IC: Mont Blanc Pens Group Buy for Delhi/NCR Members

It would appear that for some people belonging to the upper class, being accepted in it and being rich is very important. Well good luck to all who aspire to be in it. May their endeavors succeed and they make it to the circle they aspire to be in. I think I will just enjoy my life the way it is going.

Now let us get back to Mont Blanc Group Buy. Shall we?

For those of you who like collecting rare items/pens here is some interesting info. Mont Blanc had issued Mahatma Gandhi Pens a few years back but the outrage in our country over commercialization of Gandhiji's name led to the pen being discontinued after a short while (court case were also filed against Mont Blanc in India). However some pens had already been sold by that time and these are indeed rare. Its a rocker and as it was the first pen in Mont Blanc 'Great Characters' series and was followed by Pens honoring (you can use 'commercializing' instead of 'honoring' if that is what your view point is) Hitchcock and Einstein. If you can find one do try and get your hands on it; not sure though if you would not be in breach of Indian law.

Cheers Guys and 'Listen to the Music'

P.S. - Heard 'Nessun Dorma' being performed by 3 Tenors yesterday and had tears rolling down my eyes. It is magical.

I have couple of Montblanc pens that I inherited. I did some research on these pens and found that they were made around 1950. I also found that Montblanc is no more a German company but the brand is owned by a South African company. Now it is being used as a marketing tool.

Not directed at anyone in particular.

Having strong opinions is fine but rubbing it onto others is what I find distasteful.

Not all things are bought just to showoff. Let me quote a personal example.

I was once presented with a 'Cross' Ball point pen sometime in 1996 which at that time cost cost Rs. 1000/- plus. I'm a little careless with my personal stuff and hence soom lost it. But that got my interest piqued and I've dabbled with a few Parker pens and rediscovered the virtues of fountain pens. One day, I saw a Sheaffer in a Pen shop. The feel of the pen was way superior to that of the likes of Parker and I instantly fell in love with it. FYI, I earn only a fraction of the salary that a previous FM referred to in his post.

Bottom line: Shouk ki koi keemat nahi hoti.

This is a funny thread. Techboy you can't assume things about people just because they are looking for a deal on luxury pens.

I agree with techboy to an extent. These days very few people write and spend 90% time typing away. Funny that they spend lakhs on pens and not on a keyboard that makes it a better experience to type and gives some respite to your wrists.
Techboy don't underestimate the desire to showoff. 10th fail property dealers buy iphones and imacs. Education has nothing to do with desire to buy an expensive pen.

Guys, guys, guys, it is a group buy for MB pens as simple as that. Let us keep it at that.

Either you are in or out. Let us make the whole thing simple! :)

I am out, cannot afford it.

I would like to repeat the above here. MB pen buy, in or out? End of debate. :)

Thanks for that sensible sentiment, Vinod R; discussion's really gone on a tangent. This forum, quite naturally, has people from diverse backgrounds and professions, and hence some who don't understand or appreciate how or what others may be. A social climber or an insecure person may not be able to comprehend that somebody may be content and secure, just as a violent person may not quite understand how somebody could be gentle or pacifist.

On the pen vs keyboard argument - it's true that there are many professions (IT, banking, sales, academics etc) where the keyboard is used almost exclusively for writing. However, there are some where we write a few pages, or a few lines, quite regularly, by hand, since there are secretaries or stenographers to do the typing. A good quality pen enhances the pleasure of writing, and I've personally seen that my handwriting improves when the pen and nib are well designed and of good quality.

Ya. But you should be able to afford it. I would find a person who earns Rs.2 lac per month and buys a Rs.50,000 keyboard, leave alone multiple keyboards, to be equally immature.

Because he can't afford it.

If on the other hand he buys a casio worth 50k then that is a different story as that is something where you need to spend XYZ amount for ABC return/pleasure/enjoyment and it is just one time, not a collections thing.

Last edited:
Ya. But you should be able to afford it. I would find a person who earns Rs.2 lac per month and buys a Rs.50,000 keyboard, leave alone multiple keyboards, to be equally immature.

If on the other hand he buys a casio worth 50k then that is a different story as that is something where you need to spend XYZ amount for ABC return/pleasure/enjoyment and it is just one time, not a collections thing.

Why a casio is OK but not a pen?
Dear, its a mind block that you have to come out of. You have been conditioned to think in one particular way and you just cant imagine that there may be people who think differently. Basically, any body who is not like you is weird according to you.

By the way most group buys for cars happen in the luxury segement and not for Alto's & Santros.

This can be said about many things. Why do people buy watches that cost few thousands to tens of thousands and more, when a sub 1K watch can do the job and be reliable too? Or why buy a watch at all, when your mobile can show you time, besides being more versatile with alarms and reminders?

Speaking of mobiles, a lot of people who earn less than Rs.2 lac a month buy Galaxy S4 and Iphones. Do these phones offer a significantly higher experience as compared to the sub-20K phones? And how many people actually use those premium features? Though I never owned expensive pens, but use a fountain pen for day-to-day work, personally I can easily relate with people who buy pens as collectibles. The pens last for generations, and increase in value over time (ditto for well-crafted analog watches), as compared to smartphones that will be piece of junk in 4 years. But I know this is just my prejudice to expensive smartphones, and a few million smartphone owners in India alone will tell me I am dead-wrong.

To each his own.

Yes. Mobiles offer a better experience. Again, in the sub 2L income only people without grown up kids do stuff like that which is fine. Parents with high school students rarely do it because their priorities are different.

A watch is a similar case as a pen. As long as you can afford to buy a similar price watch again the day you lose your watch by accident, and without denting your bank balance, it is fine and you can afford it.

If you become a wreck if you lose your watch, then buying it in the first place is stupid.

And people who buy watches and cars do it to show off. People like you fool yourself into believing that it isn't for show off.

If you have the guts, accept it is for show off. Then it is fine. But if you don't accept it is for show off then you are lying,

If you have the guts, accept it is for show off. Then it is fine. But if you don't accept it is for show off then you are lying,

Okay, I see that I've been given two options here:

1. I agree with you
2. Else, I am a liar

Tough choice. Let me think over and get back. :sad:

Peace.

@ Moderators .... techboy has started getting on my/our nerves. Kindly, either restraint him or block his mails! Its our life, our money and our decision as to how we choose to spend it. Do not need his guidance, for Heaven's sake!

Because people who can genuinely afford something don't go around looking for sales. Those who care barely afford something may do it once in a while. But those who earn 1 cr per month never opt for sales.
Ha! You ain't seen nothing yet. "Boy" is right. Grow up! And I mean it in a nice way :)

Hey,

pointless arguments - and want to write a big answer - but frankly no time.

BTW what to write with Mont Blanc? so some good quotes ............

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

i) I know that I know nothing

ii) I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

iii) I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.

Socrates

I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.
Jackie Robinson

About opinion - Fanatstic quote from Clint Eastwoods Dirty Harry movie "The Dead Pool" ( cannot reproduce here - please check link)

Quote by Harry Callahan (The Dead Pool): Well, opinions are like assholes. Everybody has...

Request to @techboy - grow up & become a man - or you want to be forever boy like Boy George or Pet Shop Boys??

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
-- Anonymous

Have you seen anyone who won't prefer discounts or sale ? I bet, Dave Beckham looks for discount coupons too :p

Have you seen anyone who won't prefer discounts or sale ? I bet, Dave Beckham looks for discount coupons too :p

I heard he shares underwear. I am sure he looks out for a sale.

I hope these MB pens don't leak and spoil your shirts. Beware of sales and deals on luxury items, they could be fake. People prey on people looking for discounts on luxury items.

This is really a funny thread. People calling others to grow up. I hope this forum doesn't grow up overnight to 90 year olds.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back