Hifi system budget-5 lakhs

Anhad

Hi,

Greetings to all the forum members, i am new to the portal and am looking for some much needed guidance from informed members of this forum.
I am a resident of Delhi and am currently looking for a stereo system for approximately 5,00,000 In rs extendable to 5,50,000.
I am leanin towards a pair of floorstanders and an amp setup suitable for the same, my listening taste favors bass heavy music i like to listen to rock and trance but my moods keep on varyin and am not shy to play some bach or rachmaninoff, all my music is either in flac format or on vinyls which i got from my dad.
Area is no restriction as i hav a full floor lyin vacant and i can customise my room accordin to the requirements of the system, i am plannin to dedicate a room for my stereo setup.

Lookin forward for your valuable replies,
Anhad

in delhi, you should visit Lakozy and bass & treble. I got my latest thiel speakers from Bass and Treble. Now I am not getting any sound from one of the tweeters. I am trying to reach Danny but he has been elusive till now since wed. I just hope he is stuck somewhere and not an instance of bad service.
I am sure Ashish from Lakozy would have come to my home till now to look at and fix the problem.

any system you choose... make sure to get your area treated for acoustics. you have a good budget, keep some for the room treatment. it will go a long way...

bass n treble's denny is usually a helpful fellow, but does require some following up to get response. lakozy's Ashish is also a very responsive and patient fellow. I am guessing you are looking for a stereo system... Lyrita Audio's Viren Bakshi is also another great resource for Tube amps and full range speakers. Sound of Music is another source for high end options like Merdian, Avant Garde etc.

I got my latest thiel speakers from Bass and Treble. Now I am not getting any sound from one of the tweeters.

This sort of a thing from a speaker like Thiel was unheard of till 10-15 years back.

Just shows deterioration of manufacturing quality.

Lyrita is a fantastic option if you just stick to Indian/Western vocals and Instrumentals .... reason ... lower bass. For you to take full advantage of the 'full' genre of music, which I guess, you switch off and on, minimum 2-way speakers should be the ones you should look at.

Recently, I got my stereo speakers 'made' from Hari in Mumbai. Those are of the 2-way 'transmission line' design. Selected them because of their inherent strength to produce tight, precise bass and crystal clear midrange. In the mids and bass, it easily beats virtually all names you come across in this Forum. There is a detailed thread on these speakers here.

Yes, there is no brand name involved here, and you can get these state-of-the-art speakers at just a fraction of the cost of its imported counterparts. But, that is something very subjective. What I did find over a period is that, when a person has set aside a particular sum for a procurement, he feels very comfortable to 'spend' that amount for the perceived quality, which, may or may not be present. That person inadvertently gets drawn to the 'ooomphh' value too of possessing a known brand in his living room ... :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your reply

I have been to denny's store, very helpful guy i liked the monitor audio gx200 with an amp combination of belles pre power and a belles integrated.
I tried bryston along with it but the sound was not as lively as i want it to be with d bryston.
The belles pre/power is gonna cost me arnd 3lakhs and the speakers are for 2,35,000.
I was hopin to get other options in the same price range before i go for this setup.
As far as sound of music option, i hav been in touch wid faizal for a long time we are architects so we are in constant need of home theatre solutions for our clients but sadly i am not sure if any of his brands are gonna fit in my budget.
I have a seperate budget for acoustic treatment that will not be a problem right now my main concern is that are the monitor audio good enough for my budget or i can get something better.

BTW denny is not in delhi presently he is in kerela and wud be returnin by the 21st of this month.

I strongly suggest looking into Viren Bakhi's / Lyrita audio's latest development with horns and his tube amps.

7512d1341754980-evening-spent-tweaking-avidyarthys-atl-speakers-horns5.jpg

7510d1341754958-evening-spent-tweaking-avidyarthys-atl-speakers-horns3.jpg

You can probably even customize them to your request.

my listening taste favors bass heavy music i like to listen to rock and trance but my moods keep on varyin and am not shy to play some bach or rachmaninoff, all my music is either in flac format or on vinyls which i got from my dad.

I suggest you go for two systems. Or at least two (pairs of) speakers. No single speaker will do both ends of the duty like you want them to do.

If you are a real basshead, don't ignore the Cerwin Wega suggestion. Alternatively, you can get high end JBL 3-way speakers which will do similar kind of bass, but with an audiophile sound. However, the JBLs may cost 3-4 lacs alone.

For listening to vinyls and other Classical music, you would be very satisfied with Lyrita Audio's products. Do meet Viren Bakshi of Lyrita Audio, if your ratio of Rock and Metal to Classical is even 4:1.

My suggestion of two systems is based on the fact that, no matter how much money you spend, you can't get one system to do everything right. Two systems, both specializing in one area will give you much more than one super expensive system.

However, for two systems, you might have to up your budget a tad bit. But then, you can also build your systems slowly, which will allow you to naturally evolve knowing your preferences.

Given the budget, I would suggest visiting a few forum members who have high quality systems to get a sense of what's possible. You wont get the full spectrum of options available at this price point with any single dealer or even any single city.

Some of the brands I would recommend auditioning are:
Rethm
Lyrita Audio
ATC
Dynaudio
Harbeth
Thiel
Usher
Acoustic Portrait
Blumenhofer

There is a longer list of more mainstream brands like PSB, Dali, Monitor Audio, Mordaunt Short etc

One demo at one dealer is too little listening to decide.

To put things in context, I cycled through 3-4 speakers and heard dozens others (along with a wide variety of electronics) before settling at my current system:
Rethm Saadhana speakers
Rethm Gaanam amplifier
Lampizator level 3 DAC
Godenote Stibbert used as transport
Rethm cables

I listen to a wide variety of music (from metal to western classical and everything in between; some trance/lounge occassionally). To me my system does the things I care about well. That said, what is important to me may not be important to you - hence the need to audition a variety of systems.

"My listening taste favors bass heavy music i like to listen to rock and trance but my moods keep on varyin and am not shy to play some bach or rachmaninoff, all my music is either in flac format or on vinyls which i got from my dad"

The statement made by me above is not really what i wanted to convey, the word bass heavy came out wrong.
My music preference is towords rock but i am not looking for a colored reproduction of sound.
I am pleasantly happy wid the bass response of the monitor audio gx200 but specifically with the belles amp, i tried the same speakers with krell 300i, bryston power/manley labs pre and MF m6i but the best reproduction came from the belles.

You can also give these combos a listen:

1. PSB Synchrony 1 with NAD M2 or NAD C165BEE Pre and C275BEE Power.

2. PSB Synchrony 2 with NAD C165BEE Pre and C 275BEE power or NAD C 375BEE.

The above combos will deliver on all the fronts that you expect from your music without any fatigue, which is the end result of Rock genre on a Bright sounding system.

synchronies are great speakers. they are built very well. the front baffle is a strong aluminium construction. Again, like lyrita, this was my top choice for a speaker that could do justice with both music and home theater, but I did not want to spend that much so I had to settle for thiels. Synchrony has a review on stereophile.

The synchrony one is a great speaker for rock and trance, accurate sound with a organic sounding tweeter, fatigue is not a word to associate with this speaker, neutral enough to show the quality of different mastering in songs., definitely worth an audition for that price range.

i have also heard Viren ji's latest prototype posted in the picture. This system also needs an audition depending on your taste you might love it for rock. Has a certain dynamic, natural ease and realism with voices and instruments particularly, live music sound.

Both Ashish and Viren Ji are gentlemen and will guide you honestly.

Can someone please guide me as to where can i audition a pair of synchrony one speakers in Delhi.

Lakozy Delhi. Audio Nirvana, A-70, Lajpat Nagar-II, New Delhi- 110 024. Tel: 011 4683 8373. Email: [email protected]

Contact FM ashishkesarwani, as he is one of the partners of the Lakozy Delhi Franchisee.

Kindly also update us with your findings on the PSB Synchrony 2 Speakers, as sure would love to hear your views on them. Have recently heard them @ Lakozy, Mumbai.

:)

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back