jamo C605/ C607

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jamo Concert 8 (D830) and Jamo Concert 11 (D870) were, in my opinion, special speakers. Very, very nice and musically wonderful.

Unfortunately, I never owned them or had the pleasure of spending a great deal of time listening to them.

Only recently did I have the good fortune of listening to them for a brief time.

I'm not sure what you mean bny "quite immediate". But if you meant they're an "in-your-face" speaker, I didn't get that from the brief listen I had.

Overall, I thought they were great sounding speakers. Something special. I never got the impression they were short on layering and depth. But again, I didn't have much time with them.

Interestingly, the C807 and C809 are wonderful in depth and layering. Well recorded cello music, piano.......drums and percussion instruments reall stand out. The depth is so three dimensional.

the jamo 8, were really solidly built and I believe the Drivers were something special and different and not available now ( ?)

the Moderator of the singpore forum (Jason of echoloft.com) had done some extensive crossover modificatons on his jamo 8..apparently he cured a slightly peaked treble.

Last edited:
The Jamo Concert 8 (D830) and Jamo Concert 11 (D870) were, in my opinion, special speakers. Very, very nice and musically wonderful.

Unfortunately, I never owned them or had the pleasure of spending a great deal of time listening to them.

Only recently did I have the good fortune of listening to them for a brief time.

I'm not sure what you mean bny "quite immediate". But if you meant they're an "in-your-face" speaker, I didn't get that from the brief listen I had.

Overall, I thought they were great sounding speakers. Something special. I never got the impression they were short on layering and depth. But again, I didn't have much time with them.

Interestingly, the C807 and C809 are wonderful in depth and layering. Well recorded cello music, piano.......drums and percussion instruments reall stand out. The depth is so three dimensional.

Yes. They were very special speakers. The D 830/870 I have listened to them quite a bit and came away impressed all the time. It had a very crisp and slightly forward treble response which I actually enjoyed those days (2003). Not sure if I'd prefer it that way now. I kinda like the entire frequency response as part of the "same fabric". The scan speaks have spoiled me.

Nmytree, How would you rate the new concert series if you were to compare them to the D 830/870 ?

Yes. They were very special speakers. The D 830/870 I have listened to them quite a bit and came away impressed all the time. It had a very crisp and slightly forward treble response which I actually enjoyed those days (2003). Not sure if I'd prefer it that way now. I kinda like the entire frequency response as part of the "same fabric". The scan speaks have spoiled me.

Nmytree, How would you rate the new concert series if you were to compare them to the D 830/870 ?

Like I said earlier in this thread. I believe the C803, C807 and C809 are right up there with them. The build quality of these three models is very high (excluding real wood veeners) and the cabinets are very solid. All one has to do is take a good look, pick one up and feel the cabinets.

The treble in these three models is more refined than the C60 Series speakers. Slightly polite.....or laid back. But not too much. Very smooth and musical. Wonderful balance through out. Except for the C809 which can be low bass heavy in smaller rooms. But they were not designed for smaller rooms.

I only wish I had more time with the D830 and D870, so I could live with them and experience them in a much more useful manner.

I'd rather base my opinions on what my ears can hear than reviews written by some other bloke. I'm not sure what speakers he compared it with to give it a best in class award but to my ears, they just didn't sound as good as earlier jamo speakers. They didn't pass the knuckle test either - the cabinet sounded resonant and hollow.
I know this post is a while ago but is this chap basing some of his opinions with KNUCKLE TESTS??:lol:Thats the best ive heard in a while.What would he do if he was buying a car?......KICK THE TYRES:yahoo:

oneupmanship

Jesus was resurrected to save the world - and this idiot (I) was resurrected on a whim - well, since my resurrection, i have nothing to do but post a link to another forum and a member called TjVM3

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167882&page=2
That was a nasty one:indifferent14:If somebody writes on another forum i dont think anybody should point it out in any way for everyone to see.not that i'm saying NMYTREE wrote anything wrong or out of context.This to me was somebody who had nothing left to offer this thread & thought NMYTREE got the better of him or something!:mad:some people!!!

Re: oneupmanship

That was a nasty one:indifferent14:If somebody writes on another forum i dont think anybody should point it out in any way for everyone to see.not that i'm saying NMYTREE wrote anything wrong or out of context.This to me was somebody who had nothing left to offer this thread & thought NMYTREE got the better of him or something!:mad:some people!!!

if you look carefully, i had nothing to offer ab initio, nothing to offer in media res, and nothing to offer at the end - just that i troll, looking to pick up a fight:)
but hey, it takes all sorts to make up this world! - and you do sound like judge supremo! - like i said, enjoy your role in this scheme of things, and i will enjoy my slimy existence.:)

if you look carefully, i had nothing to offer ab initio, nothing to offer in media res, and nothing to offer at the end - just that i troll, looking to pick up a fight:)
but hey, it takes all sorts to make up this world! - and you do sound like judge supremo! - like i said, enjoy your role in this scheme of things, and i will enjoy my slimy existence.:)
ERM.....OKAY??:eek

I know this post is a while ago but is this chap basing some of his opinions with KNUCKLE TESTS??:lol:Thats the best ive heard in a while.What would he do if he was buying a car?......KICK THE TYRES:yahoo:

maladjusted - knuckle rap tests dont tell you everything. But cabinet construction does have a huge role to play in delivering sound. And a rap with the good old knuckles will give you an idea about how the speaker may sound.

It also takes all sorts to fxcx up the world also so maybe you like your role in that scheme of things;)By the way thanks for the moniker:D

maladjusted - knuckle rap tests dont tell you everything. But cabinet construction does have a huge role to play in delivering sound. And a rap with the good old knuckles will give you an idea about how the speaker may sound.
Come on,so you're saying unless a speaker has a dense and high quality cabinate it wont pass as a decent speaker??Cabinate quality has a role to play esp. in highend gear.But what if you dont break your knuckles on a "mediocre" $800 pair,does that mean they dont have a role to play in a good midrange system?Ive had budget speakers with heavier cabinates than they're higher end counterparts and the higher end ones still sounded the way they should.But it does'nt make budget speakers sound bad.I agree a quality heavier more dense cabinate will create a tighter soundstage,but to say it plays a huge role in actual quality sound is verrry debatable & misleading.First you would have to compare cost over quality and then.................:)

Come on,so you're saying unless a speaker has a dense and high quality cabinate it wont pass as a decent speaker??Cabinate quality has a role to play esp. in highend gear.But what if you dont break your knuckles on a "mediocre" $800 pair,does that mean they dont have a role to play in a good midrange system?Ive had budget speakers with heavier cabinates than they're higher end counterparts and the higher end ones still sounded the way they should.But it does'nt make budget speakers sound bad.I agree a quality heavier more dense cabinate will create a tighter soundstage,but to say it plays a huge role in actual quality sound is verrry debatable & misleading.First you would have to compare cost over quality and then.................:)

Maladjusted - I dont know how many posts of reignofchaos you have read. But having spent some time on this forum I am aware that he is somebody who knows his way around audio systems.

Like I said, a knuckle rap test in and of itself does not need to be conclusive. But it is one of the factors. Undeniably.

It also takes all sorts to fxcx up the world also so maybe you like your role in that scheme of things;)By the way thanks for the moniker:D

hi maladjusted,

i do identify with lucifer and the dark side of the world - there has to a balance between good and evil, and there cannot just be good in the world - that would go unappreciated!:)

and hey, it is because of (evil) people like I that you end up looking good - and i do enjoy my kinship with the prince of darkness! No, truly!

regds

yeah, Jamos will not hurt you knuckles!!:D

listen to what jamo has to say about their knuckle-sparing speakers-

"C 809
Floorstanding Speaker
Soundwise, the entire C 80 family is characterized by its genuinely authentic acoustics. The Concert series always conveys highly detailed and beautifully resonant sound across the entire frequency spectrum. The C 809 adds to these impressive performance credentials an arresting appearance, either in dramatic black ash or in dark apple."

those knuckle sparing cabinets are responsible for that particular Jamo "sound", and is so loved by some people that they have multiple Jamo systems in one house.

of course, this begs this question - is a loudspeaker system meant to recreate the original audio event (given all infirmities inherent in such an exercise) or colour the event and produce a bastard sound?

well, all in my (dark) HO;)

edit - think carefully, maladjusted, before you deliver your riposte - the matter is more complicated than oneupmanship

and, i suppose, if this thread goes on any longer, all jamo owners will question their personal decision in plighting their troth with these "knuckle-sparing" loudspeakers;)

Last edited:
Maladjusted - I dont know how many posts of reignofchaos you have read. But having spent some time on this forum I am aware that he is somebody who knows his way around audio systems.

Like I said, a knuckle rap test in and of itself does not need to be conclusive. But it is one of the factors. Undeniably.
OK point taken,but i still would'nt say these so called "knuckle tests" have a HUGE role to play.;)ALSO i never said R.O.C does'nt know his way around audio systems.I'm 27 years buying,mixing,matching & fitting/instaling audio.SO the knuckle test thing does'nt mean much in my book!

Last edited:

"C 809
Floorstanding Speaker
Soundwise, the entire C 80 family is characterized by its genuinely authentic acoustics. The Concert series always conveys highly detailed and beautifully resonant sound across the entire frequency spectrum. The C 809 adds to these impressive performance credentials an arresting appearance, either in dramatic black ash or in dark apple."

those knuckle sparing cabinets are responsible for that particular Jamo "sound", and is so loved by some people that they have multiple Jamo systems in one house.

of course, this begs this question - is a loudspeaker system meant to recreate the original audio event (given all infirmities inherent in such an exercise) or colour the event and produce a bastard sound?

edit - think carefully, maladjusted, before you deliver your riposte - the matter is more complicated than oneupmanship

and, i suppose, if this thread goes on any longer, all jamo owners will question their personal decision in plighting their troth with these "knuckle-sparing" loudspeakers;)
I think im getting what your saying,maybe saying oneupmanship was a bit before the line.speakers weather they crack knuckles or they dont all have a place in this void of audioism?;)By the way whats in the chalice in your avatar?(joke)

Last edited:
People who truely know their way around audio systems, don't typically contradict themselves a few times, in describing comparisons.

His description and comparison of the C803 was highly shallow, brief and filled with contradictions. Yet, he would have us believe we should take his work for it; based on a very poor effort of description and comparison.

You have to make a better effort and be more thorough and indepth, when making comparisons. And avoid silly contradictions if you're trying to sell everyone on the concept that all of Jamos C60 and C80 Series speakers are cheap main stream garbage.

Listen, personal preferences and personal is what it's all about. That's understood. I've never had a problem with anyone who actually made an honest effort with proper placement, good components, in a good acoustic environment and simply doesn't like a speaker.

But when someone makes an all encompassing judgement and criticism of two whole speaker series and models by Jamo (C60 and C80). And it's based on a either very little time spent with one specific speaker model, in a not so ideal situation; you have to take that judgement and criticism with a gallon of grains of salt and dismiss the person's comments.

I can tell when someone has had significant time and experience with a speaker (whether Jamo or any other speaker), in a good set up and correctly placed; by the way they decribe what they heard.

But what I have encountered on several of these internet forums, are people who obviously have had little to no experience with one speaker model (from the C60 and C80 Series). Or people who had a very brief experience with one Jamo speaker model that was not in the C60 or C80 Seris; and they attempt to stereotype all of Jamo's speaker models and series....based on that one, brief listening session; in a piss-poor environment/situation with piss-poor commpents feeding the Jamos the music.

Furthermore, the C607 are certainly not the best speakers in the world. We all know that. But for their price point and for the musicality they convey; they are one hell of wonderful sounding speaker.

As for the knuckle test. I just got up, went into the other room and rapped my knuckle on the C607 and C603 (which are not hooked up right now, because we're having new carpeting installed). And low and behold, I hear no echo, no resonance, no hollowness. What I do hear is a thud. In fact, when you look inside the cabinets of these two models, you see two very thick, black sheets of acoustic foam lining the interior of one side panel and the upper back panel.

Make no mistake, I'm not trying to pretend these cabinets (c603 and C607) are of the highest quality. Of course they are not. When you take a good look and rap a knuckle on them, they are in fact less dense than the C803, C807 and C809. But they are certainly well built and very solid in the their own right and in their own price level. The C803, C807 and C809 cabinets are like dense rocks. Those cabinets are extremely solid, very well built, very heavy and return a dead as a door nail thud.

Again, I actually own these speakers. Have had them in my home for well over a year, now. I have them well placed, matched with high quality components and in good rooms. I know what they are capable of. I know how they sound and how they react to quality components and proper placement.

In the last ten years I have had many speakers, from many manufactors come through my home. And I got rid of every speaker which didn't meet my needs for musicality. I have no real loyalty to any brand, unless the components or speakers deliver what I'm looking for. If a component or speaker does not, I sell them. I've done it many times before, in the last ten years. And if these Jamo speakers didn't deliver what I'm looking for, they would have been gone.....a long time ago.

But they do. And for their price, for the wonderful level of musicality and melody they deliver and for the amazing and favorable way they respond to higher quality components and proper placement; they are an enormous bargain.

So I try to share my experiences with and thoughts of these Jamo speakers.

Because if my sharing helps someone else spend less and get more musicality, as the Jamos have delivered for me; then, I feel like I've been helpful.

I came to this forum to see what people thought of jamos c60 concert series.I was hoping to find people with genuine hands-on experience.But if some have other series from jamo they tend to assume the other series are the same be it good or bad,I hav to agree with nmytree:Only review if one has experience with that exact model,dont base findings on simular speakers from the same company.And there is no way i would let a seemingly hollow cabinate put me off buying until i heard them and then compared them at their price-point.

NMytree and Maladjusted - I think it is this overt defensiveness about the Jamo speakers that sets off others who have heard better speakers for the money.

I think you might have read my earlier posts to know that I do love the Concert series speakers and consider the C405 to be a particularly good bargain at the Rs. 40,000 price range. But I have known people trashing this speaker as well. That is up to them. After all I have heard people describing Polk and Paradigm speakers as musical when I cannot put myself in the same room as these speakers. Again, no offense meant to owners of these speakers, but that is just my preference.

As long as it remains personal and just a opinion, I dont see why anybody should have a problem with it.

Instead of tackling the subjectivity in an opinion, I think we must just confine ourselves to whatever little objectivity is left in it. For example measurements, concrete comparisons etc. That would make for interesting discussion whereas what is happening in this thread may not be that very productive.

Just my 2 rupees.

In closing I would only ask you guys to think about the price at which the C600 and C800 speakers are sold at and see if you find those to be the absolutely best value for money speakers at that range. Now this question may not be all that subjective - considering there is actual money involved. At the same time 'value for money' is completely dependent on perception. So that part is subjective. Oh well, I am sure you get what I mean....:)

Peace - to the angels as well as the dark ones ;)

"C 809
Floorstanding Speaker

:lol::lol:

I think you're taking that Jamo quote a wee-bit out of context, lol.

Jamo uses the word in a manner that means .......

" evocative: serving to bring to mind " ......." Having a lasting presence or effect; enduring " ......." Strongly reminiscent; evocative "

" plangency: having the character of a loud deep sound "

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but, every speaker/speaker cabinet on the market has resonance and every manufactor/speaker does......as you so generously phrased it........bastards the sound:lol:

Not only in the cabinet, but also in the crossover design and settings.

The concept that there are speakers that don't, is laughable. And naive.

All speaker manufactors "voice " their speakers a certain, specific way. Even the one's that proclaim the "Ultimate in Transparency and Neutrality".

Jamo speakers are no different. Difference is, Jamo's speakers are highly musical and deliver sweet, engaging melody ......like very few on the market do.

Go rap your knuckles against some more cabinets, then, rap those very same knuckles....against your head;)

Then let me know when was the last time, that you yourself rapped your knuckles against a Jamo C60 or C80 Series speaker.

I'll sit back and enjoy the beautiful music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back