Home Theater System options with the budget of Rs 75K

meetcoolrocky

Hi,

I am new to this forum. Also i have very little knowledge about home theater systems.

I have auditioned Polk and Wharfedale in Delhi.

I have been given the following 2 quotes from different vendors.

1) Polk Audio

Monitor 50 -- Rs 17000
Monitor 30 -- Rs 9000
CS1 -- Rs 7500
Sub PSW110 -- Rs 10500

2) Wharfedale

Diamond 8.4 -- Rs 16000 Or 9.1 Bookshelf -- Rs 11500
9.DFS Surround -- Rs 10000
9.CS -- Rs 10000
Sub SW150 -- Rs 18000

I was considering to buy the following AV Receivers

1) Denon 1708 -- Rs 25500
2) Marantz 5002 / 4002

My budget is 75K for AV Receivers and Speakers with Sub.
Can you please tell me if the prices being quoted are the market prices as of today just to make sure that i am not being mugged?

Also please recommend me any other speakers and receviers that will fit in my budget.
If you could tell me few reputed dealers i can go to and audition and get better deals that will be great.

Thanks in advance.

Rocky

If you are buying a Denon, buy the 1709. Not the 1708.

(1)
A few days ago I configured the following combination for a friend of mine:

1. Denon 1709 AVR
2. 4 x Polk Monitor 40 bookshelves
3. 1 x CS1 centre channel
4. 1 x PSW 110 sub

PorFx Chennai was able to give the whole set for 70,000 and add free speaker cables and installation. The speaker cables were ProFx brand. What you could do is replace the speaker cables with better cables later on. This will cost you some 3500 for about 50 meters from DAC.

I auditioned the 1709 with the Monitor 40 and they sounded decent with both music and movies. The CS1 were able to pinpoint dialogues precisely even for Indian movies. The surround effects were good, as were the low frequency sounds.

This combination will work well for a room size of up to 250 to 300 square feet.

(2)
The 1709 will also sound good with the Diamonds, but will end up close to 85,000 if not more.

You can go for either combination depending upon your budget.

Cheers

Cheers

Hi friend,
I had been to a dealer in Dwarka, who deals with Wharfdale quite a lot and Quad. Seemed like a pretty sensible person and guided well, he had quoted me similar prices and they were one of the best around.

I think you should go ahead with these prices, but i am not quite sure if you shall get Diamond 8 series now.

brgs

Hi friend,
I had been to a dealer in Dwarka, who deals with Wharfdale quite a lot and Quad. Seemed like a pretty sensible person and guided well, he had quoted me similar prices and they were one of the best around.

I think you should go ahead with these prices, but i am not quite sure if you shall get Diamond 8 series now.

brgs

Hi Siddharth,

Thanks for your advise.
Can you please give me contact information of the dealer you know in Dwarka?

Thanks once again.
Rocky

Hi Rocky,
you are most welcome. Just shared my experience, i found him better than most of the dealers i dealt with.

You can talk to Denny at 99990-16124 & 98991-19196

Best regards

Hi Again,

Thanks for all your replies...

Slight confusion....

One of my friends in US has a Polk Audio and he is pretty much happy with it. He has a RTiA series floor standers RTiA5(front), CSiA4 (Center) and RTiA1 (surrounds).

And now i am torn between the ones above from Polk Audio and Wharfedale 9.5 (Front), 9.CS (center) and 9.1(Surround) Polk Audio setup mentioned above is about 15K more expensive than the Wharfedale setup.

I have auditioned them both but not togather within in a span of two weeks. I kind of liked them both but not sure which one is better.
I don't know what to do... Please advise.

BTW i am planning to buy Marantz 5002 AV Receiver and will add the sub later.

Thanks
Rocky

Last edited:
ooh this is one place where we really can'thelp rocky.....get in your car, head to both the places, listen to them carefully and extensively on the same day, and as close togehter (timewise) as possible.....make notes ....this is very important....notes on particular instruments that you liked, particular explosions that you liked....the sound of a shoe on the floor that you liked...or the sound of a coin falling into a slot machine....and then compare those notes with the next system you listen to....go back to the first one if you need to re-confirm findings.....go back again to the second one to re-re-confirm....this is a big investment.....so spend as much time as possible.....both are great combinations....neither will make you unhappy....now just do this little test, and you'll figure things out for yourself.....

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back