JRiver User Discussion

Hi, Been using Foobar and JRMC 20.131. Off late keep going back to JR more and more. Room correction / Equalizer options are good. Using the little android app called "Gizmo". Works well as a remote to quickly switch tracks or pause. NAD USB Audio drivers streamline beautifully.

I did a brief comparison of foobar and JR. I still like like foobar more. With no EQ applied to either JR seems to roll off highs and therefore sounds more laid back and distant. Overall it sounds softer. My current personal liking is for an attacking and dynamic sound, and foobar does that much better. YMMV.

PS: I also tried upsampling in JR and liked it even less. It artificially smooths out everything. Too much editorialising!

I did a brief comparison of foobar and JR. I still like like foobar more. With no EQ applied to either JR seems to roll off highs and therefore sounds more laid back and distant. Overall it sounds softer. My current personal liking is for an attacking and dynamic sound, and foobar does that much better. YMMV.
I tried this briefly today. For me, JR20 is more dynamic. BUT, foobar seems clearer in the highs though some of the highs seem rolled off. But that [clearer] may be because of the roll off.

Last edited:
Even I tried JRiver last year, however I was/am using Foobar2000 but thought to give JR a try. It was warm and sounded like some kind of DSP running behind, Bass was not that good. JR sounded like below EQ is applied, in actual it was direct but don't know why it was sounding like this. Immediately I uninstalled JR. But Foobar is neutral, no colored sound, pure direct, clear highs and lows.

GraphicEqualizer01.jpg

Even I tried JRiver last year, however I was/am using Foobar2000 but thought to give JR a try. It was warm and sounded like some kind of DSP running behind, Bass was not that good. JR sounded like below EQ is applied, in actual it was direct but don't know why it was sounding like this. Immediately I uninstalled JR. But Foobar is neutral, no colored sound, pure direct, clear highs and lows.

With all due respect - I think you should check your settings.
JRiver or any software does not adversely affect the SQ to that extent.

^^ I did, everything was perfect as it should be. I did side by side comparison between Foobar and JR. Definitely there was difference, and JR sounded like something running behind the scripts/programming. It is accepted by many users, FMs. For me, Foobar is good.

^^ I did, everything was perfect as it should be. I did side by side comparison between Foobar and JR. Definitely there was difference, and JR sounded like something running behind the scripts/programming. It is accepted by many users, FMs. For me, Foobar is good.

I'm not saying there are no differences between the two. There are and most of us know what and where the differences are. But there is no way you can have a comparison between two media software and say one sounds that much different from the other. I am almost certain that you have a driver selection issue or you are going through the computer volume control from what you are describing.

My views are similar.I like Jriver in HT,but with music,its not clean sounding software.I have turned of all dsp processing,still not apealing in music.Foobar 1.1.10 is much cleaner and sounds musical to me.
As said earlier Cplay is different story.It is bit laid back and still enjoyable.Like some CDp.

Jriver has released v22 and in my setup it really sounds good.
Much smoother and cleaner in comparison to v20.

I skipped the v21 upgrade as I felt there was nothing there for audio.
In that time I was playing around with BugHead and HQPlayer with HiRes files.
I used JRiver primarily as a library management tool at which it still excels.

Last week I downloaded the v22 beta and was pleasantly surprised with the sound.
Not wanting to jump to conclusions I waited to see if others were hearing the same improvements I was.
Safe to say a few others have confirmed my observations and I feel good about recommending v22 to others.
JRiver has closed the gap with the other top players with this version.

JRiver is now much more than audio so there are a whole slew of features it offers.
For a comprehensive list of new features in v22 please look up the JRiver website.

Regards.

I am using JRiver MC 19 even in 2019 (lol!) and haven’t thought about any other interface (expect Roon) and totally satisfied over last 5 years. Music playback is fairly resolving and library, tagging features are great. I like the theatre mode the best when running music at random that display artist and album pics that JRiver picks from the internet and displays in a full screen mode.

Hi,

I run Jriver 24 and find that enabling the SoX re sampler the sound is smoother . I would like to know others impressions on the Sox re sampler.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

I run Jriver 24 and find that enabling the SoX re sampler the sound is smoother . I would like to know others impressions on the Sox re sampler.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,

I have been using JRiver with the SoX resampler and I really like the sound.
I used to have Roon but since v23 Jriver has closed the gap with the SoX resampler.

You may also like enabling Adaptive Volume in DSP Studio.
I have Volume Leveling enabled as well to keep things level matched.

Hi Rajiv,

I have been using JRiver with the SoX resampler and I really like the sound.
I used to have Roon but since v23 Jriver has closed the gap with the SoX resampler.

You may also like enabling Adaptive Volume in DSP Studio.
I have Volume Leveling enabled as well to keep things level matched.

View attachment 34382

Hi,

I read somewhere in the context of ideal Foobar setting that one should avoid the volume leveling in any player as it will impact the sound quality. Have anyone tried playing around with the volume leveling to see if there an impact on SQ, especially the songs with very high dynamic range. I believer JR can show the DR of a song.

I read somewhere in the context of ideal Foobar setting that one should avoid the volume leveling in any player as it will impact the sound quality. Have anyone tried playing around with the volume leveling to see if there an impact on SQ, especially the songs with very high dynamic range. I believer JR can show the DR of a song.

In JRiver Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume do not affect Dynamic Range. They are designed to be used together and complement the other to really bring out the sound especially at low listening levels. In my media library I have all files analysed using the Analyze Audio tool which among other things analyzes a file for loudness and DR.

Volume Leveling does a volume offset based on the R128 analysis method.
All tracks in the playlist are offset to an average volume level.

Adaptive Volume using PLN (Peak Level Normalize) does the same but in addition does an extra calculation to see how much louder the playlist can be turned up without clipping.

Together you get the playlist playing at an average "volume level" and at the same as time as high volume as possible.
In my experience it really enhances the listening experience.

Regards

Using JRiver 23 for Ht and found its decoding is better than Bitstreaming.
Bitstreaming makes sound bigger and softer.LPCM sounds fast and detailed.

I have been a long time JRiver user .. currently on 25. I use this as my Media center for hi Rez bit perfect playback and video transcoding on the fly for multiple devices. What I truly appreciate is the library management (I have more than 4tb of files , tens of playlists, custom metadata applied , artwork maintained ) , DLNA servers with multiple configuration ,the DSP processing ( especially the parametric eq which is a hidden gem ) ,sox and madvr support ..using the wdm driver and general speed of the application. A major problem with JRiver is their documentation for a newbie there’s way too much technical jargon and tons of forum threads to go through before they understand how to use it effectively.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back