Help me make my final decision!

rahuljonline

So, I finally thought of stretching my budget upto 40ks.
So, here's what I have shortlisted:
1. Onkyo TX-SR508 (7.1 AVR) and Onkyo HTS-528 (5.1 speaker set). I'll add my philips bookshelves to complete the 7.1. Sounded nice, movie, music etc. My best bet right now.
2. Yamaha RX-V465 & Yamaha NS-8900 (towers) and NSP-8900 (rear and centre). No Subs.
3. Denon 1610 or 1311 & Polk RM 6750.

Please help me decide, as I'll be watching lots of HD movies (all AVRs can decode HD audio, DTS-MA etc.), and will also be listening to 5.1 DTS FLAC files and Concerts, through WD TV Live.
Please help me decide, they'll all be priced around 40ks.
If you have other suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Buy a decent used TWO CHANNEL STEREO Amp -- Arcam Diva/Marantz/CA/Nad/Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo with a used pair of Towers -Monitor Audio,Dali,Quad,Dynaudio Audience,or new Wharfedale/Polk/Kef/Jamo Towers.For both Music and Movies.If your room size is small,less than 150 sq.feet,then you would probably be better off with a used pair of bookshelf's like Quad 11L2,B&W 685,Monitor Audio Bronze B1.B2,Dynaudio Audience 42....
Most 5.1,7.1,100.1?:) especially in the sub 50 K range are TOYS.Avoid.
Recently I had the (dubious) pleasure of checking out a very expensively(interiors/size of the room were great) done home theater,with the works--screen,projector,blue ray,hi-def,fs/rs/sub(An all BOSE speaker system).The sound was 'shril' 'weak' 'tinny'.Really it had nothing going for it.The owner with all good intentions and passion for what he was doing,had spent a whole lotta time and money.IMO where he faltered was --that he began with a pre-conceived idea of buying an AVR/5.1 home theater and then opted for an over hyped Bose System,after little or no research.My point is that for SOUND QUALITY,don't begin with the assumption that 5.1/AVR will sound better than 2 Channel/Stereo Amp.Check out both.With music the two channel will win hands down.With movies listen for your self.Quantity is not everything.Rather than buying 5 bad speakers,perhaps you would be better off buying two good ones.

Last edited:
Buy a decent used TWO CHANNEL STEREO Amp -- Arcam Diva/Marantz/CA/Nad/Yamaha/Denon with a used pair of Towers -Monitor Audio,Dali,Quad,Dynaudio Audience,or new Wharfedale/Polk/Kef/Jamo Towers.For both Music and Movies.If your room size is small,less than 150 sq.feet,then you would probably be better off with a used pair of bookshelf's like Quad 11L2,B&W 685,Monitor Audio Bronze B1.B2,Dynaudio Audience 42....
Most 5.1,7.1,100.1?:) especially in the sub 50 K range are TOYS.Avoid.

He is looking for HT, i think so why suggesting 2 channel?

It is like suggesting a 2 door Porsche 911 who is looking for a premium SUV like Porsche cayyane..

Bot vehicles are totally different with different ideology ,and BTW 911 cannot be used in rough terrain and cayanne cannot match 911 in high speed handling.:eek:hyeah:

@Ajay: I appreciate your help, but Hemant is correct. I know stereo amps sound better, etc. But I have auditioned 5.1 systems, and they were pretty nice for movies, and for live concerts with 5.1 dts too.
My room size is 400 sq ft. And so would like to experience the 5.1/7.1 now. Also, sound recorded in 5.1 channels would sound better in 5.1, rather than stereo, and I have a lot of such stuff.
I cant purchase used AVRs and speakers, as its not easily available in Kolkata, and also I need my AVRs to be able to decode the latest HD audi etc.
So, right, after all the auditions, i short listed these 3 combinations. So, please help.

my take
Yamaha mass market spoeakers are not great
Ditto about Onko so Try Denon + Polk
also decide max stretched budget. Check other combinations too esp see if you can upgrade polk fronts.
See if you get anty yamaha + mission package .....their Dealer is savoy mumbai
INDEX
try to contact him and see any new packagers there.In mumbai their are some packages with fromnt towers so it will give a lot of flexibality

how about these? these were listed on ebay under deals of the week 2-3 weeks back, I can check on the availability with Savoy. prices include shipping.

for 48k:
Yamaha RX-V465 - Receiver
Mission M34i Floorstanders - Front
Mission MHT - Center
Mission MHT - Surround
no sub

for 43.5k:
Yamaha RX-V465 - Receiver
Mission M30i Bookshelves - 2 pairs Front & Surround
Mission M3C1i - Center
Mission MS-10 - Subwoofer

I have no idea on the sound quality of the combos, experts should be able to help the OP

Last edited:
@ yogesh , you know someone from savoy?
There is an add on team-bhp, appears to be smeone from savoy who claims tto ship india wide..

( CAUTION _ PROCEED WITH YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!)
Team-BHP Classifieds - Yamaha Home Theatre and Koss Headphones - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Ad says

AD in behalf of my firend

We are the offical distributors of Yamaha /Mission /Koss / OMB products.

we have listed our products on ebay.in also

will give you much better deal then ebay too and with free shipping to anywhere in india.

any product requirement kindly email us on [email protected]

( PLS DO YOUR RESEARCH)

@ yogesh , you know someone from savoy?
There is an add on team-bhp, appears to be smeone from savoy who claims tto ship india wide..

( CAUTION _ PROCEED WITH YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!)
Team-BHP Classifieds - Yamaha Home Theatre and Koss Headphones - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Ad says

AD in behalf of my firend

We are the offical distributors of Yamaha /Mission /Koss / OMB products.

we have listed our products on ebay.in also

will give you much better deal then ebay too and with free shipping to anywhere in india.

any product requirement kindly email us on [email protected]

( PLS DO YOUR RESEARCH)

this would have been posted by my friend on teambhp.
I know the owner of Savoy, but I can't always get the best prices since he doesn't want to spoil his relationship with his dealers. There are some products which he won't sell online.

I stay in Kolkata, and Mission speakers are not available here. I'm also not to keen about shipping the products, buying from Mumbai etc.
So, I believe you've recomended Denon and Polk.

have you contacted

Sanen Acoustics
Manufacturers & Importers of Speakers,
Home Theater, Digital Theater Sound

Shop No.4, Runwal Commercial Complex,
L.B.S.Marg, Mulund-W, Mumbai-400080.

Phone - 91- 22 - 2590 5882
91- 22 - 2567 0017

Fax - 91- 22 - 2590 5882

E-Mail- [email protected]
[email protected]

Customer Service

Please contact on 9820187582 / 9820301066

Sanen

No, but I stay in Kolkata, do they ship here?

1. I also found out the Onkyo guy selling Jamo S406 towers. Adding cenntres and rear (no sub for now), wouldnt that be a better combination with Onkyo TX-508 than the Onkyo 528 speakers?
2. Also I want to know how good are Paradigm Cinema 70 (5.1 package). I'm getting these for 30ks. Should I bargain more, what should be an appropriate price for these?
3. Does anybody know if Wharfedale Moviestar is available in Kolkata?

1. I also found out the Onkyo guy selling Jamo S406 towers. Adding cenntres and rear (no sub for now), wouldnt that be a better combination with Onkyo TX-508 than the Onkyo 528 speakers?
2. Also I want to know how good are Paradigm Cinema 70 (5.1 package). I'm getting these for 30ks. Should I bargain more, what should be an appropriate price for these?
3. Does anybody know if Wharfedale Moviestar is available in Kolkata?

Listen to both paradigm / Wharf and the mission package all will come in 20 to 30k budget...

Paradigm has high regard for movies and music.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back