Help for a Vinyl Newbie

nkalambara

Been following the threads here and been fascinated enough with the entire Vinyl / audiophile cult to take the plunge. While I have collected over 2000 CDs (mostly Classic Rock / Jazz), seeing the new vinyl imports from Virgin and Universal in Lankmark, Odyssey and Rhythm House was enough to push me over the edge!

Now I have a built a collection of over 20-25 vinyl titles over the last few days, but no TT player yet!

What are my choices? Can buy in India (pref. Chennai) or can have it imported from US thru friends. Budget wil be max 15-20K for the player + accessories. Am looking at Audio Technica AT-LP120, is it worth it? or is there a better option at that price point (~$200)

I currently own the following equipment

1. Denon 1910 AVR
2. Jamo S 606 HCS 6
3. Playstation 3
4. Sony BDP-S370

Will a TT fit into these details? What more would I need to buy to amke the most of my new passion;-)

thanks in advance

My cu

Hi,
You can look at the entry level tt from Project and Rega. Both are considered to be quite good and within your budget. Rega P1 comes fitted with Ortofon cartridge. Lifestyle audio & video, Pune are authorized dealers for Rega products in India.

Also check if your amplifier has provision for phone input. Otherwise you will have to invest in a suitable phono-amplifier as well.

Manoj

How do you intend to connect the TT. If I am not wrong Denon 1910 does not have a phono pre jack. Are you planning to buy a phono preamp? If yes consider NAD II and NAD III.

About TT, Project III and Denon DP 300F would be good choices. For ProJect Debut III you will have to stretch the budget a bit.

Which 20-25 records did you buy? Were they all new? I've so far only been to Rhythm House (since I live in Colaba) and I went to Landmark once but they didn't have much.. never been to Odyssey... would love to know if they have diff stuff from RH.

Last record I bought from RH was Cream's Disraeli Gears Picture Disc.

Been following the threads here and been fascinated enough with the entire Vinyl / audiophile cult to take the plunge. While I have collected over 2000 CDs (mostly Classic Rock / Jazz), seeing the new vinyl imports from Virgin and Universal in Lankmark, Odyssey and Rhythm House was enough to push me over the edge!

Now I have a built a collection of over 20-25 vinyl titles over the last few days, but no TT player yet!

What are my choices? Can buy in India (pref. Chennai) or can have it imported from US thru friends. Budget wil be max 15-20K for the player + accessories. Am looking at Audio Technica AT-LP120, is it worth it? or is there a better option at that price point (~$200)

I currently own the following equipment

1. Denon 1910 AVR
2. Jamo S 606 HCS 6
3. Playstation 3
4. Sony BDP-S370

Will a TT fit into these details? What more would I need to buy to amke the most of my new passion;-)

thanks in advance

My cu

hi,

you could consider the Project Audio Debut III which comes pre-fitted with Ortofon OMB 5E cartridge. This will be around your budget. But you will also need the Project Phono Box since 1910 does not have an in-built phono stage.

regards,

Abhishek

Which 20-25 records did you buy? Were they all new? I've so far only been to Rhythm House (since I live in Colaba) and I went to Landmark once but they didn't have much.. never been to Odyssey... would love to know if they have diff stuff from RH.

Tek,

Avoid picture discs like the plague. They are good for the novelty, but definitely NOT good for pure listening. Black discs, colored vinyl etc are fine, but picture discs are bought for mainly for just looking at. They do look nice!

Where are you picking up vinyls in Chennai ? Would be interested to have a look as well

Been picking up LPs from Landmark (Nungambakkam) and Odyssey (Adyar) in Chennai and a few from Rhythm House (Mumbai). Landmark seems to have exhausted their initial order and not sure of the re-order status. But I know the procurement guys in both the chennai stores and they have the complete catalogue of Universal & Virgin (the 2 companies currently importing LPs into India).

Think pricing is ok, but at times ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous - Rs. 7995 for a 4 disc set is prohibitive while most of the Rs. 695 are great

have picked up these LPs recently

1. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (2 LPs)
2. The Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet
3. The Rolling Stones - Get yer Yaya's out
4. Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
5. Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas
6. Queen - A Day at the Races
7. Coldplay - A rush of blood to the head
8. Radiohead - Pablo Honey

Have also picked up a lot of old (used LPs) in the past including

Elvis Prestley, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ABBA, Neil Diamond, Beegees etc

Oh did not know landmark and odyssey in Chennai were stocking LP's too. I picked up some LP's from Bangalore last time. Please give a buzz if you know when they re-stock their LP's

A friend of mine picked up some LP's for about 20 bucks each at Moore market. Quality is bad but some are doing ok after cleaning up

Nkalambara, I second Manojs Rega recommendation. Also look out for Thorens TD166 MkII with a Stanton 680EE MM cartridge. Both are good entry level Turntables.

A word of caution: New issue LPs are made from digital masters. These are not as musical as the old pressings. There could be lots of people in Madras who are throwing out their collections. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I left India in 1969.

Regards,
Mohan

Picked up the new Iron Maiden 2xLP Set. Best priced New LP around (if you dig Metal!) at Rs. 995. Yet to pick up my TT though! Travelling to Singapore next month on work - any suggestion on brands/models I can pick & where? Will be there for a week+. 20-30 Blu-rays + maybe a new Universal BD player are already on the list

Am off to Singapore the weekend on work for around 10 days. Any suggestions on places to shop there for a TT? Budget is small - Max 15K. Will I need a phono amp to connect to my Denon 1910 AVR?

You'll get a Project Debut III at that price. If you increase your budget to 22k you can get a Project RPM 1.3... A much better TT with a superb Ortofon 2m cartridge. You'll also need a Phono stage. You could get a Project Phonobox for approx rs 4k.

This should do it very very nicely for you!

This weekend i had been to landmark at andheri and found 20 odd discs there. acdc, iron maiden among the others. do check out and if you want any specific ones i think you can pre-order with those guys.

is Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable - Audio Technica a good buy for a beginner.
my dad has a philips one old and quite a few hindi records but my brother has already asked for it therefore i cannot ask my dad. looking to buy this on Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more
please share reviews on this. also is ordering from amazong ok? what would be the customs (if any).
i have a yamaha home theater system RX 397 (not too sure. will check that)
can i connect this turn table with my receiver and experience the sound on my home theater.
also if people can suggest better players and place to buy used and new records in and around mumbai.
regards

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back