Help required to get Philips EG 1400 cartridge

Audio_Freek

Hi FM's

Due to Love towards Turntables and records,I recently acquired a COSMIC COGRAM 4000 TT and found the cartridge is been not working.The cartridge is Philips EG 1400.Kindly help me to get a replacement cartridge to give life for my TT.

I was really disappointed as the TT was sounding fine when i tested but some damage happen during the shipping.

The cartridge is working fine and the Needle only has damaged(bent) to while playing the records getting worse hum:sad:

kINDLY LET ME KNOW WHETHER the cartridge is Magnetic or ceramic, i can find the right info over the google too as i tried over a long time previous day night.

Hi Guru's am looking for a help from you all.Thanks

Hi Audio Freek,

Why don't you try some VFM Carts like AT-95 instead of trying the vintage cart.

Some photos of the headshell would be helpful to give better suggestions.

N.Murali

Hi Murali,

Yep, sure will do it by night, as my friend has good cam to capture the clear shot.
Also anywhere i could find the Dust cover for the TT, I cleaned the TT and its like fresh out from factory (For my eyes) but after the covers on them looking like ugly muddy Kid.

Also i need to see my First TT singing thats it , it could be of any applicable cartridge old or moderate or latest.

in my opinion, if you have to replace anyways, scrap the Philips cart and get an audio technica or shure.

that would make your TT sound even sweeter :)

It will be almost impossible to get a replacement stylus for the Philips cart. Better get a reasonably good Audio Technica or Shure as suggested by Rueben. Cosmic Cogram 4000 mark 2 is an excellent TT with a very nice arm. Can you give details of the damage to the TT in transit ?

Rebum\Mr Jacob Sir,

The TT is Cosgram 4000 ORDINARY and not the MK:indifferent14:

During the transit i suspect that the Needle had hit the board and got some bend in the needle.

Again there is a crack in the Dust cover :sad: , good that its not completely damaged. Also 2/4 as foot rest slightly damaged.

I have attached the picture of the Head shell and stylus.

Kindly suggest which Stylus could be best replace to the Attached one.

Awaiting for some help

Attachments

• Cartridge.jpg
    Cartridge.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
A Classic 700 stylus may fit the cart but not guaranteed to fit nor will it sound as the original. I will not recommend it though. I still feel, it should be replaces by a entry level Audi Technica if you can get one .

yea, I second RP, its a good and value for money cart. However beware of Indian sellers, I've known of some tricksters to have tried to sell this cart for 7k and so on.

A Classic 700 stylus may fit the cart but not guaranteed to fit nor will it sound as the original. I will not recommend it though. I still feel, it should be replaces by a entry level Audi Technica if you can get one .

I tried Classic 700 stylus with Philips EG1400. It is not fitting properly. I would like to try Philips GP400 stylus in EG1400 body. Any comments?. One of my friend telling that the EG1400 is sweet sounding cartridge and it makes shy any today's 100$ cartridges. I have one EG1400 body and like to try...

from my googling, the EG1400 seems to be a nagaoka MM321BE
A technics EPS 270 Series stylus should fit.

PS: try this at your own risk
Technics EPS 52 Generic Stylus for 270D 290C Series Cartridge | eBay
cheapest generic option (i believe this should be a jico)

Now tested.

Technics EPS 270 stylus is not suitable to Philips EG1400 body. The stylus is not fully going inside the body and there is a gap of nearly 2mm between cartridge body and stylus. This results the stylus and body fit is little loose and three is chance of fall. Just played.. sounding nice but very low in sound pressure. May be this is due to bad stylus and body fitting.

Nagaoka MM321B stylus is available in 'pickupnaalden.com'. I may try later and will update.

Hello Greenhorn...nothing to worry. Actually I ordered Jico stylus for Technics EPC 270C body only and meanwhile just tested in Philips EG-1400. Even I am also aware that everywhere selling 270 stylus as replacement for MM321.

Any one tried Tonar stylus? How the quality of Tonar?

my understanding of tonar is that they're a generic replacement brand - they don't manufacture stuff - they just source the stuff from other vendors and slap their branding on it. same as pfanstiehl or evg, so depending on the OEM for that particular stylus model no, the quality may vary

Hi FM's

Due to Love towards Turntables and records,I recently acquired a COSMIC COGRAM 4000 TT and found the cartridge is been not working.The cartridge is Philips EG 1400.Kindly help me to get a replacement cartridge to give life for my TT.

I was really disappointed as the TT was sounding fine when i tested but some damage happen during the shipping.

The cartridge is working fine and the Needle only has damaged(bent) to while playing the records getting worse hum:sad:

kINDLY LET ME KNOW WHETHER the cartridge is Magnetic or ceramic, i can find the right info over the google too as i tried over a long time previous day night.

Hi Guru's am looking for a help from you all.Thanks
You can use Shure N447 stylus with EG 1400, I am using it.

I tried Classic 700 stylus with Philips EG1400. It is not fitting properly. I would like to try Philips GP400 stylus in EG1400 body. Any comments?. One of my friend telling that the EG1400 is sweet sounding cartridge and it makes shy any today's 100$ cartridges. I have one EG1400 body and like to try...
I have Philips Type 15 GA242/01S. I faced the same issue changing from EG1400 to Classic 700 and now for almost 20 years, the Philips Type 15 GA242/01S, 2-Speed Stereo Made in India TT, has been gathering moss and mold.
1. I want to be sure if there is someone who has replaced his Cartridge on Philips Type 15 GA242/01S. Please advise;
2. I also need a Belt for it. Which one would work fine?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back