Infinite baffle subwoofer

abhijitnath

Has anyone attempted to build these? I vaguely understand, but not well enough. Anyone who has gone through it and could give recommendations- really grateful!

Hi, are you talking about a HT or car audio implementation?
As for me, I stumbled onto the IB concept some months back when I realised that I cannot reach my intended performance level with retail products with my budget.
While I have not built one yet, I am sold on it and will build in the future. As of now, the only hurdle for me is the driver selection. I was looking for an easy way out but the drivers mentioned in the IB discussion and posts are not available here. Or at least I have not seen any. Is there anything specific that you want to talk about?

I was looking for a home solution- a basement subwoofer for an open living room setup. I've been stuck trying to find drivers and so on as well.

Have you looked into how many drivers you will need for your space? And what kind of IB implementation you will go with?
To pressurise a space like yours, I suggest you do not waste your time with driver size less than 18" and look into manifolds. Roughly speaking, it will be a cube (plywood/MDF or a combination of both) mounted on the basement ceiling with one side firing into your living room and the vertical faces of the cube will house the drivers. The idea is to mount drivers opposite to each other so they cancel out each other's movement. It is so much forgiving this way for the structural and mounting aspect of the subwoofer. And also you get increased output from the same opening surface area.
As for the drivers, I saw some videos on the box modelling software, winisd. Tried it for myself but nothing definite came out if it. I am not in a position to evaluate the drivers, yet. I was thinking of asking for help regarding driver selection on some forum before I saw your post.

Check out the PDF.

Attachments

• Infinite Baffle Subwoofer - Getting Started Guide for the DIY Community - CPiazza - v1.0 - May...pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back