HD Networked Media Tank (NMT)

would rate it better than budget CD Players. Need to visit Venkat and do a SQ test soon as i dont rate Phili a good music unit.

But then, WD plays flac et all, so budget ones not even a match in value.

@MBR - Awaiting your verdict on the SQ. Iomega has a similar product available at Reliance Digital. Planning to pick either that or WDTV. Can rip all movies in H.264 then.

@MBR - Awaiting your verdict on the SQ. Iomega has a similar product available at Reliance Digital. Planning to pick either that or WDTV. Can rip all movies in H.264 then.

Might take a week more as mom aint well. Btw: WD TV also plays in H.264. I am assuming u r talking about Iomega Screenplay (not HD one) as its equal to WD TV in price.

I have my reservation with IOmega bcos:
1. only 1080i up scaling
2. Only one HDMI
3. No digital audio out
4. Limited formats support (FLAC etc)

Link: Multimedia Adaptor: Connect your External Hard Drive to your TV

EVen their Pro HD model supports only 1080i (crap and they call professional HD :clapping:)

Multimedia Hard Drive: Multimedia Ethernet and USB PC to TV Video Hard Drive

Looks like not worth it. May be you should wait.

You will have to try it out for yourself. Don't have the PS3 myself, but a friend has it and it's pretty much a locked system. Has a lot of problems playing other region stuff/games, etc. He got his PS3 from the U.S. and it does not play locally bought games. Will check with him about locally bought Blu-Ray movies (if he has bought any) though he gets all his Blu-Ray movies from the Amazon Store and they play perfectly well.

I thought all ps3 games were region free - thats what the guys in best buy told me. Anyway bluray titles are region coded though.

I thought all ps3 games were region free - thats what the guys in best buy told me. Anyway bluray titles are region coded though.

That's what all the online forums say too, but we just could not get it to work on locally bought games.

Might take a week more as mom aint well. Btw: WD TV also plays in H.264. I am assuming u r talking about Iomega Screenplay (not HD one) as its equal to WD TV in price.

I have my reservation with IOmega bcos:
1. only 1080i up scaling
2. Only one HDMI
3. No digital audio out
4. Limited formats support (FLAC etc)

Link: Multimedia Adaptor: Connect your External Hard Drive to your TV

EVen their Pro HD model supports only 1080i (crap and they call professional HD :clapping:)

Multimedia Hard Drive: Multimedia Ethernet and USB PC to TV Video Hard Drive

Looks like not worth it. May be you should wait.

I think it has spdf out too.
Abt WD,does it recognize Laptop HD without ext casing, but with IDE to USB cable?

You will have to try it out for yourself. Don't have the PS3 myself, but a friend has it and it's pretty much a locked system. Has a lot of problems playing other region stuff/games, etc. He got his PS3 from the U.S. and it does not play locally bought games. Will check with him about locally bought Blu-Ray movies (if he has bought any) though he gets all his Blu-Ray movies from the Amazon Store and they play perfectly well.

What i actually wanted to know was...suppose i get a 1TB external drive, put all the HD movies i downloaded from the net into it, connect the hard drive via USB to my ps3, will i be able to watch the movies on my TV?? thanks in advance

What i actually wanted to know was...suppose i get a 1TB external drive, put all the HD movies i downloaded from the net into it, connect the hard drive via USB to my ps3, will i be able to watch the movies on my TV?? thanks in advance

Viginesh,

Why such a roundabout process? Just upgrade the HDD in the PS3 and you can copy the movies directly to it. Lots of online help available about how to change the HDD in the PS3.

@ mbr and enummagic -- shootout ka kya hua bhai log ??

You know what I had strictly decided that I wills tick to my Archos 605 wifi for all my divx and dvd playback needs. Two days back I even bought a GBP 14.67 plugin for my Archos 605 to play all ac3 movies but I want a WD media player now !! The only shortcoming is that it does not have wifi but I guess I can live with that, the prospect of storing all files in a single place and ability to playback all FLAC and mkv formats is just too enticing. I have limited mkv movies but if the same is possible then I am going to download only mkv movies from now on.
@mbr :-
1)Does it recognize your Maxtor hdd with ease ? I mean the specs says portable hdds only and I think your Maxtor must be requiring a separate power source. Hence do you face any reading issues , interrupted playback (lasting for less than half a sec) for music / mkv movies ( it occurs mainly on account of HDD spin up in my Archos 605).
2)Ever tried using a usb hub and plugging in 2 or more hdds using that hub ? Besides I think it is mentioned that you can plug two HDDs in the site itself and since there is only one port then I guess we will need to use a USB hub.
3) Is the HDMI port 1.3 or 1.1 ?

I am full of questions here so please do bear with me :eek:

@ mbr and enummagic -- shootout ka kya hua bhai log ??

You know what I had strictly decided that I wills tick to my Archos 605 wifi for all my divx and dvd playback needs. Two days back I even bought a GBP 14.67 plugin for my Archos 605 to play all ac3 movies but I want a WD media player now !! The only shortcoming is that it does not have wifi but I guess I can live with that, the prospect of storing all files in a single place and ability to playback all FLAC and mkv formats is just too enticing. I have limited mkv movies but if the same is possible then I am going to download only mkv movies from now on.
@mbr :-
1)Does it recognize your Maxtor hdd with ease ? I mean the specs says portable hdds only and I think your Maxtor must be requiring a separate power source. Hence do you face any reading issues , interrupted playback (lasting for less than half a sec) for music / mkv movies ( it occurs mainly on account of HDD spin up in my Archos 605).
2)Ever tried using a usb hub and plugging in 2 or more hdds using that hub ? Besides I think it is mentioned that you can plug two HDDs in the site itself and since there is only one port then I guess we will need to use a USB hub.
3) Is the HDMI port 1.3 or 1.1 ?

I am full of questions here so please do bear with me :eek:

.5: Since my mom is unwell I havent been able to meet eumagic for the shootout.

1. Absolute ease, my 80% full Maxtor external is scanned under 1 min. No issues at all in playback. External power source also ensures my max runs cool.

2. WD has 2 USBs so I have maxtor attached to one and 16GB pen drive to another and they work perfectly well. No issues at all after the new firmware update.

3. HDMI 1.2

Last edited:
.5: Since my mom is unwell I havent been able to meet eumagic for the shootout.

1. Absolute ease, my 80% full Maxtor external is scanned under 1 min. No issues at all in playback. External power source also ensures my max runs cool.

2. WD has 2 USBs so I have maxtor attached to one and 16GB pen drive to another and they work perfectly well. No issues at all after the new firmware update.

3. HDMI 1.3

Oh wow, thats really good to hear.

Now more questions :) :-
There have been a lot of complaints in Amazon.com and Amazon.uk reviews for the WD media player. They keep saying that the wd media player is not suitable for 40" lcd's and above as the video quality is not that great. They were also complaining about the fact that it takes ages for the wd player to read the hdd 1TB plus ( but now it seems the prob is not there anymore). Also did you buy this from the US or UK. What is the exact model number of your wd media player ? I am thinking of buying this from india with a 1 year warranty . Incidentally which LCD are you using ? What kind of mkv files do you play?

Hope your mom gets well soon and thx for your help.

Oh wow, thats really good to hear.

Now more questions :) :-
There have been a lot of complaints in Amazon.com and Amazon.uk reviews for the WD media player. They keep saying that the wd media player is not suitable for 40" lcd's and above as the video quality is not that great. They were also complaining about the fact that it takes ages for the wd player to read the hdd 1TB plus ( but now it seems the prob is not there anymore). Also did you buy this from the US or UK. What is the exact model number of your wd media player ? I am thinking of buying this from india with a 1 year warranty . Incidentally which LCD are you using ? What kind of mkv files do you play?

Hope your mom gets well soon and thx for your help.

1. Garbage in is Garbage out. Thats one problem people have. They play standards DVD and expect HD quality. This has resulted in the quality issue. Read my WD TV vs Oppo shoot out for more details.

2. I bought it in US and there is only one model as far as I know and its called WD TV ;)

3. I am using PV8 and PQ is excellent. Speed racer and Dark Knight blow me away in PQ (both are 720p mkv files with DTS). In fact a standard axxo (famous ripper know for PQ in his 700 MB rips of DVDs) rip of Hills have Eyes 2 in SD looks very very nice.

Last edited:
@MBR - Any info/news about WDTV handling HD Audio with firmware updates or is a new model on the way that will do it? I'm just holding on for something that will do HD Audio too.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back