How to sound proofing a Existing room

ashok281260

hey all,

I want to do a sound Proofing for my HT so that i dont get complaints from neighbours.

Room size is 19*16

For sound absorbing, i have wardrobe on one side(which i keep open) & curtain on the other side with a Convertible Bed in the centre & wooden flooring with some false ceiling.

Main objective - I have one French window of UPVC (normal) & there are two doors that i want to seal. whats the best option for this? the sound is travelling out of UPVC window at the moment.

I have Cerwin Vega SL15 & onkyo 606.

Thanks
Ashok

Had a similar issue and have used a industrial grade plastic roll to "sound proof". You find such sheets in goods entry passages in Industries where they are stacked together as long cut pieces. I have used the full roll as it is.
Basically I had my sitting room which opens into the hall through a open doorway and have used this sheet as a "roll down" feature to isolate to best possible extent Music only to the sitting room. The drop down roll then covers the open doorway....

I want to do a sound Proofing for my HT so that i dont get complaints from neighbours

:thumbsup::thumbsup: for being a considerate neighbor !

I must confess I am watching this thread at least partly because I am at the receiving end of a sub in my apartment.

The issue is not with the sound itself, who ever it is playing that is considerate to keep his windows/ doors closed - like I do when I listen to my music.

The bass however travels through the concrete on the floor and also through the walls.

It drives me nuts. It cause me froth and fume. That is apparently very funny to the cohabitant and the son, who claim they are not bothered and do not even notice. To me it is like someone is punching me with fist through my ear canal.

I am planning to get isolate (which I know of only through fb's suggested ads, was actually going to ask here at some point).

I suspect the solutions are going to be to get rid of spikes and use something to isolate - to reduce the floor being coupled to your sub but I think the rumbling of a space ship or an exploding volcano will still make it out of your ht through your sub and then travel to your neighbors house through the walls. The only solution may be lower volumes or negotiated timings or something.

ciao
gr

Sound proofing is quite a different beast than sound absorption. If you are living in an apartment a hinge fitted flexible engineered wood floor would help with the low frequency isolation.

For the original poster, a two inch thick close cell foam sheet (the kind used for packaging sometimes as an alternative to thermocol) would help. In your case most of the sound is escaping from the doors and windows. You need to clove hem with door shutters from the inside. Just a wooden frame with the hard foam sheet mentioned above would do the trick. Just make sure that all the air gaps are sealed with rubber adhesive. You can put self sticking rubber strips where the shutters touch the wall when closed.

mdV3fmcZeca0-jLe2wirpZw.jpg
41onurjR5AL._SX466_.jpg

Having double layer of glass (with 1 inch space in between), instead of a single sheet is useful when you cannot do anything else. Thick cotton curtains with a lot of folds help in absorbtion as well as isolation.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Sharad

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, it is practically impossible to completely sound proof a room, unless it was planned during construction stage itself. It is usually the low bass frequencies that travels to the other rooms. And the sound isolation like subdude, etc might not completely eliminate sound from travelling outside. I read a report where someone measured the noise levels using a proper mic, and concluded that these subwoofer isolation systems didn't provide any benefit in reducing the noise outside the room. If you are not too keen about low bass, try turning off your subwoofer and checking if the noise is still travelling outside. This might be a simple solution, but comes with a 'cost' of you missing out on the low bass experience.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back