Help me to choose AVR - Onkyo 838 OR Marantz 6009 OR Pioneer LX58

Have you auditioned any of the options that you are considering ? Merely buying a product based on suggestions often turns out to be an expensive mistake. Because everyone has a different definition of quality sound.
Also, you have been asking the same HDCP 2.2 question under various threads and expecting different answers. I wonder if you have already madeup your mind on what you want to buy and are merely looking for affirmation.

Should I have to compromise with sound quality, if I choose onkyo 838 over Marantz 6009 ? OR both are same?

Somehow, I see an aversion to Onkyo in the forum.

Also, I am the victim of Onkyo HDMI issues.

None of these brands would let you down in terms sound for movies. What is more important is to ensure the AVR has enough juice. If you speaker is rated at 100 watts @ 8 ohms, I would go for at least 150 watts if not more.

Each of these brands have their own distinct sounds, which are very small differences. Some may push bass, some maybe warm, etc.

I dont think there is any aversion to Onkyo. Yes their support in India is wanting, but Onkyo sound is superb. And, I think they have overcome their HDMI issues. That is not an issue any more.

Cheers

I haven't heard Pioneer LX Series nor the latest Marantz SR series... Since you have mentioned Pioneer LX series, i believe you have good budget...

Having used Onkyo AVR for a decade, i would say you would be easily impressed by its movie performance and music too...

None of these brands would let you down in terms sound for movies. What is more important is to ensure the AVR has enough juice. If you speaker is rated at 100 watts @ 8 ohms, I would go for at least 150 watts if not more.

Each of these brands have their own distinct sounds, which are very small differences. Some may push bass, some maybe warm, etc.

I dont think there is any aversion to Onkyo. Yes their support in India is wanting, but Onkyo sound is superb. And, I think they have overcome their HDMI issues. That is not an issue any more.

Cheers

Thanks a lot.

All the AVRs which I've shortlisted (mid range) have around 100 W power. But the most of tower speakers are rated around 100 w. Will Bi-Amping help?
One more clarification, reqd...I really don't know, whether it's my perception or true. Tamil/South stereo songs sound better than Hindi. Is it because if CD stamping?

Last edited:
I haven't heard Pioneer LX Series nor the latest Marantz SR series... Since you have mentioned Pioneer LX series, i believe you have good budget...

Having used Onkyo AVR for a decade, i would say you would be easily impressed by its movie performance and music too...

Thanks.

Recently I had audition of Pioneer LX87 and LX58, I had some of the Rehaman's composition. While I was listening to 'Sadda Haq' of Rockstar, at point (around 4:15), just pushed it 90%, you know, AVR got heated and switched-off. Also, I was very disappointed with stereo performance.

Have you auditioned any of the options that you are considering ? Merely buying a product based on suggestions often turns out to be an expensive mistake. Because everyone has a different definition of quality sound.
Also, you have been asking the same HDCP 2.2 question under various threads and expecting different answers. I wonder if you have already madeup your mind on what you want to buy and are merely looking for affirmation.

Like I said earlier, It's difficult now a days to get audition of different AVRs under same env. Dealers don't keep latest models ready for demo. I am trying with previous models. Dealers say, "People get the audition here and oder from online".

Used Onkyo for more than 6 years. When I bought that, I didn't know what to look for (still don't know, honestly), I didn't take expert opinion, and found it was mistake. I didn't like the Stereo performance, also I face infamous HDMI issues.

Though I liked specs of Onkyo 838, these things make me worried. As I see in lot forums and speaker dealers, Marantz/Denon are favored over Onkyo.

My preference is 70% stereo. So, I am really looking for the answers like,
* Has Onkyo improved it's Stereo performances over these years? if so is its at par with most acclaimed Marantz ?
* Will there be significant difference between Onkyo 6XX and 8XX models, in SQ ?
* Onkyo 636 & 737 weigh 11.5 kgs but 838 is 15.5 kg, what this imply?
* And most imp, If go with Marantz, is that worth to sacrifice HDCP 2.2 and Dolby Atmos for its SQ?

Last edited:
Thanks.

Recently I had audition of Pioneer LX87 and LX58, I had some of the Rehaman's composition. While I was listening to 'Sadda Haq' of Rockstar, at point (around 4:15), just pushed it 90%, you know, AVR got heated and switched-off. Also, I was very disappointed with stereo performance.

Pioneer LX series have Sabre Crystal DAC which have received some very good response in all of the reviews.... What speakers were they paired with.. Hope the playback was in Pure/Direct mode without any digital room correction feature enabled...

Like I said earlier, It's difficult now a days to get audition of different AVRs under same env. Dealers don't keep latest models ready for demo. I am trying with previous models. Dealers say, "People get the audition here and oder from online".

Used Onkyo for more than 6 years. When I bought that, I didn't know what to look for (still don't know, honestly), I didn't take expert opinion, and found it was mistake. I didn't like the Stereo performance, also I face infamous HDMI issues.

Though I liked specs of Onkyo 838, these things make me worried. As I see in lot forums and speaker dealers, Marantz/Denon are favored over Onkyo.

My preference is 70% stereo. So, I am really looking for the answers like,
* Has Onkyo improved it's Stereo performances over these years? if so is its at par with most acclaimed Marantz ?
* Will there be significant difference between Onkyo 6XX and 8XX models, in SQ ?
* Onkyo 636 & 737 weigh 11.5 kgs but 838 is 15.5 kg, what this imply?
* And most imp, If go with Marantz, is that worth to sacrifice HDCP 2.2 and Dolby Atmos for its SQ?

It is induvidual preferences.... I have used Marantz AVR & Onkyo AVR back to back for a good period of time.... I prefer Onkyo over Marantz.... Because Onkyo sound the way juz like how i expect my music to be....

If you want a good stereo sound I suggest you get an entry level integrated amp. Their music quality would be far superior to the stereo quality of even a high end avr. You could make a good entry level stereo setup and then in a few years once the HDCP codec becomes mainstream and the source/media is abundantly available you could finally upgrade to a new receiver.
If the dealer refuses to entertain your request for a demo I think you should steer clear. Its audio afterall and only a listen would help.

Last edited:
If you want a good stereo sound I suggest you get an entry level integrated amp. Their music quality would be far superior to the stereo quality of even a high end avr. You could make a good entry level stereo setup and then in a few years once the HDCP codec becomes mainstream and the source/media is abundantly available you could finally upgrade to a new receiver.
If the dealer refuses to entertain your request for a demo I think you should steer clear. Its audio afterall and only a listen would help.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Its very good idea. Since I already have 5.1 setup, somehow I am inclined towards full pledged AVR.

I've found some facts about Onkyo 838

Though it supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, it doesn't make it future proof, I believe.

* It supports only 10.2 gbps of bandwidth (HDMI 1.4 spec) not 18 gbps which is HMDI 2.0 standard.
* It doesn't support HEVC, which is one of essential technology for 4k streaming.
* It sports, Silicon Image SiL9679, it only supports a 4:2:0 chroma subsampling not the 4:4:4 color space.

So, Is Marantz only choice left?
But it's not available for one more month.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back