Indian Hi-fi Equipment/Accessories comparable with best in class international products

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Where I stand:

It was quite a living with my existing audio raft for the past 3 years, the itch for something different grew over me and I happened to hunch into INDIQAUDIO / AUDIQS experience center based on a few reviews on this forum which struck me as more original.

Playlist:

As an Audiophile, I have my playlist handy to take on auditions with my choices which rings better in terms of locating the real difference if something would!

I Paired my phone with Signature acoustics BT receiver there..

Observations:

The Team

1. Pragmatic people loaded with knowledge
2. Passion was evident in them

The Company

1. Wants to do something different
  2. Surprised me when they whispered of 3 + 2 years warranty, no one else does
  3. Free look-in period of 1 week
  4. Speaker cabinet customization, an expectation of mine and many finally fulfilled

Impressions from the demo:

a) Great demo setup with both floor standers and bigger bookshelves

b) The switcher allows a seamless toggle between amps and speakers which was lovely

c) Felt at home with a home setup appeal, no acoustics or audio room feel, quiet a confident speaker designer. This helped me experience exactly how it would’ve sounded at my home.

1st Demo:

>>Gold Towers + Monoblock

Impression:-

• Clear vocals
  • Smooth highs
  • Good bass
  • Very nice sound stage
This setup sounded better than my existing set up (Polk S60 + NAD 356) not sure if I got used to the existing one and it was a welcome change

2nd Demo:

>>Platinum Towers + Monoblock

Impression:-

• Clear vocals as in 1st Demo
  • Smooth highs as in 1st Demo
  • Bass we different than the 1st demo and was very clean, subtle and enveloping
  • Sound stage was better than the 1st demo

Just one word for this demo – “Top class”. This one sounded way better than my setup. Even at slightly high volume, the sound was not noisy as it is in my current case.

3rd Demo:

>>Platinum Towers + Norge Concerto Gold

Impression:

The setup sounded a bit loud at the same volume setting or perceived volume, and the sound stage stood so near to me which was a new reality that I experienced. But the finesse of Monoblock amp was missing here.

Best Experience:

• Interaction with Amit felt pleasant while he drove me close to the technical details and engineering behind the design and set up, Oh! It was 2 hours when I tilted the watch.
  • Platinum + Power Amp to me felt worthy and evolved as a great combo for sure.
  • USP of the brand stood out as I mentioned earlier.

He whispered, “Any suggestions”?

I was like...

1) Location! It took me 45 mins to reach there. They have plans to open more such centres next year to spread within the city more.

2) Typical start and shutdown plop from Norge Amp, it is not their product but the amp is part of their demo and they are NORGE’s experience centre in Bangalore.

"Since I could not touch movie experience, I am planning another visit, next week. I will keep you all updated with my experience"
Nice write up Musicriot,
loved the conspiratorial mood created with all the whispers.
Great to hear of more high performing audio gear made in India.

Reading your account I was thinking that Effective marketing and building a reputation for quality, aesthetic, service and more...go to determining if such companies thrive or not. Maybe FMs with experience could suggest ways to help ?

Many such start ups (in my limited understandin) are by talented engineers, who may not be skilled at marketing and sales. In the COVID-19 constrained world opportunities for direct auditioning are likely to be lesser than before. More Online user reviews could help potential buyers decide.

...by the way, are there any professIonal audio reviewers in India? (As in the West?)

Thanks again for the entertaining review. It’s a refreshing change from the usual style I get to read.

by the way, are there any professIonal audio reviewers in India? (As in the West?)

I’d also like to know. Not the ‘average joe YT reviewer’ who rattled off the specs, but someone who understands music and sound and can provide perspective as well as insight. The one I know, who writes intermittently in magazines (not his primary profession) is our own FM Vivek Ramakrishnan (@vivek_r).

Any other?

I’d also like to know. Not the ‘average joe YT reviewer’ who rattled off the specs, but someone who understands music and sound and can provide perspective as well as insight. The one I know, who writes intermittently in magazines (not his primary profession) is our own FM Vivek Ramakrishnan (@vivek_r).

Any other?
FM @sidvee did a couple of gear reviews

Cheers,
Raghu

I am not a professional reviewer, just did it as a hobby - meaning that I never got paid for any reviews. Reviewed for www.soundstage.com since 2004 and then Hifitoday.com for a couple of years. I also considered 6moons briefly but dropped out because good quality photography of the equipment was also a prerequisite for a reviewer, and I could only take quick phone based photos. I also considered stereophile when they moved their editorial offices to NYC, and I was visiting NYC often as I had home across the river in NJ. However, I moved back to India permanently due to some personal reasons.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
This thread is very informative. My experience of Indian hifi equipment manufacturers was limited to Cadence and Norge in the 90s. Glad to see that other manufacturers have emerged since then. I really hope that these manufactures get their marketing and branding act together. There is so much good tech that is begging for better marketing.

I'm using their Class a power amp for about a year or so .I'm also using the same amp to watch movies hence in some ways it's a dual purpose one. It's coupled with a parasound pre and harbeth p3esr.
Cheers

Last edited:
I am not a professional reviewer, just did it as a hobby - meaning that I never got paid for any reviews. Reviewed for www.soundstage.com since 2004 and then Hifitoday.com for a couple of years. I also considered 6moons briefly but dropped out because good quality photography of the equipment was also a prerequisite for a reviewer, and I could only take quick phone based photos. I also considered stereophile when they moved their editorial offices to NYC, and I was visiting NYC often as I had home across the river in NJ. However, I moved back to India permanently due to some personal reasons.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi Sidvee,

Not everyone has the skill to describe clearly and in an entertaining way, the auditory sensations, the emotional impact of a great piece of music played on a system and then wax eloquently on what a particular part of the chain/system under review does well (or not), in a honest way.

I can only imagine the stresses of balancing the trust of readers and the expectations of the manufacturers would be huge. (wisdom?)

However it is evident that even respected reviewers in the west have not been reviewing much of Chi -Fi, whatever the reason. There are reviews of mobile phones, cars and other consumer objects galore (Gadgets Now , NDTV etc) But nothing on Indian made Audio equipment. Please correct me if I am mistaken in this belief.

Maybe it’s time for some talented enthusiasts in the forum, like you to start reviewing Indy-fi? (some self reliance) starting with HFV.

No one else is doing it that I can see and best if all, it would be WFH!

Edit:
I realized I have not mentioned other essential competencies that might be required of a reviewer like technical knowledge of the equipments and their manufacture, ability to balance objective measurement in performance with subjective opinions,
A love of music would be a given? But a broad pallette would be an advantage to speak to readers with wide ranging musical tastes.
This being the age of video, the written word alone may not work? Darko, Paul PS, Steve G and others have large followings.
If all this seems daunting to me this is the reason why I will never be a reviewer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sidvee,

Not everyone has the skill to describe clearly and in an entertaining way, the auditory sensations, the emotional impact of a great piece of music played on a system and then wax eloquently on what a particular part of the chain/system under review does well (or not), in a honest way.

I can only imagine the stresses of balancing the trust of readers and the expectations of the manufacturers would be huge. (wisdom?)

However it is evident that even respected reviewers in the west have not been reviewing much of Chi -Fi, whatever the reason. There are reviews of mobile phones, cars and other consumer objects galore (Gadgets Now , NDTV etc) But nothing on Indian made Audio equipment. Please correct me if I am mistaken in this belief.

Maybe it’s time for some talented enthusiasts in the forum, like you to start reviewing Indy-fi? (some self reliance) starting with HFV.

No one else is doing it that I can see and best if all, it would be WFH!
Hi Goldenears,
We already attempted trying to review Indian made Hifi via a webzine - https://www.hifitoday.com/thiyaga-h...ier-ms-610-loudspeakers-thallam-audio-cables/
However we could not sustain the momentum due to various reasons like, non-availability of equipment in a timely manner, Non-willingness of mfrs. to provide samples for reviews, Logistics etc.
Cheers,
Sid

Great review Sidvee,
I wish i had read this review before I got a Hegel H300.
Logistic challenges in India? I get it, but I am surprised to hear that manufacturers are reluctant for free publicity and opportunity to market their products better.

Great review Sidvee,
I wish i had read this review before I got a Hegel H300.
Logistic challenges in India? I get it, but I am surprised to hear that manufacturers are reluctant for free publicity and opportunity to market their products better.
Yes it was very difficult/almost impossible to get most Indian manufacturers to loan equipment for reviews. I had to keep following up with them continually, even though their only cost was shipping the products (Unlike many other on-line magazines, Hifitoday never asked for any advertisements either and all our writers including me did this as a hobby with no remuneration - I know for a fact that if a manufacturer has to get a review in 6 moons he/she has to sign up for advertising).
I remember exchanging at-least 30-40 emails/10-15 phone calls over a period of 6 months with one big and established Indian manufacturer, to which I got about 3-4 return e-mails and no product, so I stopped in frustration. Each and every review that was published in Hifitoday took at-least a month's worth of correspondence before the equipment actually arrived, and I could never be sure what equipment would arrive till it actually showed up. Many times, I found it easier to deal with foreign manufacturers through their Indian distributors, at-least they were more responsive and adhered to time lines etc. Also regarding logistics, we had writers in place in most major metros so at most the transport was across town.
Anyways it was fun while it lasted but trying to review Audio equipment (Indian or otherwise) in India in a professional manner is not an easy task and will test one's patience.
Cheers,
Sid

Did you have an idea if the number of readers of Hifitoday?
or better question: did the manufacturers know this ?

I have a feeling this attitude has been a stumbling block to all the “make in India” efforts in history. Mahatma Gandhi Probably had the most success with KhadI. He modelled it, made it, wore it. It’s still around 70 years on.

But coming back to Indian HiFi. What’s your take on how its going to progress from here? There are not many people who have dealt with them so much, (even though it was frustrating)

Maybe some of them are in this forum and could share their thoughts on the issue?

I realized I have not mentioned other essential competencies that might be required of a reviewer like technical knowledge of the equipments and their manufacture, ability to balance objective measurement in performance with subjective opinions,
A love of music would be a given? But a broad pallette would be an advantage to speak to readers with wide ranging musical tastes.
This being the age of video, the written word alone may not work? Darko, Paul PS, Steve G and others have large followings.
If all this seems daunting to me this is the reason why I will never be a reviewer!
Forget reviews. Even customer stories and feedback are hard to find.
I mean local customer stories. HFV is one such place, but there's a bit of searching to do.
This holds true for both Indian and imported brands.
Cheers,
Raghu

I have a feeling this attitude has been a stumbling block to all the “make in India” efforts in history. Mahatma Gandhi Probably had the most success with KhadI. He modelled it, made it, wore it. It’s still around 70 years on.

But coming back to Indian HiFi. What’s your take on how its going to progress from here? There are not many people who have dealt with them so much, (even though it was frustrating)

Maybe some of them are in this forum and could share their thoughts on the issue?
My opening line to any manufacturer/distributor/dealer was - "I am a reviewer for Hifitoday, and the review of your product, when published will be linked to our sister site HFV forum which has 50,000 members". Evidently the potential to get 100,000 eye balls on their product was not enough enticement.
An Indian Audio Industry professional once told me that majority of distributors in India are traders, they do not have any specific enthusiasm for the products they sell except for the margin. So the need to advertise their products, even if it was free of cost, in the form of a review - was too much effort.
Regarding Indian Hifi (especially stereo), it will be limited to niche audience (and I suspect majority of them are members here), perhaps HT will have better traction, but even that in a limited fashion relative to the population we have.
Anyways, there were always exceptions to this and that resulted in what ever reviews we have been able to publish.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Maybe with the new reality of the pandemic, limiting opportunities for safe auditioning, reliable and competent reviews will make a return soon.
As initiative on this from manufacturers and retailers seems unlikely, demand for professional reviews may come from the best possible place: Audio enthusiasts, audiophiles, musicians etc?
i know I enjoy reading well written reviews.

Lyrita/@viren is on HFV and is very responsive. I don't think AP is on the forum.
Scale also matters.
How much of HFV would be interested in tubes, like really?
Cheers,
Raghu

@sidvee, do you want to give it another try with videos this time? I have a feeling video reviews (with demo especially) could get wider response (from viewers and consequently the trade) in today’s era.
Thanks Sachin,
The issue is not with the delivery or creation of the content, it lies with the object for which content has to be created, which is not available easily. So while I am sure video or you tube reviews may garner wider audience, the very item for which the review has to be done is not available, and that was my point.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Sachin,
The issue is not with the delivery or creation of the content, it lies with the object for which content has to be created, which is not available easily. So while I am sure video or you tube reviews may garner wider audience, the very item for which the review has to be done is not available, and that was my point.
Cheers,
Sid

Yes Sid, I understood that. The logic here is: if the videos garner substantial viewership, then the manufacturers and distributors might be more interested in providing their gear for reviews. You might have to seed it initially with equipment borrowed from fellow listeners, or record it at their place. Of course one can’t be sure of this happening... and not till one tries. So, the ‘delivery and creation‘ of the content might not be the issue, but might be part of the solution.

A ‘neutral reviewer’ (as against ‘an influencer’) will have to first demonstrate enough ‘decision impact’ on potential customers. As compared to magazines, a Youtube video is more potent here as the ‘comments’ section allows viewers to post their reactions, interact etc - all in a manner visible to the manufacturers/distributors who can palpably see the impact.

I also see a possible way the forum could get involved. How about setting up a HFV Youtube channel - the postings on which can only be done by the moderators? There could be an approved panel of FM reviewers who commission their video reviews in consultation with the moderators under agreed guidelines.

Marking the mods @captrajesh, @Nikhil, @arj, @Naturelover too on this. Kindly read this suggestion in the context of the discussion in the posts above. Other FMs could also state their view on the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back