LCD-LED comparable to Panasonic 50V20

kapilg

Friends,

I am somehow planning to extend by budget to 1.2-1.3 L for 50" TV. The best and latest plasma seems to be Panny PV20, However few friends are suggesting to go for LED, if I am spending this much.

I also have a HT system (Denon 2310,Oppo-83,HSU VTF2 Mk3, Paradigm Studio 60 V5 speakers) that I will use for movies.

I am confused.

My usage will be 40 % movies (2-3 movies a week) and rest television (Including cartoons) for my 2 little children.

Can someone help finding out what latest options (2010) are available in this range for LED/LCD and what benefits/drawbacks it has as compared to PV20.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Friends,

I am somehow planning to extend by budget to 1.2-1.3 L for 50" TV. The best and latest plasma seems to be Panny PV20, However few friends are suggesting to go for LED, if I am spending this much.

I also have a HT system (Denon 2310,Oppo-83,HSU VTF2 Mk3, Paradigm Studio 60 V5 speakers) that I will use for movies.

I am confused.

My usage will be 40 % movies (2-3 movies a week) and rest television (Including cartoons) for my 2 little children.

Can someone help finding out what latest options (2010) are available in this range for LED/LCD and what benefits/drawbacks it has as compared to PV20.

Thanks.

You cannot get a 50(+)" LED for the price you mentioned.

Dear Blasto,

What are the prices for good 50" LEDs . I thought LG will be around that range.

Well you can wait for the LG infinia 55LX9500 local dimming 3d tv which i believe will be cheaper then other brands.
but i have my doubts about its price being within your budget.

Can someone quote best LEDs of 2010 in 50' and their approx prices to help me move forward.

Well the Best upcoming performance LED lcds are the Sony HX900,LX900 both have UV2A panel come with local and limited dimming priced respectively priced well above 2lakh .
Samsung C9xxxx may be launched in india.

Couple of weeks i had noticed that LG 9500 3D LED TV was listed at 3 Lakhs for 55 inches TV on the LG website.

Samsung 55" B 7000 was available for 170000 in Reliance digital few weeks back. This was the cheapest 50+ inch LED TV couple of weeks back and I am not sure whether this TV is still available.

LG till now has not launched 50+ LED TV in india. I really hoped that they would launch 55 LH90 but instead they removed the 47 LH90. :mad:. I think LG marketing team is totally screwed up.

That is poor advice from obviously misinformed friends. Buy the Panasonic 50" V20 and believe you me, you will thank me for the advice. The Panasonic 50" V20 is better than any LED backlit LCD TV available in India at almost any price point. Don't fall for the false marketing hype of so called LED TVs, they are first of all not LED TVs, rather they are simply LCD TVS that use LED's as their light source instead of the conventional CFL bulbs. LED sidelit/backlit by in itself have no inherint benefits for picture quality. Local dimming LED backlit TVs do benefit to some extent, from the local dimming source of light, but the fact is that except for the very highest end TVs (not sold in India), LED lighting comes with their own set of problems, thus nullifying whatever gain there is in terms of draker blacks.

if you want the best HDTV and can extend your budget a bit i would advise you to wait till the launch (second week of august) of Panny VT20. MRP would be approx. 1.8 lacs and a good deal would be 1.6 lacs.
Where did you get this information from? I personally am afraid the prices might be substantially higher, considering the standard Panasonic practise of fleecing the Indian customer.

Where did you get this information from? I personally am afraid the prices might be substantially higher, considering the standard Panasonic practise of fleecing the Indian customer.

i got this info from a panny sales manager who is a good friend (he witnessed the launch of VT20 in Delhi) their sales training for VT20 has already begun. I started taking him seriously when his prediction way back in January about no G series in India this year became reality.

(he witnessed the launch of VT20 in Delhi) their sales training for VT20 has already begun.
This is another unique concept only followed in India, wehereby a product is supposedly officially launched but not available at retail for months after that. Why we Indians cannot differentiate between 'launching' and 'showcasing', or why can't companies simply wait till they have product to sell, before putting money and effort into launching the product, is beyond me.

What is the exact difference, Pros/cons of V20 and VT20.
There are only two but very major differences between the VT20 & V20 models.

VT20 models are '3D' and also they have the 'Infinite Black Pro' panel which produce much deeper blacks. Whereas the V20 models are not '3D' and they have the lower 'Infinite Black' panel.

There are only two but very major differences between the VT20 & V20 models.

VT20 models are '3D' and also they have the 'Infinite Black Pro' panel which produce much deeper blacks. Whereas the V20 models are not '3D' and they have the lower 'Infinite Black' panel.

+ it has fast phosphor tech. (lesser green trail / ghosting) & is THX certified.

Friends,

I am confused.

Thanks.
No LED/LCD available in india can beat the V20D. The UK version (V20B), that has the THX mode and the infinite black pro panel got the following review: Panasonic V20 (TX-P50V20B) Review at AVForums.com

I tend to believe in AVF reviews. Even with the infinite black panel this beats all comptetion hands down. Do not go by marketing gimmick. Nothing can give you better color, contrast, viewing angle and motion processing speed as a plasma. By the way, the 600Hz processing thingy is crap. It requires no motion compensation. Phosphor trails are practically non existent. The upcoming VT20 has 3d using active shutter glasses. You want to watch TV wearing glasses?

IMO, 3d is going to be useless for the mass unless the companies can come-up with something similar to the nintendo 3ds display. More, since the glasses would typically cost something around 8K INR per set.

Santanu

Does Indian V20 also have the infinite black pro panel. It does not have THX for sure. Right ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back