Indian Hi-fi Equipment/Accessories comparable with best in class international products

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Making a good quality video needs expensive equipment and good editing skills and a proper room.
And if it's about audio equipment it can't be like a randomly shot video
So having such equipment and skills wont be feasible for one individual, let alone many.
In that sense a written review is much better option as it will be able the reviewer to put down his thoughts without much problem.
The issue of getting equipment stays same for both kind of style of reviews.
Ultimately you can try till a certain level, after that you have to leave it as you have family and work to look after too

Making a good quality video needs expensive equipment and good editing skills and a proper room.
So having such equipment and skills wont be feasible for one individual, let alone many.
In that sense a written review is much better option as it will be able the reviewer to put down his thoughts without much problem.
Ultimately you can try till a certain level, after that you have to leave it as you have family and work to look after too
You forgot the most important thing!!
The confidence to talk into a camera/mic and come out coherent enough for the audience to get the story :D
Just kiddin'
Cheers,
Raghu

You forgot the most important thing!!
The confidence to talk into a camera and come out coherent enough for the audience to get the story :D
Just kiddin'
Cheers,
Raghu

Very true about that
Absolutely important
If it was so easy to be in front of camera and talk to audience what else was needed .

And if one has to jump through so many hoops and endure pain for doing a review, if it were me, I would definitely expect a monetary benefit to do all of this. If no monetary benefit, then one must be on a different plane or just plain nuts or both! :p

I’d have expected the naysayers to be quick in responding :). And those who see a possibility will mull in their minds, or park the idea before reaching a conclusion. I’d just leave it out there in the open. There might always be someone who doesn’t think through constraints... today or later some day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d have expected the naysayers to be quick in responding :). And those who see a possibility will mull in their minds, or park the idea before reaching a conclusion. I’d just leave it out there in the open. There might always be someone who doesn’t think through constraints... today or later some day.
I do know a person who is cooking up something along these lines.
But it's too early to comment.

Cheers,
Raghu

1. Manufacturer- Shaan

Brand Name: PeeCeeBee

2. Equipment categories made: (try and use categories as per HFV sub-forums): Amplifier, Pre Amplifier

3. Price range: Entry, Budget, Mid-priced, High-end, Luxury (for eg for speakers these will correspond roughly to INR <25k, 25-75k, 75k-2L, 2L-6L, >6L respectively - or use your own judgment here): Entry Level and Mid Priced, 60k to 1L

4. Product/s you owned/heard extensively: Heard Extensively and continue to do so.

5. Price advantage against comparable products from international brands: state in percentage lower than: At least 50% very conservatively.

6. What do you like best about these products: Add specs/design/build/performance/service - whatever applies, and elaborate: Biggest USP is GREAT SOUND. Custom Built w.r.t. power, class(A or AB), dimension of your rack ... can be made to match speaker requirements. Handmade, Directly from designer's workshop.

Maximum Power – 50WRMS/90WRMS into 8Ω/4Ω load with +/-35V PSU
Maximum allowed PSU voltage for 4Ω operation – +/-35V (with default clamp diodes and BD BJTs for Q9/Q10) and +/-42V (with higher voltage rated clamp diodes and MJE BJTs for Q9/Q10)
Frequency response (simulated) – ~2Hz to ~800KHz (-3dB)
AC gain – 23 (27dB)
DC gain – Unity
Input level for 50WRMS into 8Ω – 1VRMS
THD 100Hz 10W – 0.0005%, 1KHz 10W – 0.001%, 10KHz 10W – 0.002%
Slew Rate – 100V/uS
SNR – >100dB
Offset variation – +/-10mV

7. Comparable international brands in design and/or performance: Price wise Marantz, Cambridge Audio etc. But it easily sounds very hi-end.

8. Manufacturer’s Website or other contact details: https://www.facebook.com/shaanpeeceebee/

9. Any other information (not covered above):
Here are some user's reviews of the amplifier -
They now have a website https://peeceebee.com/

Yes Sid, I understood that. The logic here is: if the videos garner substantial viewership, then the manufacturers and distributors might be more interested in providing their gear for reviews.
I can see where that's coming from: Automobile video bloggers perhaps! Considering that the whole exercise is done purely out of passion: Receiving some equipment on loan from a manufacturer, putting it through its paces for intense listening sessions, penning down one's thoughts in a structured manner, proofreading et al is exercise in itself; a huge one at that. Notwithstanding, there are passionate people like Sidvee who undertake such endeavors. Writing a review is one thing; making a video of the whole thing is another. Not that it can't be done; Just presenting my perspective.

Having said that, it's still a chicken and egg situation. Only, in this case, the chicken has to deliver the egg first; to kickstart the process.

How about setting up a HFV Youtube channel - the postings on which can only be done by the moderators? There could be an approved panel of FM reviewers who commission their video reviews in consultation with the moderators under agreed guidelines.

Marking the mods @captrajesh, @Nikhil, @arj, @Naturelover too on this. Kindly read this suggestion in the context of the discussion in the posts above.
Good idea. We have an open mind. Let some quality content come in.

I can see where that's coming from: Automobile video bloggers perhaps! Considering that the whole exercise is done purely out of passion: Receiving some equipment on loan from a manufacturer, putting it through its paces for intense listening sessions, penning down one's thoughts in a structured manner, proofreading et al is exercise in itself; a huge one at that.
Well said Captain, any proper written review of audio equipment is an intense exercise and adding video to it makes it even more intense. However nothing is impossible, there are a few video review sites operating.
Anyways if there is adequate demand, I am sure this can be done successfully whether it is pro-bono or paid.
Cheers,
Sid

Well said Captain, any proper written review of audio equipment is an intense exercise and adding video to it makes it even more intense. However nothing is impossible, there are a few video review sites operating.
Anyways if there is adequate demand, I am sure this can be done successfully whether it is pro-bono or paid.
Cheers,
Sid

on the topic of reviewers, I came across this interesting correspondence. It’s from a link shared by Mr.Prem on another discussion thread. (http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html) Fascinating stuff!

http://www.high-endaudio.com/reviewers.html

So as not to reinvent the wheel totally this may be of help for reviewers and their audiences: https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

In the Indian context, there is a dearth of information.
We see many folks who jump on to HFV just to get basic doubts cleared.

A video channel that'll do even a product introduction is a good start.
- here's XYZ product
- typical application is ....
- here are the underlying tech stuff ....
- brief listening experience (if possible/applicable) ....
- caveats/gotchas (if any) ....

It need not be a full blown review like we read in mags or sites like What HiFi or Stereophile or anything.
Of course distributors/dealers need to be proactive and be part of this game.

Recently saw a short intro/review of Saregama-Caravan by one of our members @ktks1
Nice, short and informative. This in itself will educate a lot of folks wanting to enter into this mystified game.
@ktks1
You may want to share your YouTube handle if you think it's OK.

Cheers,
Raghu

In the Indian context, there is a dearth of information.
We see many folks who jump on to HFV just to get basic doubts cleared.

A video channel that'll do even a product introduction is a good start.
- here's XYZ product
- typical application is ....
- here are the underlying tech stuff ....
- brief listening experience (if possible/applicable) ....
- caveats/gotchas (if any) ....

It need not be a full blown review like we read in mags or sites like What HiFi or Stereophile or anything.
Of course distributors/dealers need to be proactive and be part of this game.

Recently saw a short intro/review of Saregama-Caravan by one of our members @ktks1
Nice, short and informative. This in itself will educate a lot of folks wanting to enter into this mystified game.
@ktks1
You may want to share your YouTube handle if you think it's OK.

Cheers,
Raghu
Hi All,
I am a beginner and here are my views.

1. Most of the people just wanted to enjoy music. They are not much interested in details etc. for eg, most of the people want a good music system either for music or movies(2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 etc etc). Take example of mobile - no one is interested to know which ram is used, which camera is used etc etc. Mobile should work. Thats all. Same with music.

2. The moment someone tries to understand things, there is no end to it. Earlier i knew only about speakers and amp only. Now i came to know that there is pre amp and power amp, network streamer, dac etc etc and what not.

3. I understand that music is complex and different people have different preference. But common people dont have so much time to understand these things. Imagine if someone puts 10 vidoes or mobile review(speed, ram, camera, battery, software etc etc), then no one will watch them. people want one review video which will just summarize. similar should be the case with music system.

3. Things should be simplified. Thats what companies like sony,bose etc have done. And hence people go and buy them. Of course, Other reason are also there.But this is also one of the reason.

4. Now a days, lot of people in small cities have iphone. Which means people have money. And they are ready to spend. But they want simple thing. Some company should simplify these things.

Regards
Navjyot.

Hi All,

1. Most of the people just wanted to enjoy music. They are not much interested in details etc. for eg, most of the people want a good music system either for music or movies(2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 etc etc). Take example of mobile - no one is interested to know which ram is used, which camera is used etc etc. Mobile should work. Thats all. Same with music.

2. The moment someone tries to understand things, there is no end to it. Earlier i knew only about speakers and amp only. Now i came to know that there is pre amp and power amp, network streamer, dac etc etc and what not.

3. I understand that music is complex and different people have different preference. But common people dont have so much time to understand these things. Imagine if someone puts 10 vidoes or mobile review(speed, ram, camera, battery, software etc etc), then no one will watch them. people want one review video which will just summarize. similar should be the case with music system.

3. Things should be simplified. Thats what companies like sony,bose etc have done. And hence people go and buy them. Of course, Other reason are also there.But this is also one of the reason.

4. Now a days, lot of people in small cities have iphone. Which means people have money. And they are ready to spend. But they want simple thing. Some company should simplify these things.

Regards
Navjyot.

Agreed Navjyot. What you’ve profiled is an ‘average consumer’ - in our case, an average music/movie buff who is shopping to get the job done.

However, there’s a customer segment - ‘an audiophile end user’ - who values and is ready to put money down for a more engaging, revealing and enriching musical (or movie) experience (that may even be customised/personalised to one’s tastes) and is willing to invest some time and effort in developing a deeper understanding while exploring choices and evaluation - in making a more ‘involved purchase‘.

This may be a niche but is a a sizeable, and growing segment. A brand that speaks to the larger market - like Sony/Bose, usually doesn’t appeal to it. They don’t like the fact that these brands don’t spell out specifications that affect performance. It’s a more discerning segment who believe they have (or want to develop) some understanding of ‘how good sounding music is reproduced’. We are talking about a ‘knowledge-seeking customer’. It is also a segment which believes a system of components gives them better results than a ‘one box’ solution. They are willing to (even eager to) do the system integration themselves.

And such a customer segment (HFV forum is a good representation of it) is unlikely to be satisfied by the product videos put out by the consumer electronics companies. Why, even the product pages/videos on most audiophile products companies’ websites are too sketchy for them. They need deeper insights. And that’s why they flock to the YouTube videos of international reviewers that provide them the same. As of now, there aren’t many/any YT channels by Indian reviewers that do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Regards
Navjyot.

Hi Navjyot,

Welcome !

I think in your post you have touched upon the distinguishing characteristics of those who join this forum.
They are not “most people“. As you have pointed out there are plenty of choices for those who want simple plug and play music or AV equipment. This is the main market for the big companies.

The pleasure of exploring, experiencing and learning from each other and from newly acquired HiFi components is something that I find valuable. There are threads that discuss in detail why this interest in high end audio is among a small group of people and why many people are perfectly happy listening to music they love on their cell phone speakers or small Bluetooth speakers. It could be all about the context and what matters to each of us.

Its true that some audio enthusiasts, music lovers and audiophiles move towards simpler set ups over time, but I get the feeling that many love the different components that they have carefully selected and bought, often at great effort and cost.

As in any other niche area, there are plenty of informative discussions on the relative importance of different components in an audio chain and how they impact on the audio quality and listening experience, but there is so much subjectivity and variability that one needs to decide for ourselves. Forums like this can help.

The laws of physics in electricity, electro magnetism, acoustics, interact with our senses and psyche in such a bewildering number of ways that it may be safe to opine that it could be a very interesting journey once you start looking beyond “simple audio solutions“ This is not to say that musical experience and enjoyment can not be achieved with basic or affordable equipment. I spent a Major part of my life with cheap audio equipment and have very fond memories of that phase of my life.

Happy exploring and learning.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back