Hypex Universal Class D(UcD) build coming up soon

If one looks at the image on the extreme right, the two components on the left are the R Core trafo and the soft start board with blue and red components), and on the right the power supply board, and the mounting plate with the five Class D amp modules.

Fantastic build! Where did you source the chassis from? Also, any reason why you went for an R-core instead of a toroid or an EI-core?

Nice looking cabinet George, professionally done.

The wires carrying delicate input signals would be running close to the trafo, with only the soft start module physically separating them. I don't know the pattern of EM radiation of an R core trafo but an EI Core trafo would've induced some EM into those cables which would degrade the original signals.

Thanks!

I'll take some more pictures as we go along. R Core was recommended to me by a friend as better than the toroidals that I have used in the past, so I thought i would give it a shot and see how it performs. Chassis is from a local mfr, who is doing this as a hobby but in reality makes SPMs(sl purpose machines) for high tech buyers like ISRO. The front and back panels are detachable. The signal wires will run along the rear of the enclosure

Wow - that is really neat. The RCAs could have been moved a bit away
from the power inlet.

Where did you source the other hardware (RCA etc) and the
R-core from?

Thanks. R Core from your backyard-Suresh Hebbar, RCAs and binding posts from Partsconnexion,Canada, (once used, at a fraction of list price), IEC chassis mount, fuseholder, on-off switch and LED from SP Road, Bangalore

At long last got it completed and it's now ready and fired up(yesterday). I will listen to it extensively over the course of the next month and comment. I plan to commission the preamp pro and the new HD projector next month after completing all the cabling work.

I connected it up to my Fostex FRs today morning,to listen to a ss digital amp for some time-quite different to my usual diet of valve amps. The source is a Squeezebox Box Duet, and since it has digital volume control, so I havent connected a preamp.

Initial impressions are very very good. I will allow listen to it as extensively as possible, in an attempt to allow all the components to break in fully. Listening now to ABBA Gold, and it's a bit different from the Class A 2A3 that I have been listening to using the same speakers.

I also listened to Bela Fleck, Allison Moorer,Blood Sweat & Tears and Gloria Estefan earlier, bass is nice,detail is good. All in all, it does live up to the high user reviews that drove me to buy and build this amp.

So far only positive vibes!

I also opened up a new toy yesterday,an Anthem1 EL 34 power amp that I bought recently. Excellent build quality, I have to wire it up and connect it to my Grounded Grid pre when I have the time. I'm quite looking forward to it. I'll post some pictures of these when I can. I seem to have misplaced my card reader, so even if I take pictures, accessing them is a problem, since my camera data cable has also gone missing.

Thanks!

I am getting a card reader today from SP Road, so should be able to take some pictures soon. Acoustic Alchemy, playing now, is sounding very nice, lots of detail, highs are sounding nice.

Also, when you have the time, could you hook it up to your MTM's and compare the sound vis-a-vis the Fostexes please?

The MTM Scanspeaks are going to take many moons to complete. I have a couple of other speakers that I plan to hook it up to-one is an MTM using Focals and Raven tweeters and another is a 2 way using Scanspeaks. Will post my impressions.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back