LCD-LED comparable to Panasonic 50V20

Sanjay,

If these two things are not there, How different is V20 from V10. Is it still worth 1.2 L. On the other hand we have LG PK550 at approx 60 K ie half the price and it has a better rating than V10 ( reviews )

Is V20 worth double the amount. I know Panasonic is best known for plasmas but I am talking about a particular model and taking specifics of features and price as reference.

Spending 1.2 L only for Panasonic name does not seem justified, unless the benefits of V20 are more than my understanding.

Secondly, What is normal life of of a plasma TV and how dull it gets after, say 2 -3 years.

I would any day recommend panny over any brand in plasmas (kuro being dead now) but IMHO the V20 does not deserve such a premium that is being asked for. The 3d VT25 from panny scheduled to be commercially launched by mid august should be the one which should be looked for features as it apart from 3D it contains "infinite black pro" and THX certification. Again the pricing would be a deterrant for many aspiring people like me.

Dont know when panny guys will realise that india is a very very price sensitive market and even Mc donalds here had to come out with a Rs 20 burger for sales to improve significantly..

I would any day recommend panny over any brand in plasmas (kuro being dead now) but IMHO the V20 does not deserve such a premium that is being asked for. The 3d VT25 from panny scheduled to be commercially launched by mid august should be the one which should be looked for features as it apart from 3D it contains "infinite black pro" and THX certification. Again the pricing would be a deterrant for many aspiring people like me.

Dont know when panny guys will realise that india is a very very price sensitive market and even Mc donalds here had to come out with a Rs 20 burger for sales to improve significantly..

VT25 is beyond my budget. I was planning to purchase PK550/CC550 and was stretching the pocket for V20. Now in general panny plasmas are better,But I am not too sure that V20 is worth double the price of PK550. Your views above are appreciated but it has hardly helped me reach a conclusion.

the other day, I was in Pansonic brand shop and demoed 42V20. After that I picked up brochure and went home to read specifications carelfully. I was surprised that 50V20 comes in two categories "Infinite Black" and "IB pro" panel. I don't know if it was mistake in brochure but I didn't inquire much as I was not interested in 50". May be you should have a look at brochure and discuss with dealer about it.

I would suggest that you go and demo all the three LG PK550, Samsung C550 and Panasonice V20. Then you can decide whether V20 is actually worth more than PK550 and C550. If you are not a hardcode gamer I would suggest you to go for PK550 or C550. These TV's are equally good. Finally its your call.

I have recently bought PK550 and I am happy with it. The picture quality is pretty good. Initially I was very much inclined to buy the Samsung LED C7000 55 inches for 1,80,000Rs. But then i realized the so called cutting edge technology will not be obsolete in another 3 years and when i demoed both C7000 and PK550, i really could not find any major difference between the picture quality of these two TVs with both HD and DTH. Maybe there are experts in this forum who can easily find that C7000 is way better than PK550, but for me it did not make much of a difference. So i finally decided to go for PK550 (Samsung C550 was not available at the time of my buying). I am spending the extra money on a HT system and media player.

In 3-5 years time when 3D technology gets settled and matures, I will buy my 3D Tv.

VT25 is beyond my budget. I was planning to purchase PK550/CC550 and was stretching the pocket for V20. Now in general panny plasmas are better,But I am not too sure that V20 is worth double the price of PK550. Your views above are appreciated but it has hardly helped me reach a conclusion.

The best buy after going through all posts on hifi and other forums is that the best VFM in plasmas today is LG 50PK550R...with all its shortcomings... technology will keep on evolving everyday hence no end to what the future holds.

Illusion Heart,

You seem to be right, but reflection seems to be major problem with Pk550.

I agree kapil. But considering the price/sceen/value ratios it is much easier and cheaper to manage the reflection into the room or on the screen with ambient lighting. Besides its everyone personal choice.

I am in no way campaigining for LG as a brand but communicating the reality in front of us

While most of us do aspire to buy the latest, biggest and most technologically advanced television in the market but the price we need to offer is primarily the key deciding parameter. I might be able to manage the money to buy a panny 50V20 or 50VT25- 3D, but for what in return, even those TVs have their own set of issues.

Last edited:
I understand.

OK. Lets say I buy a Samsung CC550. On what all points will I be loosing/gaining as compared to PK 550 in your view.

I understand.

OK. Lets say I buy a Samsung CC550. On what all points will I be loosing/gaining as compared to PK 550 in your view.

Honestly no too much info available on C550 currently neithe ris the model hence difficult to comment. Most of the comparisons are based on 2009 samsung model and expected performance.

If you really want a good comparison between both you will need to wait for some more time.

On the other hand we have LG PK550 at approx 60 K ie half the price and it has a better rating than V10 ( reviews )
First of all, that is just one person's views/ratings. In actuality the V20 is today rated by most reviewers as the one of the best flat panel tv there is, only outdone by the Panasonic VT20.
If these two things are not there, How different is V20 from V10. Is it still worth 1.2 L.

Is V20 worth double the amount. I know Panasonic is best known for plasmas but I am talking about a particular model and taking specifics of features and price as reference.

Spending 1.2 L only for Panasonic name does not seem justified, unless the benefits of V20 are more than my understanding.
The worth of anything is dependent and two major things. The first being, the buyer's paying capacity and secondly important the product is in the buyer's life. For eg. to some audio/video is very important and thus they will even stretch their budgets just to get the little extra that more expensive models bring. The return on investment in TVs, in terms of better quality, like most other things in life, becomes lesser and lesser as you move up the model chain. In short, if money is not an object, then I'd say the V20 is definately worth the approx. 1.15 lakhs price, specially considering that it is supposed to be quite a bit better in picture quality than the V10, which even at the end of it's availabilty was never sold below 1.2 - 1.25 lakhs.
Secondly, What is normal life of of a plasma TV and how dull it gets after, say 2 -3 years.
It is shocking how much this Myth has spread about Plasmas having a short life. You are the third person to raise this question in the last two days. Anyhow, the life of a Plasma TV is as long as any LCD, ie. atleast 10 years to half brightness and that is with 8 hrs of viewing 365 days a year. If you watch 4 hrs a day, then you are looking at almost 20 years to half brightness and this at the lowest quoted 30,000 hrs life by any Plasma manufacturer. Some have even claimed that their Plasmas have tested upto 60,000 hrs to half brightness.

It is shocking how much this Myth has spread about Plasmas having a short life. You are the third person to raise this question in the last two days. Anyhow, the life of a Plasma TV is as long as any LCD, ie. atleast 10 years to half brightness and that is with 8 hrs of viewing 365 days a year. If you watch 4 hrs a day, then you are looking at almost 20 years to half brightness and this at the lowest quoted 30,000 hrs life by any Plasma manufacturer. Some have even claimed that their Plasmas have tested upto 60,000 hrs to half brightness.

Thats what they claim but first hand experience with a Pioneer 5080HD that belongs to a friend makes me doubt that claim. His Kuro is down to well below half its original brightness and he hardly uses his tv for a couple of hours a day.

I'd take those manufacturer suggested half life times with a pinch of salt.

Thats what they claim but first hand experience with a Pioneer 5080HD that belongs to a friend makes me doubt that claim. His Kuro is down to well below half its original brightness and he hardly uses his tv for a couple of hours a day.

I'd take those manufacturer suggested half life times with a pinch of salt.
Without doubting or commenting on the situation with your friend's TV, all I would say is that maybe there are other factors responsible for this. In any case, I have several Plasmas in my family & friends circle and none of them have this issue even after having had the TVs for over 3 - 4 years.

As i have said earlier before the,the lcds or plasma reach those huge manufacture rated life span,the electronics will fail.Some i know who have had plasma before have since moved to lcds for this very reason.

hello
Am thinking of the panny 50V20 .. whats is the price thats being quoted... i agree that plasma have a greater black depth compared to the " SO CALLED LED " ..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back