how to upgrade hdd of airtell hd dvr

maxim33

hallo friends, i am using airtell hd dvr with 320 gb hdd since last 3 years. i want some help about hdd upgradation. iwant to use a 1 tb hdd instead of native 320gb hdd in my dvr. what procedure shuld i do. afew years ago a thread about that was live on a dth forum but now ,that website is down so i am unable to find that procedure. i request all senir members to guide me . thanks .:sad:

Maybe you can ask an Airtel technician ?He will know for sure.

You can try by making a duplicate copy of what's on the original drive on to a larger fresh ( or clean ) drive and see if the new drive works. But it may not be that simple !
Did you try searching using Google ?

Edit: I searched on Google just now. I couldn't see any mention of increasing drive size ! There must be something somewhere. I did think about this sometime ago but never checked it out. My drive is perpetually full !

Last edited:
Yes take original drive out and copy its image using Ghost or some other imaging solution. Deploy that disk image into new drive. If new drive is detected through your DVR then it would certainly start working. This means new hardware is identified by DVR and it's firmware supports that HDD. Otherwise old drive is there as is where is, no issues.

I remember reading about something like this for Tatasky some years back when the HDD was of 160 GB and the poster had fitted a 500 GB or 1 TB HDD, I can't remember which.
That was the limit of the HDD size that the STB software would accept. The formatting needed to be in FAT32. The actual replacement job was pretty straightforward.
I am also pretty certain any Airtel technician will be able to do it.

thanks everybody, there was a thread regarding that issue in "saveondish.com", where some authors like nairrk, jenius-jatt, deepak etc. posted the methode, but the site is now dead so i am clueless about it . in that methode they used ACRONIS true image home for cloaning and backup.

thanks everybody, there was a thread regarding that issue in "saveondish.com", where some authors like nairrk, jenius-jatt, deepak etc. posted the methode, but the site is now dead so i am clueless about it . in that methode they used ACRONIS true image home for cloaning and backup.

Found the thread I was referring to. Unfortunately, the photos are no longer available. But, possibly you can figure it out.

I checked the waybackmachine.org also . This is what I found. It's a later post from the one you mentioned....

".....Alright tried to get a 5 minute recording off the HDD and I couldnt copy the files !

In the above screen shot the recorded file is stream.str ! all other files in the above screen shot copied except stream.str , this was a 6 minute recording and the file size was 122 MB .
I couldnt open this file with any of the media players either....

Some sort of write protection!

So looks like if you want to upgrade you just cannot get a new HDD and add it you will mostly have to first use norton ghost and ghost the original HDD to the new HDD then it may work (planning this experiment for next week.

I did try connecting my 120 GBG hdd and when I switch on STB no channles showed up.

So hold on for the next few days ill try to see what exactly we would need to do to upgrade the HDDs and copy recorded content.

Upgrading HDD may work but copying the recorded content may not !
R15: Need to copy/transfer saved videos/movies - DBSTalk.Com

Frojm a user on the above site ".STR files are encrypted on the hard drive, and the only way to de-crypt them is with the original DVR and access card they were recorded on. There is absolutely no way to retrieve or recover them as a computer file"

India's Premier Food and Drink Forum "

HERE is another link:
http://broadbandforum.co/threads/ta...e-inside-with-photos.28688/page-9#post-319504
Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPHV2pdUeSI#t=60 ( may be helpful for experimentation !)

Last edited:
thanks all for reply. in that above mentioned thread they copied some folders of stb software only to new harddrive ., i have forgotten which was that .

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back