Help Required lost in this hi fi jargon.

taureanme

Hi everyone i am a Army doctor presently posted in indore after a 3 yr stint in kashmir.i am interested in buying a home theatre system but as i was going through the various forums i seem to be completely lost as to what system would be good for me.i request you people to plz kindly guide me in purchase of my home theatre system .

my budget is around 25k and the most imp thing is being in army i have to keep on roaming the whole country which include remotest and unheard places.so looking for some thing which could be easy to install and carry with me all over.i have a samsung Tv and a LG Laptop.i would like to connect the system to it.request yoy guys to please guide me in my selection and any places in and around indore where i can make the purchase.and as i said being a doc im very poor in the terminology lilke wattage and other stuff plz.thx u in advance.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

You can try Onkyo 3100 or 3200.[around 25k]
Yamaha YHT 195.[25k +]

again the receiver will be heavy[around 7 kgs] and speaker + subwoofer would contribute to another 5 or 6 kgs.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Welcome Doctor
Another good combo is Harmon + Jbl
( chk model nos in the forum)

Are you planning to buy through CSD route?
Then please let us know what brands/models are available and we can comment

Hemant

hello sir,welcome to the forum
in ur budget i will suggest u to go and audition yamaha yht-195 it's truly value for money.
most of HTiB's carry around 15 to 18kg of wight so if this much wight is not an issue for u then u can surely go for them and as far as installation is concerned it is not a big deal u can connect your system easily.

A doctor, that too in Army! I would like to thank you for your service to the nation. Welcome to the forum and have a great time here. But it can be a pretty addictive place, so beware!

regards

Hi everyone i am a Army doctor presently posted in indore after a 3 yr stint in kashmir.i am interested in buying a home theatre system but as i was going through the various forums i seem to be completely lost as to what system would be good for me.i request you people to plz kindly guide me in purchase of my home theatre system .

my budget is around 25k and the most imp thing is being in army i have to keep on roaming the whole country which include remotest and unheard places.so looking for some thing which could be easy to install and carry with me all over.i have a samsung Tv and a LG Laptop.i would like to connect the system to it.request yoy guys to please guide me in my selection and any places in and around indore where i can make the purchase.and as i said being a doc im very poor in the terminology lilke wattage and other stuff plz.thx u in advance.

Actually Doctor

How much of the shifting do you actually do with your own hands? With the presence of co-operative staff to handle your shifting an 8 piece system should be ok. The only problem will be finding a spot in every new home for the 5.1 speakers without compromising on sound quality. That might be the real challenge. Soundbar is a good idea in that case ... else you may get better sound from a 5.1 setup.

Cheers

First of all, thank you and and to your fellow comrades for your services to the country. We all owe you a sense of gratitude.

My recommendation is to go for something that will be low cost and easy to carry. Since the components will be exposed to various types of weather conditions as well as wear and tear from transportation, I would say, go for a HTiB (Home Theatre In a Box) from Onkyo or Philips or Yamaha. These are sturdy and easy to carry with you.

The models are :

Onkyo : 3105, 5105
Yamaha: YHT 195
Phillips : 4750

There are always bargains to be had with one of these systems. I would strongly encourage you to listen to as many such systems before making the purchase so you can get a feel for the sound as well as the prices. Take your favourite CDs for the auditions. And finally you need to have patience before the purchase and being a doctor I am sure this is a core trait in you.

doc first all want to thank you and the rest of the army personnel for the wonderful job they do keeping us lazy no-gooders safe:p

BTW you have not mentioned what is your typical usage? movies or music since that would play an important role in deciding the components sir.

All of the mentioned models are good like onkyo 3105/5105/YHT 195 etc (leave the philps HTiB out of the picture). or even the soundbar is to be considered if you are going to use it for movies only.

But judging from the nature of your question - i guess its a HTiB that you want - check out the YHT 195 or Onkyo 3200/5105 - All of them will give you an upgrade path too and not fixed in functionality like the soundbar or the philips HTiB.

The YHT 195 if set right can reproduce music well too while its very acceptable for movies as well. The going rate was around 21k at Vijay Sales in Mumbai - so if you got the CSD route it might be cheaper. Plus you have the benefit of upgrading to a better system later in you life and use it as a secondary system.

Though the soundbar is pure convenience - music sucks on it - i have tried the yamaha, samsung as well as Philips models.

Hi Thankx friends for your kind advice.As adviced i went to E zone Indore for audition at TI mall and AB road and as predicted at both the places the salesmen tried best to persuade me to buy a sony Hometheatre system when i insisted on trying either a onkyo or yamaha system all the reply i got was that the starting models avaliable in indore were starting at 45K plus and that too very bulky models weighin around 30 kgs plus.so i droppped the plan of going in for a system presently.am planning to go to delhi in August will try for a good bargain out there.once again thx all you friends for your advice and that too very fast.

Hi Thankx friends for your kind advice.As adviced i went to E zone Indore for audition at TI mall and AB road and as predicted at both the places the salesmen tried best to persuade me to buy a sony Hometheatre system when i insisted on trying either a onkyo or yamaha system all the reply i got was that the starting models avaliable in indore were starting at 45K plus and that too very bulky models weighin around 30 kgs plus.so i droppped the plan of going in for a system presently.am planning to go to delhi in August will try for a good bargain out there.once again thx all you friends for your advice and that too very fast.

Say no to Sony as Onkyo & Yamaha makes better HT setups.
So pls.take demo & decide which you liked the most.

IMHO JBL + Harmon is better as it has 8 Inch Active Sub ( Onkyo has passive and Yamaha only 6 Inch - it is not even qualify as proper sub!)
And JBL has expertise in speakers !!

Back