Home Theatre below 25k - Group Buy

Here are the rear pics of TV, POHD, DVD player and STB
55041834.jpg

Two things:
1) An optical cable is costlier than an HDMI cable.
2) You are simply ignoring the fact that there is a multichannel audio (DTS, DD 5.1) as well, other than normal stereo and HD audio.
If the POHD doesn't support the HD Audio, why would the owner be barred of having access to the multichannel audio, at least ?

Seems like you are confusing multichannel with HD audio.

Its like Stereo < 5.1 multichannel (DTS, DD) < HD Audio (DTS MA, DTHD)
You can keep on rambling and arguing, thinking others are fools.
And because you haven't given a thought on gadgetcrazy's situation, you don't have any idea.

Here are the rear pics of TV, POHD, DVD player and STB

Ok. his is how you should connect everything.

Before that
Composite = Red, White & Yellow
Component = Y, Pb, Pr

POHD----HDMI---->TV (HDMI1 IN)
STB----Composite(only Yellow)---->TV (AV1 IN)
DVD Player----Component---->TV (AV2 IN)

POHD----Optical---->AVR (Optical1-Game or Optical2-TV/CD)
STB----Composite(Red & White)---->AVR (Analog TV/CD IN)
DVD Player----Coaxial---->AVR (Coaxial-BD/DVD)

You haven't mentioned whether your POHD supports HD Audio. If not then above connection will give you the full performance, and you don't need another HDMI cable.

Last edited:
So going by the above configuration, I need to get an optical and a coaxial cable
Yes you will need to procure an optical & a coaxial cable, not HDMI. (there is no option to use another HDMI cable in your current setup)

Since my pohd is based on an older chipset, I believe it is incapable of playing HD audio.
So you will have to go with the settings I have suggested.

You can buy the cables online from MX Electronics too. Online prices are higher than what you will get from an MX dealer. (MX Electronics)

Shall order it on your recommendation. Thanks a lot.
Does it have a specifiction? I have read about HDMI 1.3b and 1.4.
I am going to use it with my AVR (Part of HTS Onkyo 3300), PlaonHD and Panasonic 42" C10D plasma.

1.3b is sufficient..
to use 1.4 you need a 3D TV and a 3D blue player..

Yes you will need to procure an optical & a coaxial cable, not HDMI. (there is no option to use another HDMI cable in your current setup)

So you will have to go with the settings I have suggested.

You can buy the cables online from MX Electronics too. Online prices are higher than what you will get from an MX dealer. (MX Electronics)

+1

as long as you don't have multiple sources with HDMI-out, you don't need to feed AVR an HDMI signal..
except for the case when you have a source with HD audio capability.. HD audio can be decoded only on HDMI..

Simply connect POHD directly to your TV's HMDI-in..

get optical/coaxial digital cable for multi-channel audio and feed them to AVR..

Last edited:
And what is or cost effective an HDMI cable or optical / coaxial. Thanks ontherocks for the link.

That question is irrelevant in your case. At present you have no use for another HDMI cable, or in other words you cannot use another HDMI cable in your current setup. You will have to buy one coaxial cable and one optical cable.

If you want to still buy HDMI cable its up to you what you wish to do with it.
As for the price comparison, it cannot be generalized that optical cable is expensive than HDMI or coaxial or blah blah blah.....since there is a plethora of factors that determine the price of any cable.
Have a look at the prices in MX electronics site.

Picked up my system today. Its with a friend from whom I'll collect it tomorrow morning.

And here is little more ILLOGICAL/IRRELEVANT input for you Tanveer.

An HDMI cable can be bought for 150 bucks over ebay (shipping included). An optical cable will set you back with minimum 300 bucks and that too with plastic ends, which will snap off after a while, rendering the cable useless.

I wonder whats stopping you from connecting the media player via HDMI to the AVR and then using the HDMI output to the TV.

BTW you understand that the AVR GUI will appear only when its connected via HDMI to the TV.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back