Installing and accessing Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu on streaming stick

talespin

hi,

Note : I have tested Netflix for Indian/US content but not Amazon India
Netflix(Indian/US), Amazon(US), VUDU(US)

Someone asked how to install Amazon video app on Roku stick, making a post so it would benefit others.

There are two things
1. Installing apps
2. Accessing content(Indian, US, UK)

1. Installing channels/apps

To install apps on Roku you require Roku US account(while creating account you should appear to Roku as you are creating account from US), if you simply create Roku account through Indian ISP it will create account but wont allow you to add channels/apps like Netflix, Amazon , VUDU, HULU, HBO etc.

Some people say using a US DNS will work but it didn't work for me. I used a VPN(you don't need to buy, simply register for a free trial with some reliable VPN provider) use "F*** Y** google" google you have become greedy :(

Once you setup VPN on PC or Router, setup Roku accounts, also it will ask you for US address and Card info. You do not require that info and never put in anything. See if there is a skip button or open new browser window and login with username, password you have just created. Add all the channels/apps you want.

Yon can remove VPN, any proxy and you should be able to access Indian content(I have tested Netflix for Indian content but not Amazon India), i'll test for Amazon India and let you know.

2. Accessing content(US, UK)

Roku and some apps use hardcoded google DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

First of all you would require a DNS service that allows you to switch regions. Use google you will find many. But they cost like $4-5/month

Second your router should have option to enter commands or IP tables.

Roku stick doesn't have anything to modify DNS entries from within, so you will need to setup your router. Some people say block google DNS but that didn't work for me, you should take any DNS query going to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and route it to DNS defined by you. This way you should be able to access most US/UK content.
But Netflix is hard to beat as they are constantly blocking VPN, DNS. You will require some additional settings like creating IP tables or dnsmasq entries.

Be mindful when you provide hardcoded DNS in router all your DNS queries will go to the DNS your have provided in your router, not to your ISP DNS.

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - DNS proxy provider you want to use, below entries will only redirect Netflix, roku, vudu and amazon to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX all other DNS queries will go to your ISP DNS.

entries under dnsmasq
server=/netflix.com/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/netflix.net/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/nflximg.com/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/nflxvideo.net/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/roku.com/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/vudu.com/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/vvond.net/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/amazon.com/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/amazon.co.uk/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Last edited:
I did not use VPN while registering my account on a Roku stick from India. I can use Netflix India as is just fine along with youtube. But other apps I do get error saying not available in your region. Seems from @talespin post that DNS tweaking can open up lot of things. Thanks for sharing, will check that.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back