Help me decide on a TV!

KiD0M4N

Hey guys,

Another 'help me decide' thread!

Right now I am torn between these choices!!!!

Panasonic P50V20D - 50" - Plasma - 1.15L (lowest the Panasonic Brand shop would go down to)

Sony 46EX400 - 46" - CCFL LCD - 84.9K (again, price from Sony Center)

Sony 46EX700 - 46" - Edge LED - 1.29L (Sony Center)

Samsung 46C650 - 46" - CCFL LCD - ?? (no idea about price)

Samsung 46C6200 / 46C6900 - 46" - Edge LED - ?? (no idea about price)

I got some expert advise (from reignofchaos) and his recommendation was that the Edge Lit LED TVs are not worth the price and he gave the thumbs up for the Panny 50" Plasma.

I am located in Koramangala, Bangalore....

Any advise?

Regards,
Karan Misra

Well the 46EX400 comes with a SPVA panel should cost around 66k or less in grey market.No point paying the tax for a our stupid KA government.

46EX700 comes with a new X gen sharp panel,with slightly better viewing angles and better motion.as Deep blacks.should cost around 98k in grey market.

The samsung prices are based soley on the bargaining skills.

I would go with the lcds,with all the infamous issues with panasonic plasmas.

Well the 46EX400 comes with a SPVA panel should cost around 66k or less in grey market.No point paying the tax for a our stupid KA government.

46EX700 comes with a new X gen sharp panel,with slightly better viewing angles and better motion.as Deep blacks.should cost around 98k in grey market.

The samsung prices are based soley on the bargaining skills.

I would go with the lcds,with all the infamous issues with panasonic plasmas.

What are the disadvantages of picking something up from the grey market? No warranty? Possibility of fudged up piece? No installation support?

I am making the purchase tomorrow... so any/all inputs are welcome.

Also, any representative ideas of the Samsung panels?

Well in samsung you either get SPVA or AMVA,in CCFL version you may also get the SMVA,which is slightly inferior in viewing angle departement.

Well the only disadvantage is not getting the warranty in grey.

You can't get installation done like wall mounting.But for lcds its better to keep them in a low height stand .
You will get a sealed piece mostly imported the previous day,the one advantage in grey market apart from the price is that one gets to view the actual tv that you will bring to your home,so one check for dead pixels,backlight bleed etc.

Since even in showroom purchase the warranty may not cover just 1 dead pixel & you will get to see the tv only when its brought to your house.
The warranty given is just 1 year.

The authorized service centres will of course do a paid service.

Make sure you buy a stabilizer like vguard digi 100 or vg crystal

adder bhai, where is your store (gray market) located I 'd like to visit some time :lol:

But on a serious note we will loose the peace of mind if we buy in gray market and something wrong happens to the TV. Yes you can get lucky at times and nothing happens to the TV.

Service centers they charge helluva money once they come to know it was purchased from a gray store not authorised.

To the point you said paying taxes to govt then why not get it from a diff place where the taxes are less (provided transportation not too expensive)

You have got to be a localite to strike a good deal in the gray market also to deal with them later if required.

unless there is serious difference of 30 - 40% of saving I would not risk buying from gray market (just my thoughts)

Just in case if you are not aware, do look into FULL HD Plasmas from LG/Samsung.
Models to look for are:
1. Samsung 50C550 for about ~70K
2. LG 50PK550R for about ~62K (Bangalore price from where I bought this TV).

The LG is more reflective than the Samsung but available for 8 to 10K lesser.
Since you have not ruled out Plasma, thought of letting you know about these models.

Also if you ready to spend about 1.2L(dealer price), you can get a 60" FullHD plasma aka 60PK550R. i.e. if your room size is large enough for a 60" TV. Again just thought of letting you know just-in case you are unaware of this model.

I am not sure whether this applies for LCDs, but for Plasmas demo on the showroom does not give you the right impression. If any of your friends have got one of these Plasmas do get a home demo.

Since liking a TV is very personal choice, I would not recommend a particular model for you. For me the reflection is not bothering and hence happy about my LG TV so far.

And by the way if I were to choose a TV from your list, that would be P50V20D. Again its just my taste :)

Just in case if you are not aware, do look into FULL HD Plasmas from LG/Samsung.
Models to look for are:

Since you have not ruled out Plasma, thought of letting you know about these models.

Also if you ready to spend about 1.2L(dealer price), you can get a 60" FullHD plasma aka 60PK550R. i.e. if your room size is large enough for a 60" TV. Again just thought of letting you know just-in case you are unaware of this model.

I am not sure whether this applies for LCDs, but for Plasmas demo on the showroom does not give you the right impression. If any of your friends have got one of these Plasmas do get a home demo.

Since liking a TV is very personal choice, I would not recommend a particular model for you. For me the reflection is not bothering and hence happy about my LG TV so far.

Dotmac.

Where did u get the quote of 70k for sammy plasma.

:rolleyes:

adder bhai, where is your store (gray market) located I 'd like to visit some time :lol:

But on a serious note we will loose the peace of mind if we buy in gray market and something wrong happens to the TV. Yes you can get lucky at times and nothing happens to the TV.

Service centers they charge helluva money once they come to know it was purchased from a gray store not authorised.
HA ha i don't have any store.But if a product is available in grey market i usually buy them there from cameras to cordless phones,unless the price difference is less then 10%.
Service centres won't even know whether one bought in the grey market,like i said before my friend service is many year old CRT which was not sold in india bought from grey .

To the point you said paying taxes to govt then why not get it from a diff place where the taxes are less (provided transportation not too expensive)

You have got to be a localite to strike a good deal in the gray market also to deal with them later if required.

unless there is serious difference of 30 - 40% of saving I would not risk buying from gray market (just my thoughts)

So what are you saying take a flight to South asian countries and get them:rolleyes:
You have no idea how many people buy lcds in grey market,i am not exactly a localite and suck at bargaining.but i did save a lot from buying in grey market my tvs are all going strong.

HA ha i don't have any store.But if a product is available in grey market i usually buy them there from cameras to cordless phones,unless the price difference is less then 10%.
Service centres won't even know whether one bought in the grey market,like i said before my friend service is many year old CRT which was not sold in india bought from grey .

So what are you saying take a flight to South asian countries and get them:rolleyes:
You have no idea how many people buy lcds in grey market,i am not exactly a localite and suck at bargaining.but i did save a lot from buying in grey market my tvs are all going strong.

:sad: now you got me thinking

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr keep one sunday free I might need your help to buy a new 50" LCD/Plasma TV :D

Models to look for are:

Interesting post. Viewing distance>8 ft can take a 60" if I remember right. My next TV will certainly be more than 50". I currently have a Sony 40" that's beginning to look small to me.

I was wondering about plasmas in 2010. Is the situation with reflective screens any better now? And the burn in issues? And do plasmas require "professional installation" nowadays? In the early days, plasmas were known to have heat problems. How come LCDs still command higher prices?

Dotmac.

Where did u get the quote of 70k for sammy plasma.

:rolleyes:

I didn't the quote for myself as a month ago it was not available for that price.
The above quote is the price Sanjay paid. :)
Source
Quote:
Price: MRP Rs. 85,000 | DP Rs. 80,000 | Retail Rs. 69,500 (Paid Rs 550 for transportation from Delhi to Gurgaon, to have the TV delivered right away) Thus total cost for me Rs. 70,500.

And by the way, 62K for LG is a price I paid. Compare India lists it at 59,990.

Interesting post. Viewing distance>8 ft can take a 60" if I remember right. My next TV will certainly be more than 50". I currently have a Sony 40" that's beginning to look small to me.

I was wondering about plasmas in 2010. Is the situation with reflective screens any better now? And the burn in issues? And do plasmas require "professional installation" nowadays? In the early days, plasmas were known to have heat problems. How come LCDs still command higher prices?

Well do you really want to sit that close to a 60" tv,my eyes get really tired sitting close to tvs.
Well the best of plasma reflect more then a lcd or in others worlds glossy lcds from samsung are still better.
Matte screen lcds are still the best in handling reflection.
Lcd are getting cheaper a 40" FHD lcd is cheaper then a FHD 42" plasma.only in bigger size do plasma have a comfortable price edge,but even then lcds still outsell plasmas.
1iiidj.gif

I already feel my 50" TV small ;)
What the heck, my wife who was complaining that 42" TV would be too much, now share my opinion :)
By the way my viewing distance is about 10 ft.

I was wondering about plasmas in 2010.
Let me try to answer based on my experience with LG 2010 plasma. Though I am not a pro with this stuff.

Is the situation with reflective screens any better now?
As of now no Plasma come with the matte finish that LCDs use. On the contrary some of the latest LCDs have dropped the matte screen and use a glossy screens. So reflection is there. How much it bothers one is a personal thing.

And the burn in issues?
From what I read from international reports, burn-in is a thing of past. HDGuru (if I remember right) tried hard to cause burn-in on 2009 models and failed.
Anyways, I wont be experimenting ;)

Temporary Image Retention is there in the early days of Plasma. Panasonic seems most immune while LG/Samsung are more susceptible.

And do plasmas require "professional installation" nowadays?
I am not sure what you meant exactly. But for me no professional installation was needed. And again I am not a professional myself.

In the early days, plasmas were known to have heat problems.
Nothing that I am aware of. Myself and Sanjay(who owns Samsung) can confirm that you wont even hear the buzzing noise older plasmas used to generate.

How come LCDs still command higher prices?
I am not sure why they are expensive.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

A Panasonic P50V20D is on the way to my home. Should be here soon!

Any checks I should do upon receiving it to make sure it is brand new? The dealer offered to take payment after installation at my place.

Any checks I should do upon receiving it to make sure it is brand new? The dealer offered to take payment after installation at my place.

Wow! payment after the installation nice..... What was the final price and who'z :D the dealer?

Congrats! You made the right choice. I picked up a 50V10 end of last year and am very happy with it. I think it has the best picture quality after the Pioneers (RIP!). Hope they have improved the sound quality though in the V20 but it should not matter if you are using a HT setup.

Wow cool man. That was fast!!!
Guess ur the first one to get the 50" 2010 Pana. Do post some snaps once it is installed.

Just check the package. If the original tape sealing the box is peeled and reapplied, you can make out. Typically there will also be staples(large once) over the tape. If you find staple holes and no staples, thats another hint for you.
If you see ghost images on the screen out of the box, definitely its used.

Again congratulation on the buy. Njoy the beauty.

Congrats man!
Please post initial review (first impressions) and detailed review little latter.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back