LCD Confusion

navinkaus

I have seen following LCDs with their prices:

1. Philips-42PFL7432 Rs53990
2. Philips-37A2800 Rs44990
3. Samsung-32A450 Rs40000
4. Samsung-37A450 Rs56000

I want to buy minimum 37 inch LCD but SAMSUNG costs too much Rs56,000 in that much amount I can get Philips full HD 42 inch for RS54000

Samsung 4 series is not full HD....

Can anybody suggest for which one I should go from above mentioned models ?

Thanks,
Navin

Navin:

I was not able to get any information on Philips-37A2800. If you have some details please send them to me.

Regarding the other here are the main features:

1. Philips-42PFL7432 Rs53990

1920x1080 Pixels
4000: 1 contrast ratio
LCD Speed : 8 ms
Display Capability: 1080p

3. Samsung-32A450 Rs40000

1366x768 pixels
10,000:1 contrast ratio
LCD Speed: 6 ms
Display Capability: 720P

4. Samsung-37A450 Rs56000

1366x768 pixels
10,000:1 contrast ratio
LCD Speed: 6 ms
Display Capability: 720P

The only difference between the Samsung's is their size. Otherwise the specs are the same.

The Philips can support 1080P. In other words it can display Full HD.

Between these two you have the following choices:

1. If you want Full HD - you have to go for the Philips.
2. If you looking for a LCD with better specs, you have to go for the Samsung. But you will get only 720p. As I have mentioned elsewhere, for any screen size less than 42 inches, 720P is enough.

I don't know what your budget is, but I think you have look some more in the market. I am sure there are better models available.

Cheers

Hi Navin,
If you are really tight on budget, (and even if you were not), I would recommend you to go for a 42" plasma.
Given below are specs of Panasonic PV8, the model that I bought 2 weeks ago after selling off my 5 months old 32" LG LCD.

Panasonic-42PV8D Rs.54,000
1024x768 Pixels
10,00,000: 1 contrast ratio
Response Time (or display speed) : Of the order of 0.002ms (not actually mentioned in the spec sheet)
Display Capability: 720p

As you can see above, the specs are so good in a plasma that it can put to shame even the best in class LCDs. For example, it can anyday beat LG scarlet 42" costing more than a lakh.
And these specs do actually translate to very good performance.
The colour rendition in my new Plasma TV is far better than my previous LCD TV, blacks are much deeper (in LCD, they tend to become greyish at high brightness or when viewed from angles), motion judder is very less (in a fast moving ticker, you can easily identify the judder in an LCD).
As a result, the picture looks far more soothing & natural on the eyes.
If you are not too particular on power consumption and weight of the TV (it consumes double the power & weighs double than a LCD), then do consider a Plasma TV. Samsung is also worth considering for Plasmas.

For about 53 to 55k (without exchange) you can also get a Samsung 42" plasma, the 410 model, which I have. It's very very good, and excellent value for money. In general also do look at plasmas and compare the pictures, you might find that you like it better than the LCDs.

The Philips display sounds rather ordinary with regard to contrast ratio and response, and it may not be worth investing in.

well samsung plasmas are realy bad ,the panasonic models are miles better.

now whats ur viewing distance and are u going to use it for any gaming,or HD videos.

wow....that's the first time i am hearing anyone say that.....i can say from personal experience and extensive auditions that the samsung plasmas are excellent and are easily comparable with the Panasonic....and now I will call upon reignofchaos who did a systematic comparison of the panasonic and the samsung and concluded that the samsung has better HD pictures than the Panasonic....

either ways, all our opinions are just opinions, so it's best you go check them out yourself

with regard to viewing distance, if you have about 7-8 feet that's enough for 42 inches...

now whats ur viewing distance and are u going to use it for any gaming,or HD videos.

Have you seen one in action before making that comment? I had an opportunity to properly calibrate a samsung 410 and a panasonic PV70 and for hd content, the 410 was way better in terms of sharpness, shadow detail and color. For SD content it was not great though... it was terrible. The panel is good but the electronics suck bigtime on the samsung.

For 60k or so, I'd suggest you get the Panasonic 42PV80.

no i havent seen the new samsung 410 so i guess it being newer is better since chaos seen them;) but the samsung model i saw was PS42C91H in this model the picture is not sharp and colors where kind of different.

I have a Sony Bravia S400 and can vouch that it is excellent at upscaling DVD and normal cable TV reception. All Sony Bravia have excellent on-screen menu controls. Although like all LCD TVs, its sound quality is poor compared to my old Sony CRT. I wish they give away the woofer with 19" T series model with all other models. The prices have come down and dealers happily offer 2-3000 discount. I also like their design as compared to LG and Samsung which look like large computer monitors. Sony looks serious.

the look is entirely a matter of personal choice i suppose....I for one ruled out the Sony S-series based purely on appearance....i really liked the picture, but I just couldn't stomach the appearance.....

I have a Sony Bravia S400 and can vouch that it is excellent at upscaling DVD and normal cable TV reception. All Sony Bravia have excellent on-screen menu controls. Although like all LCD TVs, its sound quality is poor compared to my old Sony CRT. I wish they give away the woofer with 19" T series model with all other models. The prices have come down and dealers happily offer 2-3000 discount. I also like their design as compared to LG and Samsung which look like large computer monitors. Sony looks serious.

the look is entirely a matter of personal choice i suppose....I for one ruled out the Sony S-series based purely on appearance....i really liked the picture, but I just couldn't stomach the appearance.....

yes i agree ever since the first S series the KLV-S..A10 to KLV-..S400A sucked in terms of looks, except the the KLV-..S310A best looking S series IMO.

hey buddy can u tell me which one is better of the following two:

Sony KLV-32W400A
Panasonic 42PV8D

thanks

Interesting options there. I can see that you are using price as the primary determinant. The 32W400A is a lovely LCD display. But I would personally any day recommend the 42PV8 because a) i like plasma pictures better, do compare them yourself and see if you agree....better blacks, better colours, better motion.....b) the size matters.......32 inches doesnt' feel like big-screen experience.....42 inches does......c) while the W400 is Full HD, the benefits of that will be all but invisible at that size.....

Therefore i strongly recommend the 42PV8

hey buddy can u tell me which one is better of the following two:

Sony KLV-32W400A
Panasonic 42PV8D

thanks

oh yes with regard to your specific points....picture quality, colour and contrast the PV8 will outdo the W400A, although i'd leave it to you to view them and decide.

ghosting is not an issue on LCDs, and is increasingly irrelevant with regard to plasmas, due to the various technologies built in to deal with it. Combined with a little bit of care, the plasma makes for a far more attractive proposition.

I started the forum with which one to choose from the mentioned models but another chain started between LCD and Plasma. Now you people have confused me whether to go for Plasma or LCD.

My max budget is Rs 55,000 as I will have to take the Onkyo Home Theatre also, I don't want LCD with home theatre.

I am wondering why there is so much difference in price between samsung 32 ( 40,000 ) and 37 ( Rs 56000) LCD of 4 series.

Summary, following questions popped up now.

1. LCD or PLASMA
2. What is difference between full HD and HD ready, does full HD really matter in India ?
3. In Rs 55,000 I am getting Philips-42PFL7432 full hd or Samsung 37 4 series, for which one I should go...budget is the constraint.

hey buddy

I can manage both
which one is better in picture quality, colours, ghosting problem and better contrast?

thanks

well the contrast measured by a professional review site puts the sony KLV-32W400A at 2500:1 measured contrast and the panasonic at a measured contrast of 1800:1.if u happen to use it for gaming the sony as the advantages being a lcd has minimal burn in issue where as the panasonic plasma may have a burn in which is warned in review site.
ghosting is no longer a issue.

the draws back mentioned in the panasonic review are
1 The panel's light color
2 Menus overly simple, settings should be more gradual
3 Lack of sharpness in HD

the drawback mentioned in the sony are
1 Sound isn??t up to par with the excellent image quality.

but if u happen to use it only for SD viewing like ur local cable ,then a tv with lower resolution is better since the plasma as only 1024x768 pixels so the tv has marginally less to upscale vs the sony 1920x1080 resolution.for HD viewing sony is a winner.

so in the end the sony gets 5 out 5 where as the panasonic gets 4 out 5.

I started the forum with which one to choose from the mentioned models but another chain started between LCD and Plasma. Now you people have confused me whether to go for Plasma or LCD.

:):):):) These forums are always like a class full of mischievous kids. All wanting to say their bit

My max budget is Rs 55,000 as I will have to take the Onkyo Home Theatre also, I don't want LCD with home theatre.

I am wondering why there is so much difference in price between samsung 32 ( 40,000 ) and 37 ( Rs 56000) LCD of 4 series.

The larger panels are more expensive to manufacture. In addition, to drive larger panels you need more powerful electronics inside. That is the reason for the cost difference.

Summary, following questions popped up now.

1. LCD or PLASMA
2. What is difference between full HD and HD ready, does full HD really matter in India ?
3. In Rs 55,000 I am getting Philips-42PFL7432 full hd or Samsung 37 4 series, for which one I should go...budget is the constraint.

1. LCD or Plasma? The difference is very thin. A couple of years ago one could argue that Plasma was better for clarity and for motion. Today LCD panels have come a long way and can compete with Plasma, at least upto 42 inches.

2. Full HD and HD Ready? A full HD has 1920x1080 pixels. A HD Ready has 1920x 768 pixels. Many DVD Players and AVRs today upscale upyo 1080p, and that can be displayed in all its glory only on a Full HD Panel. Again, as I mentioned, a Full HD panel will matter only in 42 inches and above.

3. Samsung or Philips? I have already answered this question. The Samsung is better in terms of features, while the Philips supports Full HD and is 42 inches in size. You can make the decision easily depending upon your requirement.

There are a number of threads on 1080p. Please read them and then make up your mind what you want.

BTW, you say you have seen the TVs. Have you auditioned these systems? If not please take a your own DVD (with fast action) and first audition these systems. You decision will then be much easier. You just buy what your eyes like.

Cheers

Thanks venkat for your detail reply. Your reply to point 2 is still not clear to me.
Why HD panel does not matter <=42 inch ?

Thanks,
Navin

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back