Help - I need to buy AC Power cord

Vishal

My older AC power cable had a mini disaster. During a hot day of moderate amp use, my power cord's insulation gave way and it sparked and burnt out. Thankfully, I could smell it and shut the power but it was scary.

I need to buy a reliable AC POWER CORD for my AV equipment. My Amp and CDP both have a male power socket. Where in India (pref Mumbai or online) can I buy a good AC Power cord?

Thank you,

Vishal

Get in touch with Magma on the forum. He does power cables among other things and he is from Mumbai.

my power cord's insulation gave way and it sparked and burnt out.

:eek:

Was the power cord supplied with the amp? I find it frightening that amp could have burnt it out --- and it might indicate a fault with the amp. Could be a good idea to get it checked out, both for the sake of the amp and for the sake of not burning your house down.

I just keep all the power cables from all of the equipment that has passed through my hands --- and re-use it where necessary. A PC power cord should do the job for you.

No, you do not need to buy anything from a "hifi" source --- just something that is electrically decent. There was a recent thread...

:eek:

Was the power cord supplied with the amp? I find it frightening that amp could have burnt it out --- and it might indicate a fault with the amp. Could be a good idea to get it checked out, both for the sake of the amp and for the sake of not burning your house down.

No, you do not need to buy anything from a "hifi" source --- just something that is electrically decent. There was a recent thread...

I bought a used amp and the cord was given by the seller. The cord to amp connection was loose and i had to fiddle with it to work. Maybe a short circuit but it was a heart-in-my-mouth moment. I inspected the cord and saw a lil cut where the insulation had burnt off.. Maybe the cord got damaged or scraped behind the furniture??

That is a likely explanation indeed.

Do you use a 6-amp (small) or 16-amp (big) plug? I was quite surprised that when I bought an amp in India it came with the bigger one ---- but always better (well, safer,) to over-specify on these things.

5 amp (interesting that you say 6 as I always thought its 5 and 15 amps).

I am planning to go over to a local market known for electric goods and buy a power cord. What should I look for in terms of rating - the Amp is rated 350 Watts. Which means I should buy a cord rated BELOW that right?

5 amp (interesting that you say 6 as I always thought its 5 and 15 amps).

So did I! I have a 16-amp plug box to hand, and that is what it says on the box. Not 100% sure about 5/6. I'm a bit number-blind and mix numbers up.
the Amp is rated 350 Watts. Which means I should buy a cord rated BELOW that right?

No, ABOVE! It would do no harm if you rigged up something with the heavy armoured cable that carries 3-phase into your house, but it would be very dangerous to use stuff made for a battery-operated door bell.

See here (although the formula is so simple most people could do it in their heads :eek:).

220 Volts, 350 watts, 1.6amp.

A 6-amp (5?) lead/plug looks as if it would be fine. But... if you have a 16-amp socket, then go for that because ...why not!

If the voltage drops, the current draw rises. This can be a danger, which is one reason to go for excess. And anyway, outside the world of a certain group of people, it is hardly going to cost more to go for 16-amp.

If you are tempted by the audiophillia (I was, once!) then read the thread which I will now try to find and add the link to before spending your money. You can then make a much more informed decision.

EDIT. Here you go: Power cables - am bewildered. The whole thing is only 5-6 pages long.

~

Last edited:
MX Power Cords are very well built and great VFM.
They cost about Rs 150 each and are widely available.

if the source is a 3 pin including ground, get a matching power chord.Never ever use power chords that have a slit insulation or the plug configuration does not match. Like the earliers posters have said any decent power chords should work. If you observer the ones with desktop PCs are some of the good ones to use if you can ensure the gauge is right (lower value = better).

As you mentioned, if you had to fiddle around to connect to your amp, then its something not desirable as well.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back