Home Theatre below 25k - Group Buy

I have tried BD rips (mkvs with DD sound). MP3 and FLAC for music.
As I said earlier I am not expert so my opinion would be that of a novice.

I am no expert either. Nor do I have any great ears for music. I am just looking for good surround and some powerful sound - which as per Vashisht's comment this system is lacking.

Well coming back after auditioning better systems, this one sure feels lacking. I wonder why people think sub in this is good. You activate Audessey thing and there starts some serious bass feedback but that rips apart the overall composition.

If you need quality, just check the direct mode, with all modifications turned off. In stereo sound just push the bass and treble by 2-4db and thats it.

The sub is really really lacking.

The satellites are good enough. I am using my Polk Audio Floorstanders so I didn't bother about them much. The center channel also seems to be lacking the right crossovers but a for a normal listener it won't matter.

I also auditioned a JBL + Yamaha set here in Jalandhar (indicated price 30k) not sure of model numbers but somehow the audio sounded better than 3300.

Which one's did you audition?

The center channel also seems to be lacking the right crossovers but a for a normal listener it won't matter.

Hi Vasishta,

I am back in Gurgaon and still recovering from the sad news of my TV panel being marked for R.I.P. soon.

If you want to plug in the WDTV player and test out any movie sound let me know. Will be glad to help.

As on picking up the HTiB, I am trying to manage some funds today (just came back from a personal emergency) before speaking to the dealer and collecting the set (if readily available - if not, then may be its time to buy a newer flat 29 inch television :lol:)

I'd suggest you to audition few more setuos. Yamaha 392 is better but comes withiut d audio decoding.
Vasishta,

I was all for 292 and 392 (more for 2 way spkrs) but the AVR in 3300 had me inclined towards it. Morever, globally 392 is shipped with an HD capable AVT 465, here in India it is shipped with an older AVR (I totally disliked this packaging policy of Yamaha offering archived models to Indians).

The price for RX-V465 and speakers (say JBL 140) will shoot the budget way beyond 35 K, beyond my wallet's strength. Hence settled for selection between 292 (again with tiny 6 cm sats) and Onkyo 3300 and found 3300 (to my novice ears) performing worth 22K(read VFM).

I have already burnt my fingers with a VFM purchase (LG Plasma 42PQ60) so now re-thinking if "Value For Money" is a real term in consumer electronics.

Well auditioned multiple systems again with a close family friend (he is in a hurry to pick one asap). To my ears again Onkyo was OK.

Again to stress not the best. Tried Marrantz, Sonodyne, Harmon Kardon AVRs and speakers from Jamo and JBL. Visited Bose again (let me not talk about it). In all found Jamo and Sonodyne setup quite impressive at an initial quote of 43K (not the kind of budget I am looking at rt now).

Then had a detailed audition of Yamaha YHT 392 and was not impressed with standard movies but for their "Hotel California" demo. The sound in surround speakers was to feeble and the surround effect in case of a movie was almost non-existent.

At the Onkyo showroom got them to play a regular Hindi DVD (non-pirated) and was happy with the sound (not overwhelmed as in case of the Jamo demo).

Trying to convert my friend also to Onkyo (add him to the group buy list), but he seems to be in a hurry and wants the stuff asap (and has no budget constraints). His hurry even led to a minor tiff among some dealers this weekend :)

OK - advance paid (NEFT initiated - should reflect tomorrow) to the vendor.

Waiting for the set to arrive. Will update once I receive it.

Any of the GGN Hifivision mates from whom I can borrow some 5.1 content for testing once the set arrives?

I'm on for both the offers as well. :)

Let us fix up a time.

I picked up my 3300 as well but am yet to open up the box.

Rayban, guptam,

You seem to have derailed the plan by suggesting a crowded gathering (just kidding) ;) Allow me to get the content first and then we can further distribute it.

As for my HTiB, advance was paid last week and it may be available for delivery next Thursday (16th Dec) instead of 4-7 Dec plan earlier. No worries though, I am in no hurry!

Bought the onkyo 3300 today. Price--23.5k (including complete installation, wall mounting etc). I got it at onkyo wonderland, CR park, New delhi. I first auditioned rhe system there and it sounded good to my ears. But when I tried to connect my dell studio 15 via hdmi to the system i couldn't get any audio from the system. They tried various hdmi wires and even pulled out a complete new avr piece for this but no luck!!! The audio just didn't come. But when the sales guy hooked my laptop to the onkyo-5300 audio came instantly. They were stumped(including me!!) They had no idea why was this happening!!
Anyways I bought the system and quickly connected it on my own(just the front and center speakers) to get a 3.1 config and connected my TS HD to it. The results are pretty good. But I am yet to test my laptop with it and I don't have a dvd/bd player as of now. So I guess I will spend today(and the night) tinkering with the various settings and trying to get my laptop work on it. Will post a brief noob review as soon as I get it completely installed(the installation guys will come on wednesday)

congratulations. Where do you put up?
In my bedroom( if thats what u were asking:D)
I still can't seem to get my laptop working with this system. I hooked it via hdmi to the avr and the avr to the tv via hdmi, but no signal, none at all!!! I don't know whats the problem. SOmebody plz help!!

Not really interested in your bedroom activities. I asked because I live close to (not too close) CR park as well, but I was a part of this group buy as you see. Also I asked because I had called up this dealer and he was not ready to reduce the price from 25k.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back