home theater wiring for a new house

snbad

hi,

i recently bought a flat in bangalore, it is still under construction.
the builder asked me if i have any special requirement for wiring.
the first thing that popped in my mind is for home theater,
how can i provision for home theater wiring now, in order to do
that do i have to buy a home theater now itself, or is there any
standard wiring that i can ask the electrician to use, and later
i can hook up any ht system to it, has anyone done this before,
any suggestions are really appreciated.

thanks

The internal wiring of my flat has just been completed. I am no expert but have gone by what has been suggested by knowledgeable members and to the extent of my understanding of their suggestions.

I have made provisions for concealed cabling of my HT System. The actual cables will be pulled through it later after the completion of the flat. The electrical guys run a wire through the pipe which at a later date can be used to pull the AV cables.

The last page of my HT thread where I have put up pictures of the wiring:

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/18994-my-proposed-ht-my-living-room-casual-discussion-5.html

This has been covered in many previous threads, so it may be worth going through some of them to get some ideas. Bottom line is that some conduits can be concealed, but there is a risk that the final position of various equipment may change later-it happened to me!

If you have a layout of the room on which you plan to install the HT, we can advise you on what wiring needs to be done. Look at the following options:

1. Wire the whole house of networking. Provide for Ethernet socket in every room.
3. If you are looking at home automation or carrying of AV signals with a centralised server/STB, you have to draw 3x CAT5/6 cables across all rooms.
3. Get a telephone socket installed in every room. They all need to be wired to a central junction box.

Cheers

My advice is to leave the wiring for the time when you actually make a home theater. The wires can then be concealed in whatever you'll use for sound absorption/diffusion.

Just make sure to have a good power supply line to your intended room.

One of the Simple way for concealed HT -

1. check the TV position and install the electrical, DTH point and network point
2. install the PVC electrical pipeline for 7.1 setup (not to mix with electrical line), cables can be inserted later. Use 1+ inch pipe
3. install the PVC pipe at the bottom of the TV, so that you can use it if you get the floor standers.
4. the DTH point has to be double, if in case you go for DVR
5. install 3+ inch PVC water pipe behind the TV to the AV rack (this is to hide cables passing to TV)

Cabling can be done later, first get the piping done. Make sure the electrician uses 'PVC L' angle at all bends.

Placement of subwoofer ... this is very very important in a HT setup. You have to try placing the subwoofer at various points depending on the shape, size & acoustics of the room to get the best out of it.

Electrical point has to be closer to the place where you decide to keep the subwoofer and a separate piping has to be done for the signal cable ... AVR to SUB.

Cheers

Wiring

Further to the good suggestions offered i will suggest that you visit some forum member's house and see how they have placed the gadgets and how they have done the wiring too because that way you will get a much clearer idea and it will also be better if you use their electrician because he already knows how well to go about and needless to say request the forum member to visit you a few times at the time of laying the wires/cables etc.

This plan is mostly suitable if one is going for the projector based set up.

V.

Sub Woofer

In my case i had arranged several electrical points in my Mini Theater because no way i wanted to use a extension board.

One of the forum member suggested me to move the sub woofer at a other point of the room and i was surprised that the lower frequencies performance improved.

Since i had many electrical points so there was no worry to plug the woofer elsewhere.

V.

Placement of subwoofer ... this is very very important in a HT setup. You have to try placing the subwoofer at various points depending on the shape, size & acoustics of the room to get the best out of it.

Electrical point has to be closer to the place where you decide to keep the subwoofer and a separate piping has to be done for the signal cable ... AVR to SUB.

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back