Jamo Speakers S406 + Marantz SR3001

metalbandit

Hi,

I a planning to go for the Jamo S406 with the Marantz SR3001 AV Reciever. My usage pattern will be Music (mostly Rock, Metal & Trance) & Movies in equal proportion. I plan to add the Subwoofer, and Center and Surround Speakers later from the same Jamo range. The dealer has quoted a total price of 47 K for the entire Jamo package and the Marantz Amp. What other options can I look at? My total budget is 50K.

I am also planning to go for a widescreen TV (budget 50K). What would be the best model on this budget? I have previewed the Hitachi L32A01 AU at about 54K.

The Cambridge Audio 340D with the Mordaunt Short Avant series of speakers could be an option to explore at this price range. Although this CA amplifier will only support a 5.1 system, if that matters.

My room is 12 x 10. Will the tower speakers be excessive for this room size? Can I go for bookshelves instead of the towers? How do the Mordaunt Short speakers handle heavy metal and trance as compared to the Jamo 406?

Dear Metalbandit.

For your kind of Music , buy an Stereo amplifier and speakers like JBL or Klipsch . Most of the english speakers doesnt sound nice for rock .,

The Jamo 406 you have mentioned is a hopeless one ( according to me) , i have listened them in Kolkatta and i was shocked to see Jamo has manufactured such a speaker .

I think you have lot other options for Rs.50K

david.

MetalBandit:

Most of the 32 inch TVs come around 50K. Hitachi is very good as is Samsung, Panasonic, and Pioneer.

Also take a look at Akai. They have four models now - 19, 26 32, and 40 inches. Their prices are very good, and they give 7 year warranty. They also have DCDi by Faroudja.

David: I would agree with you; I didn't find the Jamo 406 a representative of their reputation, when I played my own music. The dealer said that it would be because they were connected to the Yamaha RX-V361 which is a 6.1 amp and not a dedicated stereo amp. Then I listened to the Jamo 606 towers with a Yamaha Stereo Amp, and there was a vast difference in the sound. Although they cost more than twice the 406, its definitely worth the investment. He suggested me to hear out the S Series, which I'll be doing soon.

Venkat: Thanks a ton for your inputs. I'll definitely consider Samsung, Panasonic & Pioneer, although I'm not sure about the prospects of auditioning an Akai LCD. Do you know anyone who has gone for Akai and is satisfied with the overall performance?

hi for Jamo try the e series which is far far better then the S series , for exp 660 680,750, 770, 850 etc.........this will do justice to the music you like !!!!!
but looking at the room specs i think E660 will be perfect ! Its a 3way speaker and a compact floor stander way too small by S series . I think this will satisfy your demand.........as far as amp is concerned try MARANTZ 7001 with e660 !
good luck

MetalBandit:

I have been using a 32 inch Akai Bravo since December 2007. I have used it with my Oppo 983 and Onkyo 875. The TV has performed admirably giving very clear video.

The internal amplification and speakers of the TV also work very well. As I mentioned in one thread, I was shocked one day when I heard some part of the audio literally coming out of my left wall. I realised the TV speakers were actually 'throwing' the sound far beyond their capacity. This is the holographic sound projection that audiophiles lust after. Mind you my walls are padded and do not reflect or echo. All this was from some movie I was watching on Dish TV !!!!

Hi Metalbandit

Though the marantz amplifier are very good , they are not that great for ROCK and METAL . you can also try harman kardon amp with JBL speakers and also try E series JAMO . Its better then the 406 or 606.

david.

David: I would agree with you; I didn't find the Jamo 406 a representative of their reputation, when I played my own music. The dealer said that it would be because they were connected to the Yamaha RX-V361 which is a 6.1 amp and not a dedicated stereo amp. Then I listened to the Jamo 606 towers with a Yamaha Stereo Amp, and there was a vast difference in the sound. Although they cost more than twice the 406, its definitely worth the investment. He suggested me to hear out the S Series, which I'll be doing soon.

Venkat: Thanks a ton for your inputs. I'll definitely consider Samsung, Panasonic & Pioneer, although I'm not sure about the prospects of auditioning an Akai LCD. Do you know anyone who has gone for Akai and is satisfied with the overall performance?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back