Hypex Universal Class D(UcD) build coming up soon

GeorgeO

I plan to build a 5 channel amp using these modules, from Hypex. Since these didnt reach me before I left the US, someone is bringing them across next month. The components are a power supply board with a bank of 10 caps ( 10,000MFs), a soft start module, a toroidal, 5 amp modules, a chassis, cabling, and hardware/connectors etc. Estimated cost is around $1000-1200, a fraction of what a commercial product delivering this kind of performance is available.

The UcD mods are supposedly very high quality digital amps, see here:

Believe the Hypex, class-D DIY amplifier - UcD, universal class-D

Attachments

• IMG00140-20100715-2144.jpg
    IMG00140-20100715-2144.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 318
I plan to build a 5 channel amp using these modules, from Hypex. Since these didnt reach me before I left the US, someone is bringing them across next month. The components are a power supply board with a bank of 10 caps ( 10,000MFs), a soft start module, a toroidal, 5 amp modules, a chassis, cabling, and hardware/connectors etc. Estimated cost is around $1000-1200, a fraction of what a commercial product delivering this kind of performance is available.

The UcD mods are supposedly very high quality digital amps, see here:

Believe the Hypex, class-D DIY amplifier - UcD, universal class-D

hi GeorgeO-

congratulations ! - roll up your sleeves - when you get them -

and let us know how it performs!

regds suri

These guys have some proprietary technology because of which, these amps can take different speaker loads. Others, for example, Class D Audio can only drive 8 ohm loads. AFAIK, only his CDA 254 model is capable of driving a 4 ohm load.

Ofcourse, I believe they sound the best amongst all Class D chips.

I've got all of the bits and pieces in my hands and am initially planning to order the transformer. If there is someone who has a camera( unfortunately my last digital camera got swiped from checked in Baggage on a recent overseas trip and I havent yet replaced it) and can spare some time, I would be happy to post pictures of all the components, prior to starting the build. Any volunteers?

The parts are the UcD 189 ampmodules, the custom cables, the power supply board, the mounting plate and the soft start. These have to wired to a tranny and connectors, all in a suitable enclosure.

Good.. This build is gonna be interesting...Especially if a comparison (at least theoretical) with Emotiva XPA-5/UPA-5 is in order

Subscribed!!!

OFF-TOPIC: UPA-5 is just $399 now.

Good.. This build is gonna be interesting...Especially if a comparison is in order with Emotiva XPA-5/UPA-5

Subscribed!!!

OFF-TOPIC: UPA-5 is just $399 now.
George achayo, congrats, looking forward for your role as a "strict mod":)

Both the UPA-5 and XPA-5 are based on the same boards, so their sound signature is same except the power difference (as per emotiva) and w/ spooky saving offer UPA-5 is 399 + free shipping.

Last edited:
George,

Congrats. Will be following this very keenly. Please post us the developments.

Cheers.
Anil

I don't know the specs of the Emotiva, this one is 100wpc@ 8 ohms but according to reports is an excellent amp. Maybe I can cart it across to Subhash's place after it is done and we can do a group audition?

I'll post pictures of the components as soon as I can.

Spec sheet for Emotiva (from emotiva.com)

* Number of Channels: 5
* Amplifier Gain: 32db
* Signal to Noise Ratio 1 watt: >119db Full Power: >116db
* Input Impedance: 23.5kohms
* Transformer Size: 600VA
* Secondary capacitance: 90,000uF
* Output Devices: 4 per channel
* Size: 17 W x 7.75 H x 19 D

* Topology: Fully Discrete, Dual Differential, High Current, Short Signal Path Class A/B
* Power output (all channels driven): 185 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD) 125 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)
* Power Band Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05db deviation at rated power
* Broadband Frequency Response (?3db): 5Hz to 150kHz

* Fully protected from all fault conditions
* Advanced microprocessor operating system
* Soft start circuitry
* External trigger turn on
* Soft touch power switch
* 4RU chassis w/ solid milled aluminum faceplate
* IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC auto configurable
* Output design: Triple Darlington with On output stages
* Type of outputs: Audiophile quality 5 way binding post
* Display type: Digital status indicators
* 1% resistors, precision film capacitors in all critical signal paths
* Modular channel design for greater channel separation, auto rail detection relays for automatic voltage selection.
* On/Off LED Status Switch

* Weight: 58 lbs (71 lbs boxed)

I think we cannot compare this with Subash's amp, it is XPA-1 monoblocks and it may show a great difference. I think UPA-5 will be ideal, do any one in Bangalore is having UPA-5 / UPA-7?

Ok so comparing it to a similar amp makes better sense, I agree. The power supply board has 100,0000 uF capacitance for 5 channels, two 10K Panasonic TSHA caps per module. The Panasonic TSHAs are very high quality long-life high ripple current capacitors. The tranny that I am looking at is likely to be 500VA-630 was described as overkill.

Images one is of the UcD module with the custom mounting plate on which upto 5 modules can be mounted.The second image is of the soft start module, the power supply board with 20 caps mounted on it and the custom cables for connecting, and the third image is of the 5 UcD modules in their boxes.

In case anyone has any question please feel free to ask.At this time I plan to start looking at transformer and options and will update this thread when I have something to report. I need to get 5 sets of RCAs for signal input and 5 sets of binding posts for audio out. If anyone can point me to a good source I'd appreciate the input.

If you are not looking for fancy ones (Cardas/Be-Cu etc), I posted
some links to MX RCA and binding posts in Linuxguru's Myref thread.
I am sure you should be able to get them on SP Rd.

In case anyone has any question please feel free to ask.At this time I plan to start looking at transformer and options and will update this thread when I have something to report. I need to get 5 sets of RCAs for signal input and 5 sets of binding posts for audio out. If anyone can point me to a good source I'd appreciate the input.

CMC is apparently a good option if you're not ebay-phobic. They have a wide range of choices and most of them are pure copper as well...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back