Laptop for personal use

Love4sound

Dear Fm’s

Since my gaming PC as been laying idle I have decided to sell it and get a laptop.CPU my brother has decided to take it and only gaming monitor sale is pending which I have listed in sales section. So my requirements are a slim and sleek laptop for the regular browsing and other home use. Don’t need it for gaming or HTPC purpose. Only heavy usage will be installing vm ware for certification purpose as I am in IT network&security domain and i will be installing Linux. So will a windows 10 home version be enough for this purpose? Also suggest few good models and strictly no Mac as I have no interest and only require a windows laptop with a budget of 45-60K

Dear Fm’s

Since my gaming PC as been laying idle I have decided to sell it and get a laptop.CPU my brother has decided to take it and only gaming monitor sale is pending which I have listed in sales section. So my requirements are a slim and sleek laptop for the regular browsing and other home use. Don’t need it for gaming or HTPC purpose. Only heavy usage will be installing vm ware for certification purpose as I am in IT network&security domain and i will be installing Linux. So will a windows 10 home version be enough for this purpose? Also suggest few good models and strictly no Mac as I have no interest and only require a windows laptop with a budget of 45-60K

There are many....

If I were you, would check if the Laptop RAM can be updated if required, use the Laptop for minimum 3 years...SSD would be the preferred storage....

I would prefer HP or Acer or Dell for their reliability, built quality, performance and after sales service.

Dear Fm’s

If gaming is not a priority, get a laptop with a 3rd generation Ryzen CPU(will be marked 4xxx), preferably a Ryzen 5 4500u or a Ryzem 4700U if you want the very best performance in latops vis-a-vis productivity (such as photoshop, video rendering, 3D editing, etc.). They will have the 10th generation core i7s for lunch. You should checkout the margin by which they beat out the Intel CPUs in both synthetic as well as real world benchmarks. And considering they are built on the 7nm process, they provide superior battery life while also performing better.

You can checkout the following laptops:

If you can make the stretch, this is a good do it all:

If you want the very best performance, get this:

If you want to stick with Intel, then it does not make sense to spend any more than this:

Light gaming with intel:

Recently I have purchased Dell Inspiron 14 5000 series i3 for 58k. To me, Dell have good build quality, great looks and nice features ( full touch screen, stylus etc upto my knowledge). Due to lockdown I may not able to search extensively and stores also have limited availability of Laptop. Limited the search upto Dell and HP .....due to past good experience

You may consider Asus Zenbook. It is very sleek laptop and i5+256SSD should be available in 55-60k range.
Second this

bought this for my niece recently, the grey model which was 50k. gold version sells for 46k sometimes
build quality is fantastic, light weight, decent spec, battery life is good, good screen ( 14 inch though)

I was searching for a laptop with similar needs. Compared / evaluated dozen laptops and ended with this.

I7 – 10th Gen (quad core)

8 GB RAM

512 GB Nvme SSD (5 times faster than SATA SSD)

2GB Nvidia Graphics

802.11 b/g/n/ac wifi adapter (ac is very important if your internet speed is more than 100 mbps)

14” FHD display

1.3 Kg

Battery lasts for more than 10 hours

Price : Rs.59,999/-

I have been using this laptop for the last three days. Posting this message from this laptop. Super value for money. I have another gaming laptop from HP with i7(quad core), 16 GB RAM and 4GB Nvidia Graphics and HDD (1.8K USD, no idea how many lakhs it sells here). This laptop throws HP into water with blazing speed and top notch performance. Battery lasts for more than 10 hours. I have not tested the max battery hours. After experiencing it, I have ordered one more for my son.

Cons:

Can’t add RAM

No backlit keyboard (I am able to manage with display brightness when using it in pitch dark)

No inbuilt webcam (Supplied separately)

Same configuration with backlit keyboard from other brands cost 90K to 1.2 L. I didn’t want to pay 30K extra for backlit keyboard.

But this laptop is not suitable for nationalists.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B089F2W1KW/ref=twister_B08B9CSX32?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Since you will be running virtual machines on it, the following are a must
- A processor (preferably Intel) with VT-x. All Intel CPUs after i3 have this.
- An SSD. I know this increases the price if you want a bigger one, but you can go for one with a smaller SSD (say 256GB) for running the VMs and store other data on an HDD. Many laptops come with SSD+HDD.
- Plenty (at least 16GB) of RAM. You can also buy one with 8GB and add another 8GB later if it's cheaper to do so, but make sure there are free slots.

Instead of suggesting specific models, I have listed the things that I think are important given your use case. Regular browsing and home use does not need much, but running VMs needs a lot of juice.

+1 to what @skroderider said
You will need 16GB RAM and a decent CPU if the VM is doing number crunching
HDD/Storage depends on how much you want to allocate to Guest VM

Cheers,
Raghu

I recently bought two laptops dell latitude 5480 without harddisk. I got this laptop from Germany based software company which shutdown its center in India. So I got two laptops for 50K. And I have installed Samsung 970 ssd 500 gb memory into each cost around 10.5K. So this are the best laptops I have came across till date. Please check the link for the laptops: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/dell-latitude-5480-6002.

Recently I have purchased Dell Inspiron 14 5000 series i3 for 58k. To me, Dell have good build quality, great looks and nice features ( full touch screen, stylus etc upto my knowledge). Due to lockdown I may not able to search extensively and stores also have limited availability of Laptop. Limited the search upto Dell and HP .....due to past good experience
Thats pretty steep for an i3. I hope it was a 10th generation one? I avoid HP because i have seen them fail very often.

Second this

bought this for my niece recently, the grey model which was 50k. gold version sells for 46k sometimes
build quality is fantastic, light weight, decent spec, battery life is good, good screen ( 14 inch though)
But its got DDR3 ram.

Thanks every one so I checked so many models and this one seems to fit perfectly for my requirements. Any thoughts? Only negative feedback is battery life which is just 2.5 hours for a new laptop on full charge

Thanks every one so I checked so many models and this one seems to fit perfectly for my requirements. Any thoughts? Only negative feedback is battery life which is just 2.5 hours for a new laptop on full charge

the brightness is pretty low too. and 2.5 hrs is unacceptable. theres no point going for a thin or light if the battery life is abysmal. My current laptop is an Asus and i made the same mistake 4 years ago by looking at the spec sheet and foregoing battery life.

the brightness is pretty low too. and 2.5 hrs is unacceptable. theres no point going for a thin or light if the battery life is abysmal. My current laptop is an Asus and i made the same mistake 4 years ago by looking at the spec sheet and foregoing battery life.
Ok will look at other models

Does not say that it has an IPS panel either. Non-IPS panels from Asus are the worst and look completely washed out with terrible viewing angles. I know cuz i have one. avoid like the plague.

Ok will look at other models
If you want o go Asus, go the IPS way and a ryzen CPU. AMD has been in the business just as long as intel and had it not been for their athlon lineup, we would never have seen core 2 due and core i3/5/7 processors. Intel has fallen behind in the game again and they are a sinking ship with still being stuck in the 10nm process and Apple having abandoned them. Also, Intel CPUs are horribly lagging b ehind in terms of performance to AMD CPUs which also offer better battery life. Choose the brand of laptop manufacturer you prefer and go with an AMD processor.

FYI, the new iMac Pro comes with an AMD EYPC processor and has ditched intel because of its superior productivity performance. Plus, why do you think Apple has ditched intel and chosen to go the apple silicon way. its not only because their profit margins would be higher.

since we reaserch so much on audio equipment, i urge you to research further on this. there is not a single tech enthusiast/reviewer who will recommend intel over amd for non-gaming applications (intel still gets marginally better FPS for the same price)

If you want o go Asus, go the IPS way and a ryzen CPU. AMD has been in the business just as long as intel and had it not been for their athlon lineup, we would never have seen core 2 due and core i3/5/7 processors. Intel has fallen behind in the game again and they are a sinking ship with still being stuck in the 10nm process and Apple having abandoned them. Also, Intel CPUs are horribly lagging b ehind in terms of performance to AMD CPUs which also offer better battery life. Choose the brand of laptop manufacturer you prefer and go with an AMD processor.

FYI, the new iMac Pro comes with an AMD EYPC processor and has ditched intel because of its superior productivity performance. Plus, why do you think Apple has ditched intel and chosen to go the apple silicon way. its not only because their profit margins would be higher.

since we reaserch so much on audio equipment, i urge you to research further on this. there is not a single tech enthusiast/reviewer who will recommend intel over amd for non-gaming applications (intel still gets marginally better FPS for the same price)
Ok I know amd is better but have no clue on their line up. For example in intel we know i7>i5>i3 and also 10gen is the latest and may be better then previous generations. So in AMD how it is classified.
If running VMs, battery charge depletes very quickly.
Cheers,
Raghu
Yeah but I haven’t come upon any laptop that has good reviews for battery back up. Even some of the expensive models have low ratings for battery back up.

Your requirements are very minimal, so it is better to spend wisely. Recently both Mi and Honor have launched their laptops. Though Mi laptops are not good compared to their Chinese variants - it is still better compared to other laptops available in their price bracket here.

Meanwhile check Honor's as well, I personally feel their laptop is more VFM than Mi's comparatively. wait for few weeks and check detailed performance reviews:

Honor:

Mi:

Mi have a higher end variant as well.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back