Hifi system budget-5 lakhs

Check out this combination:

Plinius 9200
product_header_9200.jpg

Dynaudio Xeo 5
xeo5black.jpg

Plinius is a good brand but their new 9200 Integrated is a joke next to their earlier 8100/8150/8200.

Drastic change of the house sound. SA100/250 & those mentioned Int amps were very nice & if anyone wants them today will need to look for "used" ones.

A good amp to drive the SFs are via Graaf. Its an all italian teamwork & Graaf is really, really good on the SFs. The GM-13.5B with their GM-100 is a fantastic combo. In a smallish room, even their GM-20 will work wonders.

Audio Research pre/pwr too is wonderful on SFs.

IMO, SFs should be driven with tubes. You can even consider Integrateds from Ayon.

IMHO... Audio Research is a pure deal breaker... I have not liked ANY AR amp... That's just my personal opinion of course... I think they are over priced. and one look under the hood, absolutely disappointing...

Sonics too are just average... not some thing I associate with the prices that they come at....

The Mckintosh amps are a different league, as are the Accuphase... sublime tonality... excellent build... and great value if you get them either ex-demo or pre-owned...

the next in line is Symphinic Line... there is one available in the For Sale section of this forum, and is being sold by a FM who is respected... so a good source to buy from as well...

Last edited:
Hi
I too would stay away from Audio research. Have heard ALL the amps & the Preamps & the dacs. Dac 8 seemed good but was overshadowed by the PD & the JR & the Ref 5 is a good preamp but I can think of half a dozen options at THAT price point that to MY EARS are better options. I totally dislike all the new AR power amps SS or Hybrid.

The above in no way undermines anyone who owns, likes AR or anyone who has suggested AR to partner SF. It is just a personal opinion.

Rgds

Sonus & audio research are owned by one company.
IMO audio is about synergy & many a times I've been surprised by a set up which contain some components which are not to my liking. A lot of people also love a krell & sonus combo.
Again a lot of people on the forum do not like krell for various reasons & i agree that it's not built like it was earlier, but i've seen a few new ones & they are not bad, as for the new audio research's build quality i've not seen the new stuff opened so wont comment.
Build quality may vary form brand to brand but i don't think they are really bad that one must overlook them esp if one like's the sound.
Most brands discussed are available in delhi i guess the op can give it an audition & decide.
All the best.

Hi,

Perhaps one day someone will build a pair of high end , limited edition speaker, which are only meant for playing Beethoven's 9th symphony

The Telefunken O85 was supposedly the only monitoring speaker Herbert von Karajan approved and it is supposedly great for replaying orchestral music.

Telefunken O85 large studio monitor 1

Telefunken O85 large studio monitor 2

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/etf06/telefunken O 85 1.jpg

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/etf06/telefunken.jpg

The speakers came built with their own amps the legendary Telefunken V69 .

25 Watt Lautsprecherverstrker V69 Amplifier Telefunken

Regards
Rajiv

This is advise from a hi-fi Dummy: If you want to know how different genres of music is supposed to sound, just turn on your PC, load win amp and check out the winamp's equalizer pre-sets. What you'll understand that if you go in for very high end stuff, you'll almost never be able to listen to rock the way it should sound. If played with settings ideal for the rock genre, and listened to by an audiophile, the audiophile would say that the sound is too thin because of mids-roll off. If you are in to very high end stuff, designed for natural reproduction, it is unlikely that you'll enjoy your rock. I once listened to a friend's high-end rig which played instrumental jazz fantastically but sounded like someone bashing a tin can when he played metallica. Not too sure if one can use those very high end preamps without tone controls for rock :rolleyes:

"My listening taste favors bass heavy music i like to listen to rock and trance but my moods keep on varyin and am not shy to play some bach or rachmaninoff, all my music is either in flac format or on vinyls which i got from my dad"

The statement made by me above is not really what i wanted to convey, the word bass heavy came out wrong.
My music preference is towords rock but i am not looking for a colored reproduction of sound.
I am pleasantly happy wid the bass response of the monitor audio gx200 but specifically with the belles amp, i tried the same speakers with krell 300i, bryston power/manley labs pre and MF m6i but the best reproduction came from the belles.

Sonus & audio research are owned by one company.
IMO audio is about synergy & many a times I've been surprised by a set up which contain some components which are not to my liking. A lot of people also love a krell & sonus combo.
Again a lot of people on the forum do not like krell for various reasons & i agree that it's not built like it was earlier, but i've seen a few new ones & they are not bad, as for the new audio research's build quality i've not seen the new stuff opened so wont comment.
Build quality may vary form brand to brand but i don't think they are really bad that one must overlook them esp if one like's the sound.
Most brands discussed are available in delhi i guess the op can give it an audition & decide.
All the best.

I would endorse this view. The newer Audio Research are voiced on the SF speakers and will have a natural synergy. It is not worth bypassing this possibility without a listen. Most SF dealers will have a AR amp to audition.

Sir,
These got sold;
Went to Guntur - Rs. 265/- [Packing & Freight included]
Thanks,
Sorry.
Now I have this for sale :-
Tidal Audio Amea Diacera - Signature Black 30mm T & P Diamond & Black Woofer | Monitors | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community
Do get in touch with me - if you are interested
Thanks.
Appreciate all the help from HFV Members;:clapping:

You said these were the best speakers you have heard till date and that you will only sell if you hear anything better...what is the new speaker that you are replacing this with?

You said these were the best speakers you have heard till date and that you will only sell if you hear anything better...what is the new speaker that you are replacing this with?
Hello Panditji !
How are you ?
I am so sorry we never met.
My house was under renovation when you visited & my dCS is Sold.
The TAD too is listed.
I have not found a replacement.
I will only go down stream.
I need to sell some gear - personal reasons.
Will get to use a 'modest' set up now.
Best Regards,

I am doing well Mazher, thank you....will try and meet as and when i am in Mumbai just so that you can share your huge experience in audio with me....our telephonic discussion really helped me and you were right about the Luxman....Best of luck of your new setup and I look forward to your setup as would everyone else be on the forum...

No, u was talking about 13k $ he listed in audiogon :)
100 % right;
My Speaker is listed @ 13,000/- US $'s or Rs. 7/- Lac - Pair - No Stand & Freight Case & Freight included.
It is a Substantial Mark Down from 24/- Lac [Suggested List] - i.e. 70 % Discount.
Hope the TAD finds a good home & appropriate partnering equipment. Fingers are X-ED.
The Only problem I see is that no one wants to spend this kind of money on a Stand Mount Speaker; Besides, it is the only speaker in the world to use this Tweeter - no one else has ever used it - to the best of my limited exposure;;

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back