Hifi system budget-5 lakhs

my suggestion is only for Projector : Go for Epson TW6000 1Lac approx price, want to spend more go for Panasonic 7000. 2Lacs approx.

anhad

If you happen to visit Chandigarh, you are welcome to come and audition my system. No strings attached. If you like it then I may consider offering the system as a whole. Even if you are not completely convinced, you would still have got a general idea of what your budget can buy in the lightly used market. The complete system would be more or less within your budget. It is a good system with great synergy and enough power and refinement to satisfy most audiophiles. All the components are extremely well built and in excellent condition. It took me almost two years of high and lows to put it together.

My advise would be to take it slow and avoid buying anything until you form a good picture in your head about the entire system. Your room is the most important component of your hifi system. You should never lose sight of that central fact. Consider the opinion of forum members (Bhagwan, Dr.Bass, Manav, Sidvee, Dinyaar, Asit, Prem, Rajeev, Stevieboy are a few who immediately come to mind) who have a vast knowledge of two channel audio. Read plenty of reviews, visit/phone dealers like Audio People, A2V, ARN, Absolute Phase, TLR, Cadence, Rethm, Lyrita, Bass & Treble, S&M, Sound & Vision, Lakozy, Pro FX, Designer Audio etc. Keep a budget of at least 30-40K for auditioning. Hang out on Hifivision for a little while and you will find your stairway to (audio) heaven.

Hi Anhad!
The above system is definitely something to look into.

Apart from that, one can also look at the amp and speakers that Jochen Semler of 'The Listening Room, Banaglore' has on offer...

I heard these on a recent trip to Banaglore and found the sound to be very very very good and the price to performance ratio on these was too good!

here is what you can consider:

1. Bluemhoufer Fun 17 speakers; these I heard at TLR in a roughly 600-700 square foot room. And these speakers were just too good with Rock, Blues, Jazz & Classical. we did not have any elctronic music on hand so didn't hear any. But i am quite sure that they'd be just as good with any kind of music you throw at them!

here is a link about it:
Blumenhofer Acoustics' big Fun 17: compact bass horn speaker

For amplification you can look at the Trigon Energy Integrated amp... another superb product from Germany and darned good sound that costs very little in comparison.... the build too is superb!

Here is a link:
Trigon Audio - Elektronik GmbH Kassel: Description

Then for a CDP you can look at the Trigon Recall CD player...

It is a beautifully built machine... very nice build quality. the transport used is a very very good one and it sounds superb... again, it costs much lesser than CDps that use similar components!

here is a link to a review:

6moons audio reviews: Trigon Recall II

the entire package should be well within your budget!

Cheers!

Thank you for your replies and thank you ajay124 for your kind invitation.
I hav a client who has a set of Vienna beethoven concert grand which is powered by a manley lab pre and a mark levinson power.

As much as i like the Viennas they are not for me as they perform wonderfully well with classical and jazz genres, but they lack the wow factor when playin rock and they go a little Cranky when played at higher volumes(keepin in mind my clients room size was sufficiently large measuring 22 by 18).
Vienna's dont seem to be my cup of tea as i am much more inclined towords rock and i like to play my music at higher volume levels.

But nonetheless i appreciate all the help and response i am gettin from this wonderful forum, i was about to pull the trigger for the MA gx200 with belles amp untill i came across the forum. Now i will try and audition as many stereo setups as i can before i make a final purchase.

In order to clarify, i am in need of a set of speakers and an amp only the cd player section is dealt with as my dad gave me his esoteric xo3se which i will be using with my setup.

If your preference is rock music go for zu audio essence with leben. Also you can look at other amps tested by them.

I have seen lot of forums recommending jbl4**** monitors for your music style

Thanks
Venkat

anhad

Personally I don't subscribe to the theory that speakers can sound better with certain genres and less so with others. A good speaker will sound good with all genres and ditto with a bad speaker. In any case the abilities of a speaker to reproduce a particular genre cannot be viewed in isolation. What you hear, when you sit down in your listening chair, is a complex mix of sound influenced by the acoustics of your room and the synergy created by the source, amp, speakers and cables as a team. You can't pin anything down and consider it the defining characteristic of a particular component.

My Vienna Acoustic speakers sound equally good while playing Beethoven, Bhimsen Joshi, Miles Davis, Steely Dan or Jimi Hendrix. I think part of the reason why they may have acquired a 'classical' tag is because we tend to associate the words 'Vienna' and 'Beethoven' with classical music. Human beings tend to link words with particular images and sensations. A subliminal process silently and constantly happening in the dark waters of our subconscious mind. The subliminal stimuli associated with the words 'Vienna' and 'Beethoven' partly influenced my decision to buy the Vienna Acoustics. Happily they are equally at home while playing music recorded at the Weiner Philharmoniker, Birdland or Woodstock.

More than the speakers, I feel the amp is genre specific. Bryston's pre/power amps are perfect for the oozing with heavy bass, thundering drums and extended riffs sound of classic rock. If I was looking for a rock music set up, my first stop (given the opportunity) would be to audition a Bryston pre/power with a Dynaudio Focus or Contour tower speaker.

A recording which sounds sensationally good on my system at 3 'o' clock volumes (a pity, that the glass panes of my listening room start doing a St. Vitus dance :sad: ) :

Tin Pan Alley (AKA Roughest Place In Town) - YouTube

Last edited:
anhad

. The Bryston pre/power amps are perfect for the big sounding, oozing with heavy bass, thundering drums and extended riffs of rock music. If I was looking for a rock music set up, my first stop (given the opportunity) would be to audition a Bryston pre/power with a Dynaudio Focus or Contour tower speaker.

Tin Pan Alley (AKA Roughest Place In Town) - YouTube

I had a totally different experience with bryston amps, i heard the combination with a set of focal be1028's and according to me they are some of the most neutral sounding amps in the market.

Maybe i will take you on your offer and try and visit chandigarh some time next month to have a look at your setup.

Ajay,

Does that mean you are disagreeing with Alan Shaw(Harbeth). Known for his designs, He himself said design characterstics of speaker changes between Rock and Classical music.

How to design a great rock music speaker - Alan Shaw (Harbeth) - SH Forums - Here's the extract from Harbeth forums.

Vikas,

If you are going to look at vienna grand, you should definitely look at Fritz speakers as well especially the carbons(known for reviews).

You get better crossover design and also uses scanspeak drivers

Thanks
Venkat

I am surprised nobody mentioned the Emerald Physics CS series speakers. They come with a digital crossover to correct room specific artifacts. Based on a review of a member they have very good low end grunt. No need for a subwoofer.

Another good candidate for amplification is Accuphase or the Symphony RG. There are members here who use this amplification.

Also remember that there is something called presentation which differs a lot from speaker to speaker. I have a dynaudio bookshelf and it has a forward presentation whereas the Cadence Arita and even the Quad 12L that I auditioned had a relatively laid back presentation. I have a feeling that rock and trance can cause fatigue with a speaker having a forward presentation.

You should also audition the Amphion Aragon2 monitor they are supposed
to have a very fast and dynamic mid-woofer. At you budget one of your aim should be a speaker with deep but fast bass performance maybe something like a Rockport Mira monitor. I have always wondered if someone in the forum has heard this one.

I suggest you go for two systems. Or at least two (pairs of) speakers. No single speaker will do both ends of the duty like you want them to do.

Why not just add a sub?

Personally I don't subscribe to the theory that speakers can sound better with certain genres and less so with others. A good speaker will sound good with all genres and ditto with a bad speaker.

I'd love to agree with you but all my real world experience for both listening and auditioning proves otherwise.

@Anhad - I will also throw these into the mix.

1. KEF Reference Series. Also, the new R series R700 & R900 deserve an audition.
2. Emerald Physics CS2.3 with a Spatial Computer.

musicbee

I'd love to agree with you but all my real world experience for both listening and auditioning proves otherwise.

Even if it true that some speakers only sound good with one or two genres, it would still make sense to look for an all rounder that sounds good with all genre's. There was a time I could not do without my daily dose of 6-12 hours of classic rock. But now I rarely listen to rock or jazz music. Tastes change with time, but you can't keep changing your speaker every time your taste changes.

If I do sell my present system, my only reason for doing so would be to have the pleasure of listening to a good book shelf instead of a good tower. And if I shift to a comparatively lower powered book shelf speaker, then I would also prefer a smaller (probably tube) amp and a smaller room. Change would be the name of the game!

i agree with ajay...

if a speaker is only doing a few genres well, then there is some serious design flaw somewhere....

while, no speaker is perfect to begin with.... a good speaker usually does ALL genres well... or atleast as well as it should...

Why not just add a sub?

Because that will cover only the missing bits in the low end. That need not be the weaker area always.

As we move up the ladder, speakers tend to become specialized. Unless one is set out to build a cost-no-object speaker system, some compromises will have to be made. What compromises will be made is at the discretion of the designer.

There are no perfect speakers, if you are spending in 6 digits (Mahatma Gandhi type notes). Things will start looking better going one digit up, most people wouldn't want to do that though :)

Tastes change with time, but you can't keep changing your speaker every time your taste changes.

Agreed. I started with pop (have all of Madonna, Carpenters, etc.) and then I moved to soft rock and then rock... a while later it was hip hop & rap and now its heavy/thrash metal.

I did find a lot of speakers that do well with most of my genres but one area they lack is bass especially for hip hop (fast, accurate bass). Only the Emerald Physics CS2.3 from what I auditioned fit the bill but it was above my budget.

i agree with ajay...

if a speaker is only doing a few genres well, then there is some serious design flaw somewhere....

while, no speaker is perfect to begin with.... a good speaker usually does ALL genres well... or atleast as well as it should...

Most speakers handle most genres pretty well in the mids. But they still lack in one extreme i.e. either the highs or the lows. I have not found many that handle all 3 perfectly well. Of course its easily fixed with the addition of a sub but that's an additional cost one has to factor in.

2. Emerald Physics CS2.3 with a Spatial Computer.

Or even the CS3 if one wants to avoid bi-amping hassles.

A Spatial Computer would make it a deadly combo. But the OP already has a very fancy Esoteric player so there's no real need for a digital source at this time.

Back