also access your PC from the PS3.

Basically, the PS3 can Almost do everything a network media player can do. Plus, it is one of the best gaming devices!!!

I am more than eager to know about others thoughts on this. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am all ears.

Sumit.

Which product are you referring to?
What I mean to ask you is that western digital hd media player which u have bought recently in chennai. PL pass on all the contact details of the supplier and ur own view on the product on specifically hd content.

What I mean to ask you is that western digital hd media player which u have bought recently in chennai. PL pass on all the contact details of the supplier and ur own view on the product on specifically hd content.

I bought it in US for $99 and its not available in India. So far its been a blessing. It plays everything I throw. the .mkv files are awesome with my PV8 and WD combination. Let me know if you want to know anything in specific.

Hello Ram,

I hope you are doing good! Could you please check where can I get PCH in US? Their website doesnt list an online store or anything for US!!

If its going to be cheaper and easier to get from SG, then I shall ask my friends to get it from there.

I'm planning to visit TX in Feb and I thought I can pick this one up.
OT: by the way! if you are still in US then you are going to miss RM09 this time :) I have got my registration done, in a day it should be decided whether I'm going or not.
Ketan

Hello Ram,

I hope you are doing good! Could you please check where can I get PCH in US? Their website doesnt list an online store or anything for US!!

If its going to be cheaper and easier to get from SG, then I shall ask my friends to get it from there.

I'm planning to visit TX in Feb and I thought I can pick this one up.
OT: by the way! if you are still in US then you are going to miss RM09 this time :) I have got my registration done, in a day it should be decided whether I'm going or not.
Ketan

I am doing Ketan Ji. You can purchase Popcorn from their website directly, they dont have any retail sellers. You might want to order early as they have back orders. Thats the reason I bought WDTV (though I am extremely happy with it cant beat it for 99$ value). The online store is:
Welcome To Popcorn Hour

Also, check out the where to buy page:
Welcome To Popcorn Hour

Also, eummagic bought his popcorn ordered from India. It was shipped via DHL and he paid 3k for custom duty.

Me and eummagic are planning to do a WD TV vs Popcorn shootout this weekend, so that would another interesting one for you.

offtopic: RM i aint coming as I am down with Kidney Stones treatment

Last edited:
I am keen to know if the WD Player can play from external DVD ROM connected through USB port?

This is possible with PCH and Elektron.

OK. But have you tried it?

I haven't but when I spoke to the customer support they clearly said it wont. I just bought a 1TB Maxtor External Harddrive for 5700 rs and now all my DVDs will be ripped to that and I would be using that.

Yesterday when i tried it played every possible expect for CHarlie WIlson as it was encoded in Neo AAC which my Philips HTiB wasnt able to encode. Apart from that it played everycrap I have thrown at it :)

I haven't but when I spoke to the customer support they clearly said it wont. I just bought a 1TB Maxtor External Harddrive for 5700 rs and now all my DVDs will be ripped to that and I would be using that.

That's a lot of hard work, ripping, if you have a big collection! But that's the only way you can play original (css encrypted) DVDs. Original DVDs thru external DVD ROM doesn't work as the sigma 8635 chipset does not decode them due to copyright issues.

BTW what chipset does WD have? Are you getting proper DTS/ DD surround output through optical, decoded through AVR?

I have a huge collection of MKV HD movies all burned on DVDs. So for me playback from external DVD ROM is very vital.

That's a lot of hard work, ripping, if you have a big collection! But that's the only way you can play original (css encrypted) DVDs. Original DVDs thru external DVD ROM doesn't work as the sigma 8635 chipset does not decode them due to copyright issues.

BTW what chipset does WD have? Are you getting proper DTS/ DD surround output through optical, decoded through AVR?

I have a huge collection of MKV HD movies all burned on DVDs. So for me playback from external DVD ROM is very vital.

I think WD shares the same chipset as Popcorn, though I aint sure I think I read it somewhere in one of the forums.

Yes, I get proper DTS/DD output through my Philips HTiB. WD pases the signal through the optical out and my Philips HTiB does the decoding. Today WD wont decode, you need an receiver which is can decode DTS/DD. WD said it is working on it and will release a firmware version.

Update: WD TV support replied back, WD TV uses Sigma 8634

Last edited:

Yesterday when i tried it played every possible expect for CHarlie WIlson as it was encoded in Neo AAC which my Philips HTiB wasnt able to encode. Apart from that it played everycrap I have thrown at it :)

Hi, thats a steal price! The movie you are indicating - is it in MKV format. Try remuxing again using MKVtoolnix (googleit), it should help.

Update: WD TV support replied back, WD TV uses Sigma 8634

This is a disappointment as it's an older chipset having some known issues for MKV playback.

You really need to compare the depth & clarity of the MKV (h.264) picture as well. Sigma 8635 chipset delivers amazing quality. So "one to one" comparison with PCH will be very interesting.

I could predict a clear win for PCH.

You are the man, will try it tonight. Are u game for tomorrow's shoot out :)

How was the shoot out guys! share your experiances please!

I have almost made my mind for PCH and was asking NMT forum (networkedmediatank.com) about the custom duty if shipped to US. No answers yet. however, PCH sales responded stating that they are shipping all over the world from China (I have heard somehwere that they do ship from California for US orders).

I was almost about to order after creating google checkout account but then I thought i shall wait for 15 more days and see if I can get it shipped to US (I can save around $20 on shipping and $45 on custom if they are not charging customs for US deliveries). With this I have dropped (holding) my plan for buying a DVD player for now; I shall look at it later once I'm back from US.

btw, if anyone knows about custom duty on shipping PCH to US. please let me know.
Thanks.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back