HT Setup, 1.5 L Budget.. Confused !! Plz Help !!

harshsharma6

Hello Gents,

I live in Mumbai and am planning to get my first real HT setup. I started looking at Bose and then JBL. There are a lot of options out there and it gets really confusing for somebody like me who has limited knowledge about this stuff.

Here's what I thought could be best. Please comment and suggest options.. The budget is 1.5 - 2.0 L.

Harman Kardon AVR 365
JBL ES 100 (Floorstanding)
JBL ES25C (Center)
JBL ES 250PW (Active subwoofer)
JBL ES 10 (surround)

Thanks for the help,
Harsh.

Hi Harsh,
A few things in the post will go a long way to help you choose the system your ears will like best.
1. Specification/ dimension of the listening area.
2. Usage - movies..music..games
3. If music heavy - type of music you listen to
4. If your budget also incls amp/receiver.
And then suggest must give a patient search to the forum, believe most of the doubts will get cleared. And finally must start auditioning few chosen. Ultimately your ears have to like the setup.
Cheers...

Much better products available in your budget. Search the forum , many threads here with same subject line .... (L budget) :)

Hi Awaneesh,

Some more info:

1.) I intend to put it in my living room, 15 ft x 10 ft
2.) Usage : Movies 30%, Music 40% , Games 30%
3.) Most of the music that I listen to is Rock, also hip hop / R&B
4.) The budget includes the receiver

I have been auditioning a few systems lately, tonight's going to be wharfedale. Let's see..

Keep posting.

Cheers..

Hello Gents,

I live in Mumbai and am planning to get my first real HT setup. I started looking at Bose and then JBL. There are a lot of options out there and it gets really confusing for somebody like me who has limited knowledge about this stuff.

Here's what I thought could be best. Please comment and suggest options.. The budget is 1.5 - 2.0 L.

Harman Kardon AVR 365
JBL ES 100 (Floorstanding)
JBL ES25C (Center)
JBL ES 250PW (Active subwoofer)
JBL ES 10 (surround)

Thanks for the help,
Harsh.

Hi Harsh,

getting a good HT system is rewarding and yet extremely confusing and time consuming, so have a lot of patience. I'm glad you have a decent budget to start with and I'm even more glad you have dismissed BOSE..........would not even want to mention it amongst other audiophile names.

you need to go with a good receiver like denon/marantz and then pair it up with a good 5.1 speaker system. If you have space, I suggest go for towers or else satellite/bookshelf speakers will also suffice.

Some of the big names you can demo are wharfedale, polk audio, mordaunt short, tannoy, B&W, KEF, Klipsch. Please spend a lot of time and get a good demo. Listen to various diff types of content, movies and music.

If budget permits, you could get a really good powered subwoofer going down to 25Hz to match your 5.1 floorstanding system. Some of the good names are velodyne, B&W, BIC, polk audio, HSU, and my favourite REL Acoustics (king of subwoofers).

all the best!!!

For 1-1.5 lakhs
you can do a lot better than the Harmon Kardon and Jbl setup you mentioned

In a 10x15 room , floorstanders are a serius overkill, look at bookshelves instead.

Audition, Audition, Audition . look at various options .there are a lot of fantastic products in your price band that will blow away the HK Jbl setup you mentioned

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I see the point when you say it's a small room for floorstanders, but I've always kinda wanted to buy those. I'll try and persuade myself, not to buy them.. Let's see.

Another question, do you feel that all the different bits and bobs will sound the best only when used with equipment of the same brand / series ??

I may go and audition B&W today. This really is far more complicated than it looks like when you see a big setup at a friend's party !!

Cheers..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back