Ilaiyaraaja

Hai Vortex,

I will appreciate if you mention, which recordings of Raja are "bright" as per your posts.

N.Murali.

Hai Vortex,

I will appreciate if you mention, which recordings of Raja are "bright" as per your posts.

N.Murali.

Some of my favourite songs too have been recorded in what I consider a 'bright' manner. I am actually in the process of preparing a list of my Ilayaraja favourites. I will talk about the song and my impressions in a post when I am done with the list. Thanks for your patience.

In the meanwhile, I think Srikarkav has given a good example of what I mean by brightness. There is another song which I am not quite able to bring to mind. This was sung by Jeyachandran with a female singer (could be SP Shailaja) which was actually a lovely melody. But actually a pretty bright recording. Sorry I am not too much help.

In my mind, Ilayaraja's recording tended to be towards bright most of the time. The recording on most of my favourite songs is far from ideal. But the music still envelops.

You could try Salangai Oli. I thought that was a clean recording. Some of the more recent ones have been a revelation though. 'Naan Kadavul', 'Pithamagan', etc have lovely recordings. Do try them out. 'Nandalala' is also not bad, though not as good as the earlier two mentioned.

Hai Vortex,

Many of IR's songs in Film made from other language like "Salangai Oli" are not of good recording Quality. The Original Film "Sagara Sangamam" was recorded in Stereo while the Music for the Tamil version is in Mono. The recording quality in Tamil was OK. Similarly many films were done like that, eg. Geethanjali(Telugu) & Idhayathai Thirudathae(Tamil). But I would say Raja has given his best as far as Tamil is concerned, compared to other Telugu remakes, eg. the music for "Alaigal Oyvathillai", compared to "Sitakoka Chilaka" in Telugu.

N.Murali.

And i actually thought the recording quality of Salangai Oli was not bad:). I did not know about it being recorded in mono. I bought a CD sometime back and was thinking this was not bad.

Especially the 'Naadha Vinodhangal' song has a bit of silence in between lyrics and the silence was palpable. Just as a good recording should be.

I remember another bright recording. Priya is the movie. 'Sriramanin' is the song sung by Jesudass.

Hi guys,

This is one riot of a song by Raja! This is what one Mr.Anand who has written a series of articles on the maestro has to say about this song.

' Madhyamavathi is supposed to be a Mangalakaramaana raagam. Tradionally when we end the katcheri, it is customary to end the katcheri in one of the three raagas: Madhyamavathi, Suruti, or Sowrashtram. Ilayaraja used Madhyamavathi to end the song in one of his raagamaalika songs! enna samaiyalO in Unnal Mudiyum Thambi. The song starts with Mohanam and ends with Madhyamaavathi. When SPB sings ilaiyai pOdadi, Madhyamavathi starts. Of course, each of the raaga change in that raagamalikai is made by the accompanying nadhaswaram.'

YouTube - 'Enna samayalo...' from 'Unnaal Mudiyum Thambi'

cheers,
sri

I dont mean any offense to anybody. But somehow I dont feel that posting Youtube videos of Ilayaraja songs may be the best idea for this thread. Reason being that in a lot of the cases, the beauty of the visuals and the acting involved may not match up to the class of the music. And this may turn some of the guys/girls who are not quite familiar with Ilayaraja and/or Tamil cinema. However, I am not sure that I have a better idea either rather than just list the names of the songs and the movies in which they feature.

Any thoughts on this from the other Ilayaraja fans? Is there a better way for us to introduce these wonderful compositions other than Youtube links? Are there maybe pure audio links?

Hai,

Anyone from Kerala can tell us about the music of Pazhassi Raja , about the BG Score and the songs. The film is yet to be released in TN.

N.Murali.

Aye Sir! Present Sir!

To be honest, I have not listened to Pazhassi Raja soundtrack a lot,I have watched the movie( Great movie) and listened to the album a few times, but my initial impressions are:

I am not entirely happy with the music of the movie but I think that has got to do mainly with the fact that the songs in such a movie are limited but the theme of the movie. In that light, the soundtrack is good.
There are 6 songs:
My favourites are"
Aadhiushassin - K.J Yesudas, this one embodies the struggle for freedom, honor, patriotism that the movie is about.

Ambum Kombum- the Maestro himself lends his voice to this song. I love this song:p, this type of song doesnt come along often, I mean it's supposed to be sung by the tribals who help Pazhassi Raja Kerala Varma in his fight against the British in the movie.

Kunnathe Konnaykum by K.S Chitra, is a very melodious and romantic number. It is the one that seems have become the favorite here. It is sung by Pazhassi Raja's wife who's waiting for his arrival in the movie.:D

Olathandil and Aalamadankala Mythavanalle sound quite, well, familiar.

EDIT: I am not happy with BG score:sad:! For most of the movie, the BG seems to be identical to that in English/Hollywood war movies( sure Pazhassi is fighting the British, but its about Pazhassi and not the British army)!
I mean its not like we dont have our wind and percussion instruments! Its only in the second half that there are pieces which are more in line with the music of the region.

Last edited:
Hello guys,
I have only heard the music from the film Sadma by Ilaiyaraja. loved both the music nad the film. Can you guys tell more hindi films where he scored music.

Here is link to esnips. one of my favourite songs.

AYE ZINDAGI GALE LAGA LE - eSnips, share anything

Thanks.

Year Hindi Film
1983 Sadma
1985 Kamagni
1989 Mahadev
1990 Appu Raja
1991 Anjali, Aadmi Aur Apsara
1996 Aur Ek Prem Kahani, Saza-E-Kala Pani, Chhaila
1999 Hey Ram, Velu Nayakan
2001 Lajja
2005 Mumbai Xpress, Divorce: Not Between Husband and Wife
2006 Shiva 2006
2007 Cheeni Kum
2009 Paa, Chal Chalein, Happi,
2010 Mausam, SRK

N.Murali

I dont mean any offense to anybody. But somehow I dont feel that posting Youtube videos of Ilayaraja songs may be the best idea for this thread. Reason being that in a lot of the cases, the beauty of the visuals and the acting involved may not match up to the class of the music. And this may turn some of the guys/girls who are not quite familiar with Ilayaraja and/or Tamil cinema. However, I am not sure that I have a better idea either rather than just list the names of the songs and the movies in which they feature.

Any thoughts on this from the other Ilayaraja fans? Is there a better way for us to introduce these wonderful compositions other than Youtube links? Are there maybe pure audio links?

Hi vortex,

Even if you wish, i don't think you can offend anybody:) I have always marvelled at the balanced way you do your posts.So no concerns there.

Well actually you have echoed my exact fears. I am posting the youtube links,since i don't know any better alternatives.I don't know if there are any dedicated audio links for Raja's songs. Posting merely the names of the songs is not going to be helpful in anyway to those who are not familiar with his songs.If any one can come out with a better idea it will be great.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Hi vortex,

Even if you wish, i don't think you can offend anybody:) I have always marvelled at the balanced way you do your posts.So no concerns there.

Well actually you have echoed my exact fears. I am posting the youtube links,since i don't know any better alternatives.I don't know if there are any dedicated audio links for Raja's songs. Posting merely the names of the songs is not going to be helpful in anyway to those who are not familiar with his songs.If any one can come out with a better idea it will be great.

cheers,
sri

Sri,

You can possibly use Raaga.com - I believe it's legal and you get a direct forum link for any songs listed out there, I'm unable to post one as it's blocked at office. However, I was able to check it on my phone and you get a permalink.

Last edited:
Year Hindi Film
1983 Sadma
1985 Kamagni
1989 Mahadev
1990 Appu Raja
1991 Anjali, Aadmi Aur Apsara
1996 Aur Ek Prem Kahani, Saza-E-Kala Pani, Chhaila
1999 Hey Ram, Velu Nayakan
2001 Lajja
2005 Mumbai Xpress, Divorce: Not Between Husband and Wife
2006 Shiva 2006
2007 Cheeni Kum
2009 Paa, Chal Chalein, Happi,
2010 Mausam, SRK

N.Murali

Thanks Murli for the list. I will try and locate the good songs from this. I have heard songs from this movie Anjali. That anjali anjali anjali song.But that's a long time ago.
Thanks.

Thanks Sri! You are too kind.

And Teky thanks a lot for the heads up on Raaga.com. I am wondering why I did not think of it earlier.:)

Sri,

You can possibly use Raaga.com - I believe it's legal and you get a direct forum link for any songs listed out there, I'm unable to post one as it's blocked at office. However, I was able to check it on my phone and you get a permalink.

Thanks Suresh for reminding the raaga site.Still i don't know if it has most of his songs.But if we search around i may get an audio link for songs.

Thanks to Suresh I am giving the audio link to the first ever film album by Raja.Though all the songs became hits the last song listed on the page 'machanai patheengala' took the people by storm.This was a simple folk song and its success astounded many.May be the energy the song brings to the table was the key.

Annakili Songs - Annakili Tamil Movie Songs - Tamil Songs Lyrics Trailer Videos, Preview Stills Reviews

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
In the modern world of Tv Commercials Illayaraja's tunes
have been used many a time. That's a great tribute to the musical genius..

Here's a list of a few.

1. The IDEA CELLULAR tune.
It's from the Kannada movie "Pallavi Anu pallavi"( maniratnams first movie)
[

2. KISSAN JAM
Its from the song 'Idhu oru pon maalai pozhudhu' from the Tamil Movie "Nizhlalgal"
http://www.itwofs.com/audio/KissanMixedFruitJam-LoweBalki.rm

3. LIRIL Orange ad
It's from the Telugu Maniratnam movie "Gitanjali"
http://www.itwofs.com/audio/LirilOrange-Video.rm

4. LG AIRCONDITIONER
I's the song 'Uravenum Pudhiya Vaanil' from the Tamil movie "Nenjathai
Killathey"
[

These illustrate the point that Illayaraja's tunes are timeless...

All these have been used in these commercials by Balki who is a major Illayaraja fan. He has used Illayaraja for both Cheeni Kum as well as Paa his latest movie. The background score in the promos for Paa is brilliant

Thanks Suresh for reminding the raaga site.Still i don't know if it has most of his songs.But if we search around i may get an audio link for songs.

cheers,
sri

You can also find songs within Tamil songs online& musicindiaonline.com - Although I'm not sure how much legal these are and do they actually pay anything to the recording company.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back