Hum from DacMagic - Need help

madbullram

Guys,
Just landed from US and was so looking forward to listen my system. Connected the DM and instant hummmm...very loud and clear. First thought may be some ICs or the Receiver. Removed all and checked one by one.

The hum is audible even if the DM is not connected to power. Amp is ultra silent with all other inputs.

Any ideas or help who can help in chennai? I am thinking may be its a capacitor :sad::sad::sad:

Earth is not a problem, bcos all other equipments work fine. Also, to be double sure, went to a friends house and checked...even there can hear the hum loud and clear and SQ is sad :(

Guys,
Just landed from US and was so looking forward to listen my system. Connected the DM and instant hummmm...very loud and clear. First thought may be some ICs or the Receiver. Removed all and checked one by one.

The hum is audible even if the DM is not connected to power. Amp is ultra silent with all other inputs.

Any ideas or help who can help in chennai? I am thinking may be its a capacitor :sad::sad::sad:

If you hear the hum from the speaker, it coudl be a ground loop issue or a loose cap on the board. Have you tried connecting the DAC to a different ciruit (use an extension chord).

Spi: The Dac was performing well never had a problem. Even during the shoot out it was fine. This problem just started.

Mars: Even if I dont connect the Dac to power I can hear the hum from the speaker. I even did the test in my friends house, same result

It could be a result of dry soldering in the circuit board of your DAC, try getting it rectified from a qualified technician. Any TV or Radio Mechanic should be able to help you out in this regard.

Humm is also caused by low voltage! Check with multimeter what voltage is supplied, then connect with a stabilizer and see. I had similar problem with my amp and i was thing about all sorts of causes!

Ram - welcome back to the homeland. Is the hum still there? The DAC performed very well indeed during the shootout.

Thanks AE for all the help. I will keep you posted of the prrogress. Once this is fixed, the upgrade will start. Level 1 first and then the OPAMPs :)

Update: Tried 10times not able to download :( always gets stuck at 60-70%

Last edited:
$hit!! sending you by email & deleting the upload as dont want others to pull this down.... :eek:hyeah:

Just a tad too late, I suppose. :D BTW, if MBR's DAC is the one that was used in the last GTG, I think it is the original DacMagic. The manual you had uploaded says 'DacMagic II'... :confused:

Guys,

hi MBR,

the wait for the answer is agonising! - i have my eyes on this thread 6 times a day - many days now - have stopped eating - wife and parents are anxious - please, please - grief is locked in a frozen frame and the heart feels heavy - and my hand reaches for the phial of hemlock-

but, have you found the cause and solution?:)

my hand reaches for the phial of hemlock
Single malt or blended hemlock?

hehehe - kamal!

true and sure unblended conium!

and -

MY heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:

regds

sure - just trying to numb my agony - and will not bottoms-up the phial if somebody is quick to relieve MBR's pain. - this empathy thing really kills you!!!:)

Last edited:
hi MBR,

the wait for the answer is agonising! - i have my eyes on this thread 6 times a day - many days now - have stopped eating - wife and parents are anxious - please, please - grief is locked in a frozen frame and the heart feels heavy - and my hand reaches for the phial of hemlock-

but, have you found the cause and solution?:)

I think the DAC is humming to itself ... :rolleyes:

cheers

I think the DAC is humming to itself ... :rolleyes:

cheers

hi gobble -

but why now? - it was well behaved in chennai - it became bad-boy after going to one of the united states -

regds

whoops - that got me thinking - could the dac have been subjected to near zero degree C temperatures in the aircraft luggage hold - and could this have damaged the solder/electronic components?

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back