Home Theatre - which Projector to buy?

Pratters

I am a movie fanatic and would like to watch in 100" or higher. I have a huge movie collection with about 500 DVDs, 1000 AVI files and a few blu-rays which I am increasing.

My brother studies in the US and my friend lives in China. I can get the projector from practically any where in the world.

I like watching movies sitting in the 'middle' in the theatres. Back is too far away and front seats suck for obvious reasons. There is one cinema room I go to to watch movies though where sitting in the front is the best. In short I like to sit as close to the screen as possible while getting a VERY clear view. Clarity of picture is very important.

Money is not an issue with me, quality is. Cheaper would obviously be better though, so you can always give me 1-2 options.

Please help me setup a projector, screen and the works which are needed.

I am in my factory in Mirzapur for 2 months and will go to Kolkata only after 2 months or so. My brother comes back from the US 7th of May and then again in August.

Please help me setup my dream setup for the best movie watching experience possible. :)

Thanks.

What is the bulb life like? Wouldn't a tv be better?

Which screen to buy and can the projector be connected to any dvd player?

What would be better, a projector or a TV?

Hi,

If you're concerned about maintenance, i.e., changing bulbs, then you will have to certainly look at buying a 50" or above Full HD LCD or plasma.

AFAIK, the average span of bulbs in DLP will be 2000-3000 hours, LCD 4000 hours, and probably you will get more if you go for a LED projectors.

Panasonic PTAE4000 is a good projector, you can also look at models in Optoma (HD20) and mitsubishi.

Yes, the projector can be connector to DVD players using HDMI or component video ports.

Cheers!

Another two questions,

1) how will SD avis look on 100" screen as I have A LOT of stuff on SD (avis).

2) Which screen to purchase and from where? (is a screen needed at all if there is a white wall big enough?) I am looking at a 100-200" screen.

Hello Pratyush,

In view to your collections and passion for movies, it is a wise choice to go for a projector, you can easily get the desired screen size and for that matter even more. To get bigger the screen, the room length also should match therefore it is important to know your exact room size.

I think it is a myth that watching movies from the back seat is not a pleasure. In projectors the clarity is not a issue unless you are using decent quality of hardware.

V.

I am a movie fanatic and would like to watch in 100" or higher. I have a huge movie collection with about 500 DVDs, 1000 AVI files and a few blu-rays which I am increasing.

My brother studies in the US and my friend lives in China. I can get the projector from practically any where in the world.

I like watching movies sitting in the 'middle' in the theatres. Back is too far away and front seats suck for obvious reasons. There is one cinema room I go to to watch movies though where sitting in the front is the best. In short I like to sit as close to the screen as possible while getting a VERY clear view. Clarity of picture is very important.

Money is not an issue with me, quality is. Cheaper would obviously be better though, so you can always give me 1-2 options.

Please help me setup a projector, screen and the works which are needed.

I am in my factory in Mirzapur for 2 months and will go to Kolkata only after 2 months or so. My brother comes back from the US 7th of May and then again in August.

Please help me setup my dream setup for the best movie watching experience possible. :)

Thanks.

Hi,

If you're concerned about maintenance, i.e., changing bulbs, then you will have to certainly look at buying a 50" or above Full HD LCD or plasma.

AFAIK, the average span of bulbs in DLP will be 2000-3000 hours, LCD 4000 hours, and probably you will get more if you go for a LED projectors.

Panasonic PTAE4000 is a good projector, you can also look at models in Optoma (HD20) and mitsubishi.

Yes, the projector can be connector to DVD players using HDMI or component video ports.

Cheers!

Bulb Life isn't a problem. Ill watch 2 hours per day max. So this will last me more than 4 years which would be about the right time to buy a new machine or a fair time to change bulb.

I am tending towards Epson 8500-UB as it looks the best bet. Best reviewed every where.

Now to the screen part. Should I buy the screen from India or the US? Is a 100-200" screen available in India?

Thanks all for replying to my queries. This forum rocks.

The bulb life is generally 2500 to 4000 hours, which shall mean that approximately you can see 1200 Hindi movies or you can say 2000 English movies. The replacement bulb cost is about Rs.15,000/-. In view to this it shall mean that the cost per movie is not much compared to the mega entertainment returns you get in return.

There are projectors with bulb life of 20,000 hours and above, the picture quality for avi files is okay but the more you spend better the quality you can get with more features.

V.

What is the bulb life like?

I think it is better to purchase the screen from here only, there are various brands available to get the wall painted for screen is not a good idea but some members have done so because they prefer it that way, so you have to take a call. To have 200 inches screen in a house is possibile only in the dreams so please stay put with lower inches of 100 or so.

Please be guided that you have to consider many things before you buy a projector or screen among them being is your room size fair enough, the choice of 5.1 speakers, acoustics, are there too many windows in the room etc?

V.

Which screen to purchase and from where? (is a screen needed at all if there is a white wall big enough?) I am looking at a 100-200" screen.

I am not buying the screen from abroad then.

Buying -

1. 8500 projector
2. Ceiling Mount

On gtalk with brother and emailing him the details. Will have to go to Calcutta for 2-3 days to set this thing up and see when he arrives on the 7th leaving my factory! :D So excited.

Is the screen foldable? Else how will he be able to bring it? If it is, I'll buy the screen as well....

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back