Ilaiyaraaja

Hi Murali,

Thanks a lot for starting this thread. I am an ardent fan of Ilayaraja. Recently I happened to visit the following blogs about IR and they are interesting.

This blog (in Tamil) analyzes IR's expertise in scoring music compositions and the background music in films. It also discusses the specialities of AR Rahman and why these two legends cannot be compared. Interesting one.

??????: ???????? - ? ??? ???????, ?????????? ???????????? ???? ??

This blog analyzes IR's innovations in rhythm patterns in Tamil film songs. Raja sir used only chorus voice as rhythm for the song "Naan Poranthu Vandhadhu" from Maya Bazaar (1995). An interesting read.

Raja, the genius: Raja's rhythm innovation stage 14

Hi Muthu Sir,
Good to see you back on the forum. Welcome back:)

cheers,
sri

Guys is there any best of Ilaiyaraaja cd with good sound quality?

most of raaja's earlier works are available in good quality in oriental
records, they have even remastered some of his rare earlier songs, they
offer movie combos and song compilation by prominent singers,
most of these collections are available in landmark, only grip is their
lousy web design :sad:

Welcome To Orientalrecords.com

Hi Guys,

Got hold of some beautiful albums by Raja .The icing on the cake is all these albums are vinyls:).

1.Varsuham 16
2.Amman Kovil Kizhakkale
3.Idhaya koil
4.Udhaya Geetham
5.Thenrale Ennai Thodu
6.Karagattakkaran
7.Enga Ooru Paatukkaran
8.Aan paavam
9.Puthu Puthu Arthangal
10.Gopuara Vaasalile
11.Mudhal Maryadahai
12.Ninaivellam Nithaya
13.Alaigal Oivathillai
14.Micheal Madana Kamarajan
15.Thoongathe Thambi Thoongathe
16Apoorva Sagodharargal
17.Mella Thiranthathu Kadhavu ( A rare album by Raja & MSV)
18.Payanangal Mudivathillai

cheers,
sri

woww sri sir

awesome collection!! many vintage nostalgic songs in them..happy hearing !! where did u dig this treasure btw??!!:)

Yes Doctor. Very nostalgic indeed, I got them from Sasi of Mohan Music.particularly can't forget the Alaigal Oivathillai album.The movie was released when i was in Pondy,my first place of posting by my bank.I was only 21 and staying away from home for the first time.Was terribly home sick and my room mate used to play this tape in his Two in One.:) Whenever i hear the songs
i remember the good old days

Got some more from him. Ninaithale Inikkum,Aaaradhana, KB movies songs,PBS collection, Sivantha Mann & Enga Mama,Sangarabhaanam(telugu) and a collection of MGR songs.

cheers,
sri

Hai srikarkav,

That must be the cream of Raja's songs.

To contribute to the thread here's some rare songs list of Raja :

Song--------------------Film

1. Vedham Nee - Kovil Pura
2. Amudhae tamilae - -do-
3. Chinna kannan - Kavikuyil
4. Sugamo Ayiram - Thunai iruppaal Meenatchi
5. Andhapurathil oru - Deepam
6. Enthan pon vannamae- Naan Vazha vaippaen
7. Kandaen engum - Katrinilae varum geetham
8. Engengoo sellum - Pattakathi Bhairavan
9. Solla solla enna - Ellam inba mayam
10 Endrendrum ananthamae - Kadal meengal
11 manjal Nilavukku - Mudhal Iravu
12 Vecha paarvai - Ilamai kolangal
13 Naan naan aadanam - Poonthalir

Note :

Song 1 Based on Raga Nattai sung by KJY. Watchout for the Bass guitar and keyboards. Perfect timing and control.

Song 3. Sugamao aayiram - Veena played by S.Gayathri. She first refused to play after seeing the notes since it was so difficult. Later Raja convinced her that it will recorded in bits and mixed later, she obliged. A very melodious number.

Song 9 : This has a Jazz influence. Reason being that a jazz sax player had come from Africa and present during the recording. He asked Raja to give a chance in his recording, Raja had replied that the Producer cant afford the fee claimed by him for the session. The Sax player told that he will play for free. So Raja has composed the song for 2 Sax players. Listen to the intermediate sax pieces, good composition.

Song 10 : Listen to Raja's extensive use of Moog Synthesiser in this song

Song 12 . Vecha paarvai theeradhadi - Starts as a teaser song by the hero, listen to the first BGM for the Keyboard and guitar lines. Perfect control. The hero teases the heroine in this song, and she finally accepts his love, listen how Raja changes the second BGM and accompaniment there afterwards it reflect this mood.
Mani Sharma's father had been a player in Raja's Troupe initially. MS has said in his interview that the Keyboard arrangement of Raja with 2/3 players is very complicated compared to Loop and Programming arrangements resorted to by today's Tamil Film Composers.

N.Murali

Last edited:
Thanks murali. That is a list of some rare songs indeed. I have heard all of them except 'solla solla". My most favourie in your list is 'Engengo sellum'.
Manjal Nilavukku is another awesome song.Vecha Paarvai' is a very rare peppy song by Yesudas.Most of his songs are soft melodies.But KJ has sung this song like kishore.:)

Kanden Engum -Janaki sizzles in this song.
Poonthalir-I love all the songs in this movie.
Chinnakannan- Blamurali has sung very few songs in tamil movies.When he goes 'Kangal solginra kavithai 'in this song, its divine.:)
Anthaapurathil Oru- Raja has used TMS for only few songs.And TMS is in a rare form in this song.

IMHO You can add 'Karaiyatha manamum Undo' in Varusham 16' in your list..I heard this song in vinyl now and it stole my heart with KJ's voice and the mirudangam Raja has used.

Continue your good work murali. Great going.:clapping:

cheers,
sri

Sri, started your vinyl collection spree with a bang with those great albums.Happy listening. At least i know of someone who can lend me some records in case i get to buy a TT(not likely for now).

BTW, can you explain the diff between CD and vinyl in terms of quality, depth and dynamics and have you made any comparison with CD and vinyl of same songs? is vinyl so superior to CDs or is it just nostalgia? Because i've never listened to it in home environment and i've just listened to a couple of vinyl rips of Balamurali and DKP(HMV 78 shellac records) and i liked them more for the quality of singing rather than the recording quality as the recordings were made at the peak of their careers.,

Regards

Thanks Bala and Cool! Yes i was lucky to get to Sasi first after he got a lot today.I think a couple of days delay, all this abums would have disappeared for sure.

@cool Yes you are welcome to have my vinyls if and when you get a TT.
Well getting into this Vinyl VS CD makes me weary. This is a much maligned subject.I think one should hear the vinyls personally and decide. As far as i am concerned i am not ready trash my CD's for various reasons. I love the vinyls for the immediacy,attack and presence it offers, to borrow the words of one of our forum members. My son says the guitar sound on MJs Beat It sounds lifeless on CD and pretty cool on vinyl.

But one thing is for sure. I think Raja's albums should be heard on vinyls only.His CD albums i have heard sounds mmmmm how to put it? Truncated??
On vinyls his albums sound awesome.Especially the sound stage. I was hearing SPB in the song Keladi kanmani-Puthu Puthu Arthangal and his voice filled my room and mesmerized me.Raja's guitar,drums etc sound very life like.
So hear for yourself in a forum member's home and decide for yourself:)

cheers,
sri

Hai srikarkav,

That must be the cream of Raja's songs.

To contribute to the thread here's some rare songs list of Raja :

Song--------------------Film

1. Vedham Nee - Kovil Pura
2. Amudhae tamilae - -do-
3. Chinna kannan - Kavikuyil
4. Sugamo Ayiram - Thunai iruppaal Meenatchi
5. Andhapurathil oru - Deepam
6. Enthan pon vannamae- Naan Vazha vaippaen
7. Kandaen engum - Katrinilae varum geetham
8. Engengoo sellum - Pattakathi Bhairavan
9. Solla solla enna - Ellam inba mayam
10 Endrendrum ananthamae - Kadal meengal
11 manjal Nilavukku - Mudhal Iravu
12 Vecha paarvai - Ilamai kolangal
13 Naan naan aadanam - Poonthalir

Note :

Song 1 Based on Raga Nattai sung by KJY. Watchout for the Bass guitar and keyboards. Perfect timing and control.

Song 3. Sugamao aayiram - Veena played by S.Gayathri. She first refused to play after seeing the notes since it was so difficult. Later Raja convinced her that it will recorded in bits and mixed later, she obliged. A very melodious number.

Song 9 : This has a Jazz influence. Reason being that a jazz sax player had come from Africa and present during the recording. He asked Raja to give a chance in his recording, Raja had replied that the Producer cant afford the fee claimed by him for the session. The Sax player told that he will play for free. So Raja has composed the song for 2 Sax players. Listen to the intermediate sax pieces, good composition.

Song 10 : Listen to Raja's extensive use of Moog Synthesiser in this song

Song 12 . Vecha paarvai theeradhadi - Starts as a teaser song by the hero, listen to the first BGM for the Keyboard and guitar lines. Perfect control. The hero teases the heroine in this song, and she finally accepts his love, listen how Raja changes the second BGM and accompaniment there afterwards it reflect this mood.
Mani Sharma's father had been a player in Raja's Troupe initially. MS has said in his interview that the Keyboard arrangement of Raja with 2/3 players is very complicated compared to Loop and Programming arrangements resorted to by today's Tamil Film Composers.

N.Murali

Wonderful details. Thanks a lot.

i recently stumbled upon this song "o enthan" from unakkagave vazhgiren in a restaurant ,been listening to this track for last couple of days, completely hooked,amazing bass lines and janaki in full flow!

http://www.inisai.net/1234TB/inter/UnakkagaveVazhgiren/TamilBeat.Com - Ohh Yendhan.mp3

@srikarkav do listen to tholin melle from Ninaivellam Nithaya in vinyl and you will be amazed by the quality of recording, highly underrated song

nice thread,

Raja is a genius. he is amazing. his compositions are mind blowing. i love the way he uses the bass guitar, infact i cant think of any other composer who has exploited this instrument is such varied ways. The way he fuses western and carnatic super. watch for the counterpoint in S Janaki's voice in Vikram Vikram son which arguably is the first Rap song in Tamil films.

And the Shenai in 'Aathadi paavada kathada'. Man, how the guitar and the shenai play a beautiful beck and call melody while the flute finishes the duel between then in the first BGM is simply out of the world. no one else can do it but Raja.

Hi,

@murali I didn't have to wait for the saturday night friend. I am already home down with fever.:)

@Grump5 In my younger days i was crazy about this song 'Tholin Mele ' Yes it did not get its due.Amazing song.

@flanker Delighted to know you are a Raja fan too and those were some very nice comments.:)

For those who want to hear the song flanker mentioned here is the link.It is the first song on the page.

http://www.musicplug.in/songs.php?movieid=613

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back