Ilaiyaraaja

murali_n

Hai All,

I am starting this thread as per the request of Forum members Sri and Vortex. I want all to participate actively and give their contribution. To begin with I am posting the Link to the wikipedia about Ilaiyaraaja(IR) ;

Ilaiyaraaja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In this thread I will post details of rare songs of the maestro with some news, pl post your impressions and views.

Thanks,

N.Murali.

Last edited:
Hi muarali,

Thanks a lot for starting the thread.Members who know Raja but not familiar with all his songs will benefit by this i am sure.Even a guy like me who is very familiar will also find this thread very interesting.I wish the forum guys Happy Raja Times!

Cheers,
sri

Hi murali,

Sure i will chip in. I will start with this interesting tidbit about Raja.:)

Raja started his amazing career with the Tamil film called Annakili.During the times the movie was started there was big lull in Tamil Film Music(TFM).Hindi songs from films like Bobby and Yodanki Barhat were a rage. Raja changed all that with his first movie itself. His songs particularly 'Machanai Parthingala' sung by S Janaki took tamilnadu by storm.

When raja started his recording for the first time for the above said movie in the recording theater the power went out. The sentiment riddled Tamil cinema pundits predicted Raja was doomed forever.He proved them wrong and how! And then the rest as they is history.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Great Idea!

The one's I cherish most are below (Not limited)

1. Metti Oli Katrodu( From Film Metti I think)
2. Vizhiyile undhan Vizhiyile - Don't know the film name (Was Jothayli - Geetha in Kanada and also in Cheenikum)
3. Oh Vasantha Raja - Neengal Kettavai
4. Pilai Nila - Again from Neengal Kettavai
5. Podhuvaga En Manasu thangam - MuratuKalai - Such an energetic song
6. How to name it - Album

I'll add more as this thread progresses.

I was lucky enough to attend his concert which happened in Chennai. It was simple an out of world experience. Such an humble man with a great passion towards music. He happened to correct the violonist during the live session, spotted something wrong made them to play until he feels it's correct. He also sang traditional tamil songs (Thalattu etc) which are very rare and was complaining about how fast our lives are and asked where are we all going? I felt a bit same. Also his songs make me feel nostalgic all the time (Not that I'm very old - But). Some of his concert videos are on Youtube, do check them.

Thanks Murali,

i have one good friend with same name.. Murali. he is too a big fan of Ilayaraja.

i like lots of songs from the maestro. we can find most of his masterpieces in "Best of Ilayaraja" search in net. but some songs i used to enjoy long back -thanks to my Tamil friends-, is difficult to find in those list.. i think those are the rare songs you are interested in.. one such compilations is Aavarampoo. i dont remember all the songs.. but some

1, Aalolam paadi
2, mandhiram ithu

those are worth listening.

Thanks Murali for obliging. I am sure this thread is going to be filled with gems. One suggestion - we need not restrict ourselves to rare songs of Ilayaraja as many forum members may not be aware of even the more famous numbers.

I will certainly be chipping in with my favourites. Look forward to your updates.

Here are my few picks...
Nizhangal - ithu oru pon malai poluthu
Nizhangal - Poongathavey
Moonram pirai - Kanney kalaimaney
Karakattakaran - Intha maan unthan sontha maan
Sindhu Bairavi: Dom dom & poomail vangi vanthal
PuthuPattu: Sontam vanthathu vanthathu
Thai Mookambika: Janani Janai [ master piece and mesmerizing]
Kadalora Kavithaigal: Poguthey & Adi Athadi
Punnagai Mannan: Edhey tho ennam
Kalaigan: Enthan Nenji neengatha
Thambiku entha ooru: Kathalin deepam ondru
Idhayam: Pottu vaitha, aprilmayiley
Chenmaruthi: Nila Kaayum neram

list will continue...

Thanks,
Prakash.

Nice thread. I liked Ilaiyaraaja sir's music in the kannada movie - NAMMOORA MANDARA HOOVE. Superb songs and superb music.

Hai,

ANNAKILI:

This film launched IR as a debutant composer. Most of the songs were hits because of the folky tunes and his instrumentation. The title song Machanai partheengala was a runaway hit and launched IR into the Tamil film music scene. In another song from the same movie "Namma veetu kalyanam", IR would have made a riot out of Keyboards, Guitar, and other domestic instruments from the Indian kitchen.

In the song "'Annakilyae unnai theduthae" sung by another legend TM Soundarrajan IR has been Inspired by "Welcome home" by the OSIBISA especially in the guitar bits.
Even in the re-recording IR has used 2 songs one from yesteryear and another from this movie to convey the heroine's feelings of disappointment.

By this film there was a new wave of music flowing out and no marriage was complete in TN, without playing this movie's songs.

N.Murali.

Thanks murali. That was an awesome 8 minutes! Can you tell us which album does this song belong to and some more info genealy about the same?

Thanks again

cheers,
sri

[
Thanks again
dear all, thanks for this thread.for a guy like me who has been completely brought up hearing Rajas music,this is a god send!.am sending a link to a havoc of a song.listen and get floooored!.this is from a film called Mudivalla aarambam.yr 1984.havoc guitars and easily one of those not so popular!/ raja classics.rgds.visu
YouTube - JAYCHANDRAN HITS-PAADI VA THENDRALE (MUDIVALLA ARAMBAM)
cheers,
sri[/QUOTE]

Hi guys,

Here is another lovely song from Raja. I love the violin in this song and the way it flows. Watch out for the way SJ starts this sing.

God it has been 3 decades since i watched this movie.It seems like yesterday!
And the superstar is still chasing young girls on the screen:D

YouTube - DHARMA YUDDHAM

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Just to break the monotony watch Raja in action :
N.Murali

Murali, pardon me for saying this. I really don't seem to catch anything extraordinary about this video and the song. I watched the video a few times, and even my untrained ears could discern the singers singing out of tune a few times.

Maybe I am missing something.

Cheers

Hi,

Ilaiyaraja and AR Rehman both learned western (especially guitar) music from Master Dhanraj. Both of them took trinity grade exams at musee musicals in Chennai. Ilaiyaraja is a gold medalist in guitar grade exams.

A humble request to fellow forum members: There was a thread "Is A R Rahman That Great" started by one of our friend from this forum and I noticed on certain reply postings few forum members were trying to prove/justify that ARR is the most superior when compared with other music composers. I agree that, every one has the right to express their view but please avoid comparing with others and instead you can share more about the person whom you like to discuss.

For e.g. About an year back there was a thread comparing Mohd. Rafi Ji & Kishore Ji. Personally I felt very bad the way this thread was going on.

For that matter, to the best of my knowledge, ISAIGNANI cannot be compared with anyone. I am sure most of the fellow forum members would not be aware how great ISAIGNANI is.

[1] At his peak time, 6 to 8 recordings used to happen simultaneously on the same day at different recording studios in Chennai. He had 5 to 6 music conductors to assist him. Which composer's recordings has happened to this extent?

[2] At one of the studios, he has spot composed tunes for 6 songs in 30 mts time for a movie. That was his capacity. I am sure that no one has broken this record till date.

I know all these news through my close friends who are professional musicians who play for most of the music composers in south.

Why can't we accept the fact that each and everyone person is unique and they are great in their own way. Please avoid comparisons in future. Thanks.

NOW .....

Check out this mind-blowing article about our ISAIGNANI MAESTRO ILAYARAJA AYYA.

Ilayaraja?s music is timeless

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back