How To Clean Important Parts of a Deck

jay

Hi,

Can you all please suggest the best possible ways of cleaning the Head and Pinch Rollers.Nowadays head cleaners are not available.Some people suggested me spirit which is used while giving injections.

Please suggest.

Hi,

Can you all please suggest the best possible ways of cleaning the Head and Pinch Rollers.Nowadays head cleaners are not available.Some people suggested me spirit which is used while giving injections.

Please suggest.

For dusting, a soft bristled brush would do (Good quality painting brush). IP can be used to clean pcb and metal parts. For shaft, pinch roller and heads, head cleaning fluid would do the job. Use a soft cloth for that (Eyewear cleaning cloth)

Hi,

Please suggest.

Very pertinent question, especially for a first time cassette deck user. Use a soft dry cloth shine up the exterior of your deck. Use a common ear bud which is dampened in warm distilled water for cleaning the R/P head, Erase head and capstan. If you have severely clogged heads and capstan, a tinge of isopropyl alcohol can be added to the distilled water. Never use anything alcoholic like isopropyl alcohol on the plastic parts and also on the rubber pinch roller. The Pinch roller can be cleaned using a earbud dampened in warm distilled water. A common mistake made is to let the heads, capstan and pinch roller get clogged severely and then clean, never let this happen. Make it a point to gently clean, say once every 5 tapes or so. Clean gentle, don't apply pressure. Dispose ear buds once they are used, use a fresh one everytime you clean.

Last edited:
Use a common ear bud which is dampened in warm distilled water for cleaning the R/P head, Erase head and capstan. If you use have severely clogged heads and capstan, a tinge of isopropyl alcohol can be added to the distilled water.

I didn't know that water can be used on heads..cool

I didn't know that water can be used on heads..cool

Yes, luke warm distilled water can be used, its extremely safe. However this method cannot be used to clean severely clogged heads, capstan or pinch rollers. Also don't use dripping ear buds, just damp ones.

I'd suggest water for the pinch roller and alcohol for the head if you are *that* worried. I tend to end up using alcohol for everything. Alcohol makes the rubber in pinch rollers brittle in the long term, and water, if you dont dry it perfectly, the humidity will caused increased wear with ferric oxide (normal) tapes.

Very pertinent question, especially for a first time cassette deck user. Use a soft dry cloth shine up the exterior of your deck. Use a common ear bud which is dampened in warm distilled water for cleaning the R/P head, Erase head and capstan. If you have severely clogged heads and capstan, a tinge of isopropyl alcohol can be added to the distilled water. Never use anything alcoholic like isopropyl alcohol on the plastic parts and also on the rubber pinch roller. The Pinch roller can be cleaned using a earbud dampened in warm distilled water. A common mistake made is to let the heads, capstan and pinch roller get clogged severely and then clean, never let this happen. Make it a point to gently clean, say once every 5 tapes or so. Clean gentle, don't apply pressure. Dispose ear buds once they are used, use a fresh one everytime you clean.

What about the spirit used before taking injections? Can that be used to clean Heads and Pinch Rollers with soft cotton cloth?

A common mistake made is to let the heads, capstan and pinch roller get clogged severely and then clean, never let this happen.

What do you mean by clogged severely? Do you mean to say over use of tapes without cleaning resulting in sedimentation?

Any metal parts, electronic connectors, you need to clean with isopropyl alcohol, 93% and above. If you use water, it will start the oxidation process. You need something which will dry out faster.

Rubber parts - yes, use water. Don't soak it though. If you use alcohol then the rubber part hardens.

What do you mean by clogged severely? Do you mean to say over use of tapes without cleaning resulting in sedimentation?

can happen 3 ways, (1) you don't clean over a long period of time, (2) you play an old tape with severe oxide fall, (3) you plan an old fungus ridden tape

Any metal parts, electronic connectors, you need to clean with isopropyl alcohol, 93% and above. If you use water, it will start the oxidation process. You need something which will dry out faster.

Rubber parts - yes, use water. Don't soak it though. If you use alcohol then the rubber part hardens.

Yes, one must use a dry cotton bud and lightly wipe any water residue away. Theory is one thing but we've been cleaning the head of our family deck since the late 70s this way and it still plays :yahoo:

Yes, one must use a dry cotton bud and lightly wipe any water residue away. Theory is one thing but we've been cleaning the head of our family deck since the late 70s this way and it still plays :yahoo:

Well, we can call it theory. But heat, humidity and dirt are the three biggest enemies of electronics. Why introduce one directly to the most delicate and important part of a cassette deck? Besides, water does not dry out faster and may attract dust. It's all theory again, but better to be safe than sorry. ;)

I have seen people cleaning roller, shaft and heads with saliva soaked cloth or bud and then rubbing with a dry cloth or bud. Is saliva a good choice (if not dirty :p)

Can't say, but saliva is mostly water. It will be like using as water.

Is saliva a good choice
Though mostly water, saliva contains among other things, electrolytes, enzymes and mucous, both of which are proteinous. These would be detrimental to the rubber and tape heads, theoretically speaking.
What about using spirits used while pushing injections?
It is denatured ethyl alcohol and similar in effect to other alcohols mentioned. What we used to get commercially labelled as roller and tape head cleaners is Carbon tetra chloride.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back