HDMI TV or HDMI Monitor (24 inch) ????

zatang

There are 3 manufacturers (Dell, Benq and one more) which make 24" Full HD LCD monitors. These come very cheap at around 25k. I want to ask, leaving apart screen size, what to pay double the cost for a HDMI TV when we get a monitor at half the price?

Whats the advantage of a HDTV TV over a HDTV Monitor ? (considering screen size to be same )

Hi
Are you sure the DELL LCD monitor you talking about which has 24 inch screen size and supports HDMI is for Rs. 25,000 ?

Its Rs. 49,573/- excluding taxes according to the offical site

20" - 24" LCD Monitor

And i am sure Benq wont be selling at half the price

A monitor is a dumb screen that has no internal electronics that can process either video or audio. All the processing is done by the PC based graphics processor.

Most important, a monitor does not have a receiver so you cannot see any TV signals on it. If you want to do that you have to buy a graphics card that has a TV receiver built in, and route your set top box and satellite TV box through your computer.

In addition, the speaker in a monitor will usually be of very low power (generally 5 watts or so). It is not meant to be used to listen to music or the sound that accompanies a TV program. You are expected to sit some 2 to 3 feet from the monitor, or use headphones to listen to sound from a PC. That is the reason for low power.

In other words, a monitor will not work without a computer. That is the reason TVs are more expensive, as they have the electronics to work independent of any external processor for both video and sound. They also have an internal amplifier and speaker that can handle the sound that comes with video (such as TV programs or a movie)

Cheers

You will need an stand-alone TV Tuner box (in case you dont have a PC) and you have to process the sound seperately (probably a receiver).

I dont have any personal experience with the video quality of these models. From the specs, it looks like the contrast ratio is lesser than HDTVs.

Last edited:
You will need an stand-alone TV Tuner box (in case you dont have a PC) and you have to process the sound seperately (probably a receiver).

I dont have any personal experience with the video quality of these models. From the specs, it looks like the contrast ratio is lesser than HDTVs.

Most of these so called Full HD monitors have the same resolution (1920x1080) as that of HDTV. The contrast ration will also be the same ranging roughly from 10,000:1 to 20,000:1 and above.

These are general purpose monitors that are used for regular market. remember there are special monitors for very high graphics that have a resolution of 2560x1600.

HDTV have a long way to go as the media and graphics drivers of computers are very far ahead of TVs.

Back