LCD vs. Plasma

marsilians

I have seen a lot of threads enquiring about which TV to buy as the manufacturers have made it very difficult to judge based on simple criteria. I had read this article on widescreen review a while ago when walking through a purchase decision for an HT install. Thought that you get a good perspective on the differences (and purpoted advantages) of Plasma vs. LCD.

HDTV and Multimedia Display Technology Shoot-Out

This article was part of a series called 'Science of Imaging' series in the magazine.

Dr. Raymond Soneira works for Displaymate Technologies, an organisation that manufactures equipment for video calibration and diagnostics. He is a knowledable authority on the subject having had hands on experience in designing building and teaching.

He cuts through all the marketing hype and calls out the 'best selling features' such as colour, contrast and brightness as not necessarily the deciding factors in the decision.

Bottom line, LCDs are cheaper to make than plasma and the profits are larger, so we are forced to buy low standard stuff while being bombarded with lies and gimicry.

As a side note, true OLED (not LCD with LED backlights) are a very good alternative to Plasma in terms of performance. More to come on that in a short while.

Well in case one didn't know the shootout is quite old.

And your own words Remember to search on the forum before posting

Well in case one didn't know the shootout is quite old.

And your own words Remember to search on the forum before posting

If you observe, I did mention that the article was published 'a while ago', so that hopefully sets the context.

Re; searching, good call as I did search but saw that a refernce was made to an abridged version of the review which again did not provide all the details. So your point is taken.

With the no. of questions that are being asked, I think its fair to share some quantitative comparisons instead of subjective ones and that was what my post was meant to address.

@sanjay0864 Why did I not include it with the current LCD vs. Plasma - myth thread? simple reason, the comparison was more narrower in that thread - its only a technological shootout (on hindsight I should have called mine something such as TV monitors shootout).

Bottom line, LCDs are cheaper to make than plasma and the profits are larger, so we are forced to buy low standard stuff while being bombarded with lies and gimicry.

LCDs are cheaper to make than plasma..... upto a certain size. At bigger screen sizes LCDs are much more expensive than plasmas. For example, the Sony KDL-70X3500 (a 70 inch LCD TV) carries a price tag of 20 lakhs. A similar sized plasma would cost much much less.

LCDs are cheaper to make than plasma..... upto a certain size. At bigger screen sizes LCDs are much more expensive than plasmas. For example, the Sony KDL-70X3500 (a 70 inch LCD TV) carries a price tag of 20 lakhs. A similar sized plasma would cost much much less.

And if one looks at the profits of companies that only make lcd panels,they aren't always doing well posting losses at sometimes,due to heavy competition.

Sony hopes that that their lcd tv business will only get even or start making profit only in 2010 and upwards ,since they have been making loss for a couple of years in their history.So its not about profits.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back