Home Theatre below 25k - Group Buy

Let me first say that I had ordered a HDMI before all this came up on alok's recommendation. So we can all cool down.

Now for the discussion,

@ontherocks - correct me wherever I am wrong as I am no expert.

you do realise that if I had only POHD, I would have required 2 cables, right? One had to be HDMI (which I had with me )and the other one had to be coaxial/ optical/ HDMI.

Similarly for my DVD player I would require a coaxial right.

So I needed two cables in addition to the HDMI that I already had.
One of them could be optical/ coaxial/ HDMI and the other one had to be coaxial only.

Now if the HDMI is delivered, then wont just getting a coaxial solve my problem?

I understand that it may not be required but if I use 2 HDMI cables, am I compromising on something?

I wonder whats stopping you from connecting the media player via HDMI to the AVR and then using the HDMI output to the TV.

Nothing. As I said I had already ordered and might eventually end up with that only.
BTW you understand that the AVR GUI will appear only when its connected via HDMI to the TV.
No idea. Havent played around much with it. will let you know.

Let me first say that I had ordered a HDMI before all this came up on alok's recommendation. So we can all cool down.

Now for the discussion,

you do realise that if I had only POHD, I would have required 2 cables, right? One had to be HDMI (which I had with me )and the other one had to be coaxial/ optical/ HDMI.

One of them could be optical/ coaxial/ HDMI and the other one had to be coaxial only.

Now if the HDMI is delivered, then wont just getting a coaxial solve my problem?

I understand that it may not be required but if I use 2 HDMI cables, am I compromising on something?
I am not sure if I would like to be a part of this anymore.

Now for the discussion,

No issues.. you just need a coaxial cable for your DVDp now.. :)

here is the link buy online..

eBay India: Digital Coaxial Audio Cable - S/PDIF Dolby Digital 1.5m (item 120647840696 end time 22-Nov-2010 19:13:57 IST)

Alright I got my stuff today, assembled the components and did some configuration. Initial impressions are not very promising. The sound quality is just not cutting it. The worst part is I am not being able to bitstream HD audio over HDMI. No matter what I do, I am getting PCM only.

With all those exciting reviews, I really did a blunder, I got swayed by them and bought this thing.

I've spent more than 3 hours fiddling with my PC and the receiver and I am feeling shameful that I couldn't get the HD audio bitstreaming to work. None of the KMPlayer, GOM PLayer, VLC PLayer, PowerDVD, Arcmedia player could do any good.

I am so very disappointed with this purchase.

My Polk Audio TSi Floorstanders are crying now to get a worthy companion. Bad, I did a real bad matching.

I haven't played around much but I am happy with the performance. Maybe because I.upgraded from scratch.
Sushant, have checked in the manual about HD audio. I think I read that people were able to play master audio and Dolby tru hd on this.

Alright I got my stuff today,
The worst part is I am not being able to bitstream HD audio over HDMI.

I'm surprised. My setup's working fine. I assume by "bitstreaming" you mean sending the raw audio to the amp for decoding. I've got that working, it sounds great, and the Dolby indicators are on.

I realized that the DTS logo does appear when I use any source with DTS HD soundtrack but again I was hoping to see DTS HD or DTS MA on my screen. Seems like there is some downsampling going on.

The normal DTS and DD are only shown as PCM.

Another issue realized by me: If I switch off the AVR while I am watching stuff on my HTPC and then turn the AVR ON again, I find no signal. Even if the PC is working. I am forced to restart the PC. This thing is getting on my nerves.

The next issue is with the pass Through. Can I not watch my stuff that is being routed through the AVR, when the AVR is switched off ?

I've spent more than 3 hours fiddling with my PC and the receiver and I am feeling shameful that I couldn't get the HD audio bitstreaming to work. None of the KMPlayer, GOM PLayer, VLC PLayer, PowerDVD, Arcmedia player could do any good.

Hi Vashishta,

Sorry had been stuck with a personal emergency, I am still out of ggn with no confirmed date of return.

I have read a couple of posts on avsforums where users had successfully streamed HD Audio to the AVR with some specific video cards (not all with hdmi out supported it) and audio cards (optical out) running Power DVD. They had also had successful output using PS3 - have you tried it?

I have WDTV Live we can test on it once I am back. Anyways I am yet to connect, pay and collect my set.

I have auditioned this set thrice and it sounded OK in parallel to YHT 292 and another Yamaha + JBL combo (forgot the exact model number but the combo did score better among 3).

There was a comparison sheet on this forum which indicated that it does.

I do not have any sample files to test it.

How has been your experience with the set so far?

HTiB I meant. I was expecting much more out of it. The Polk Audio floorstanders I have scaled much better with the previous Samsung HT system that I sold.

I now feel I did make haste in buying this one. I should have bought the Yamaha 467 instead and should have added the rest of the speakers later.

Probably most the people who are saying grt things about this one are the ones who are first timers. To me it sure isn't something that stands out. Its not even being able to pull my Polks as they should have been.

I just fall for the price TBH. Not a bad deal in the money we paid but from another perspective those were not the best 22 grands spent.

Probably most the people who are saying grt things about this one are the ones who are first timers. To me it sure isn't something that stands out. Its not even being able to pull my Polks as they should have be
I would fall into that category. I am pretty much satisfied with it. I am yet to explore it fully. But to my novice ears, it does sound good.

Gadgetcrazy,

What formats and content have you tried? Normal DVDs to HD Rips?

How is the power of the system (given the sats are powered with single speakers and are not bi-directional) and surround effect?

I am just waiting to get back and collect mine (if it is still available)

I have tried BD rips (mkvs with DD sound). MP3 and FLAC for music.
As I said earlier I am not expert so my opinion would be that of a novice. Also I haven setup the system optimally thus far with respect to positioning the speakers. In fact I have not even opened the surround speakers.
That will have to wait for a couple of weeks more when I have a little more time.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back