Ideal 2.1 Setup for 60~70K (INR)

I'm looking at only a 2ch as of now... name the options, I shall consider.

I have Marantz SR5200 & I am using almost the same setup as your's. I am enjoying it everyday for DTH/Movies/Music.. Itz just brilliant.

I have felt that Marantz receivers are lil underpowered to drive the wharfedale 9.2. So i added Sonodyne 2 channel power amp (used for 12K) to it & i must say it is driving the 9.2 very easily. most of the time there was no need to turn the volume more than half of receivers display.

Instead of upgrading the BS, retain it & add power amp... It should do justice....

I would suggest, buy 3 used stereo / power amplifiers (Sonodyne, Marantz, NAD & Others...) so that u can enjoy stereo + HT setup...

I am planning to do the same for my setup over years..

I would suggest, buy 3 used stereo / power amplifiers (Sonodyne, Marantz, NAD & Others...) so that u can enjoy stereo + HT setup...

I am planning to do the same for my setup over years..

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion... I have actually bought an used CA650A from our forum member, expecting it in a couple of days.. Cannot buy 3 at one shot, but I'm going to experiment with one first, then decide my next route...

There was a NAD power amp on sale, but my dealer was like NAD's & wharfedales don't get along... He was suggesting Yam AS500, Marantz PM7004/6004. He also mentioned the CA 650A was too powerful for the 9.2's, drive them no more than the 11 o'clock.

The price for the CA650A was irresistible, so went for it and maybe I'll pickup a decent FS in a couple of months...

Thanks for your suggestion, we are on the same boat... will share pictures of setup once the amp arrive...

Regards...:)

my dealer was like NAD's & wharfedales don't get along... He was suggesting Yam AS500, Marantz PM7004/6004. He also mentioned the CA 650A was too powerful for the 9.2's, drive them no more than the 11 o'clock.

Your dealer is mistaken.
Wharf 9.2 is rated at 20-100 6ohms and the CA 650a is 75 watts @8 ohms. So roughly that would make it 100 watt @6 ohms.

So i don't see a problem here. Infact it is perfect. Ideally adding a more powerful amp than the speakers rated power will bring a lot more detail even at lower volumes.

There was a NAD power amp on sale, but my dealer was like NAD's & wharfedales don't get along... He was suggesting Yam AS500, Marantz PM7004/6004. He also mentioned the CA 650A was too powerful for the 9.2's, drive them no more than the 11 o'clock.
Regards...:)

Ok.. I am little confused. How do you intend to drive your speakers / Is it thru Marantz receiver (or) CA 650A. If you decide to add power to your receiver it doesn't matter which brand of power amp you are adding. The sound will remain the Pre Amp way.. in your case Marantz receiver.

Power amplifier's don't change anything when added to the receiver/pre amplifier... They juz give ample power to the speakers in low to moderate volumes...

Power amplifier's don't change anything when added to the receiver/pre amplifier... They juz give ample power to the speakers in low to moderate volumes...

Some FM's and me have experienced a change in the sound presentation with especially with NAD amps.
Ideally it is the pre that dictates the sound however with NAD power amps the sound signature so some reason tends towards NAD

Some FM's and me have experienced a change in the sound presentation with especially with NAD amps.
Ideally it is the pre that dictates the sound however with NAD power amps the sound signature so some reason tends towards NAD

I haven't tried pairing my Marantz receiver with other power amps... But it shouldn't alter the preamp output...

Got a CA 650A from a FM "Vikram". Connected the front outputs of the AVR via an OEHLBACH NF Set to the aux input of the CA, set the volume to 12 o'clock and it sounds just perfect, my speakers suddenly are playing low notes too.. I guess all the words from the forum members initially who said stick to an int. amp. makes sense now. But since all my sources are digital, i guess the match is as good now. Haven't run the calibration yet, will do some time later....

Thanks to all...

Now for stage II: will give it some time, as I have to replenish my accounts..:licklips:

Last edited:
If you decide to add power to your receiver it doesn't matter which brand of power amp you are adding. The sound will remain the Pre Amp way.. in your case Marantz receiver.

Well said... playing via the power amp (CA650A) directly and via the Marantz pre outs makes a lot of difference. I thought the output stage would change according to the power amp, but I was wrong... Thanks for the info...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back