Import Duties for Records

tek

Hi All

I've been buying records online for a while now.. mostly from ebay and insound.com. So far, i've received maybe 30 records through the post with no problems. Shipment comes from the US in about 14 days. So far so good.

I recently ordered through a site called newburycomics.com, and unlike ebay or insound who ship through regular mail, this site uses DHL Global Priority mail. I've talked with a few people, and they say that when you receive packages via DHL they are always flagged for customs, sometimes going almost 50% of the value of the goods. This means i will have to pay almost Rs 2000 when my package comes! That's ridiculous!

Does anyone know whether records are actually dutiable? CD's and DVDs are exempt, so aren't records as well? The cost of the records was around $80 and shipping was about $30 extra.

Should I be worried?

Thanks

Tek

Its not necessary that when the item is shipped through DHL then a customs duty is levied onto it, but it depends a lot on the customs officer who is inspecting the goods when recieved in India, generally any item upto the value of 100$ is exempted from the customs but then too it depends on Customs officer incharge and it is at his descretion to levy any duty or not.

That seems strange that it would be left up to the discretion or mood of the officer in charge at the time.. they don't have a system for things that are dutiable or not? If I have a legal reasoning, can I not object to the duty and request for it to be waived?

That being said, this is India! =)

Vinyl records are classified under chapter 85238010 as "Gramophone Records" and attract a basic customs duty @ 10% plus other duties which total to around 35% of CIF value (cost, Insurance and freight). If correct item and value is declared, the duty is not discretionary with the customs authority.

I happen to be importing a lot of stuff from all around the world and I have a mixed bag experience with customs, for eg: My Caiman DAC which was valued at more than 15K INR didn't attract any customs duty, My Etrayz valued at 6K didn't attract any duty, Blu Rays through Amazon if imported in a lot of 4 or 5 disks, then sometimes a duty of 2.2k was levied on them and sometimes none. I bought an Ipod Universal kit of Harman Kardon from ebay.com which was valued at 4K and I was levied a duty of 4.5K on that. I also imported a Remote control for my earlier NEC projector which was valued at 3.5k and I was charged a customs duty of 2.5k on it. So you see thats the reason I believe in my above assumption. Its upto you if you wana reject the customs duty charged to you at the time of delivery of your product then you have to fight for it which takes both your time and money.

Thanks guys. Up-til now i've not had a problem importing the records, but if I come across anything with this particular order, i'll let you know! If so, i'm ditching DHL and sticking with regular mail!

Vinyl records are classified under chapter 85238010 as "Gramophone Records" and attract a basic customs duty @ 10% plus other duties which total to around 35% of CIF value (cost, Insurance and freight). If correct item and value is declared, the duty is not discretionary with the customs authority.

Absolute Phase has been importing LPs for long and we always get them by FEDEX and the import duty is as mentioned above. At least they arrive quick and safe. Sadly the FEDEX freight costs are huge, which adds to the end user price.

Hi Tyagi

What do you mean if correct item value is declared? If they think the item is priced differently can they penalize legally?

Regards

I was just checking, and so far I have bought over 15-20 records online and had them sent through regular post. I have not to my knowledge been charged for these.. I thinkonce I was charged 50 rupees as a handling fee or something. They always reach from US in 2 weeks flat. No issues so far (knock on wood)

In this case the online store only ships DHL, but they said it would come through regular mail so i'm not sure what that means. Time will tell.

But if anyone is buying online, I say opt for the regular post option.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back